Should teachers hit students? Case highlights teacher/student/parent relationships in Thailand

webfact

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The teacher said three boys had arrived late to class and couldn't remember their log in details and were told to go to the front of the class

So many better ways to deal with idiots students... hitting achieves does nothing.

• Thanks 1

Students having to bow down, below the teacher.

That says it all right there.

Thai education has not advanced one bit in the past 40 years.

Blame that on the quality of the teachers, expecting extreme obedience and superiority instead of education.

Kids are too fearful to express themselves or to think for themselves.

Actually I support spanking a kid when nessary with the caveats of warnings parents being notified following a set set of rules so everyone knows the consequences of bad behavior.I remember being terrified of getting paddled by the principal when I was a kid .never do I support smacking a kid out of frustration or momentary anger hence the set of warnings in wrighting with the parents permission trust me most of the little scallawags will shape up lol 

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'd be curious to see what someone dead against any kind of corporal punishment would say in a situation like this.  If there was really no other way than giving them a slight whack to make them behave, and the alternative was no education and a miserable penniless existence, how can it be seen as unacceptable?  If that is what can make a very bad student change their ways, how can you say it should never be allowed under any circumstances?

It has never made any student change their ways.

Still have tech school students killing each other every chance they get.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Adults in a civilised adult workplace do not behave like troubled children in a school.  If they did, they would be sacked.  If all troubled children in a school could be "fired", maybe things would be different, but that is generally an undesirable outcome (possibly even "not allowed").

Imagine you had to deal with a mentally unstable adult in your workplace who regularly did little work and fought with your other employees, but you could never fire them.  You fond that a ruler across the knuckles made them calm down, stop fighting and get on with their work.  Are you telling me that wouldn't seem like an attractive option?

Until the company got sued or the worker comes back and shoots the place up.

Violence only increases the chances of more violence.

Teacher's are in a place of trust and are there to teach not commit violence or abuse students in anyway.

Perhaps they think that by abusing students they are going to be better people when in fact the student will remember the abuse more than what is being taught.

Dinosaur actions, from dinosaur brains.

The bleeding hearts here that say corporal punishment should be banned are the same ones that let their kids yell and run around restaurant or will try to negotiate with a 5 year old that wants a toy or candy.

You absolutely go off your nut if you saw me or my daughter and son in law

Grandkids want to cry and throw a fit first it is mocking them then it is a slap on the ass.

Daughter doing well grandson just graduated and accepted to university in Canada

With 35 students in a classroom you do not have the ye yo play games 

• Like 1

For those dead set against corporal punishment, don't forget that a child can be verbally, emotionally, or psychologically abused as well. Belittling, ridiculing, humiliating, bullying, berating can sometimes leave far deeper scars than some forms of corporal punishment.

And then there's what's probably the most rampant form of abuse of them all: neglect. The teacher can just ignore the kid, never assign homework, turn a blind eye to truancy, and at the end of the school year find a creative way to give them a passing grade, all the while never laying a finger on a child. If that's your idea of a good teacher, you're in luck, because there are plenty of teachers out there who fit this profile.

• Thanks 2

When I went to grade school in the US it was a very small school. Our Principal was also 7&8th grade teacher. One lady teacher would grab a kid's ear and twist to make him behave. The principle was greatly feared, why? Not sure really. I don't believe any kid was actually physically punished. But the the threat of seeing principal was all it took.

That was in a time when teachers were respected.

• Like 1

of course you never raise your hands to kids, unless they are trying to kill you or have a dangerous weapon.  99.9% of the time they don't.

here's the bad news.  This is NOTHING.   Fire the teacher, sure, get rid of her; however, I've seen and reported to the police much worse.

Police checked, school said no video, police left.  The policeman was my friend and this was after I left the school.

i've seen horrible, horrible stuff........90% ladies wanting to inflict hll on these kids.  their eyes told the story.  mental illness, maybe.  these kids were like 10. i forget, but around that age.

seen falangs hit students.  that's worse.  they think they can because Thais do it.  

10-years ago this was a major problem.  Luckily smartphones have really helped many kids stay safe(r).

gotta overhaul the entire education system...........hahaha.  never.

There are sometimes students with horrible behavior. Of course they are huge minority but they may belong to this group who got hit by teachers.

I remember once while I still worked as a teacher, my British colleague had his bottom hit by three prathom 2 students. He was an older man but these small creatures did it all the time. They tried the same with me and then I reported it to Thai teacher who was sitting in front of the classroom. She took one of those three students out and the boy was back with teary eyes. He sat down and was a good boy. No running around the classroom and trying to hit teacher's bottom anymore. However, next time he did it again. 

16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is it casual violence though?  I ruler slapped lightly on the palm?  Is that really casual violence?  I'm not sure corporal punishment can be classed as casual violence.  For one, it isn't casual, it's punishment.

My Daughter was " slapped lightly " with a Rule in Her School years ago.

She was " slapped " several times and Blood was actually drawn.

The purpose for this punishment was for being too slow to run a circuit course in PE.

That School concerned received the biggest s#^T Storm it has ever seen from me.

I threatened the Police and a Solicitor if the Teacher responsible was not removed from their position by the end of the Day.

As face is everything the Teacher was removed

Violence is was it is - Violence, and cannot be condoned in any form against children.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

you don't condone corporal punishment, but you're ready to seriously hurt someone?

A teachers job is to teach, if he / she can't do that without hitting children he / she isn't fit to do the job. Yes, i can be very violent when my family or friends get hurt.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The bleeding hearts here that say corporal punishment should be banned are the same ones that let their kids yell and run around restaurant or will try to negotiate with a 5 year old that wants a toy or candy.

You absolutely go off your nut if you saw me or my daughter and son in law

Grandkids want to cry and throw a fit first it is mocking them then it is a slap on the ass.

Daughter doing well grandson just graduated and accepted to university in Canada

With 35 students in a classroom you do not have the ye yo play games 

No one is saying YOU can't discipline YOUR child, but NO Teacher or anyone else outside the family has the right to strike any child..............just because the Catholic School Teacher beat our azz with a paddle, pinched our cheeks, pulled our hair, doesn't mean it is right....................my uncle in law made the mistake of smacking my daughter across the face for refusing to get him a beer from our Fridge.  He got a helluva lot more than he gave her - think I broke his arm, maybe a couple of fingers, we didn't see him for two years, and that was to put him in the Psychiatric Ward of the hispital.

23 hours ago, wandasloan said:

As confusing as "teachers" always are.

You are entirely happy to take money from the fascists of the Thai education system, but not to enrol your precious ones, or to even try to change/fix the fascist  system.

Excellent example of sheer hypocrisy. I hope your beloveds grow up and make you try to explain all that, which you cannot.

Are you for real?

Most foreign teachers in Thailand are only TEFL qualified - this means they only have a month or so training - if thy are qualified teachers they will have a year to 3 years training under their belts - the alarming this about this is that as TEFL teachers they are allowed into Thai classrooms where, judging by the comments on this thread, many turnout to be violent psychopaths.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

It has never made any student change their ways.

I disagree.

Still have tech school students killing each other every chance they get.

A little hyperbolic.  Also not proof of the accuracy of your first sentence.

Until the company got sued or the worker comes back and shoots the place up.

Unless they didn't.  I think you're struggling with the idea of a hypothetical scenario presented as an analogy.

Violence only increases the chances of more violence.

Oh every time... except when it doesn't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

My Daughter was " slapped lightly " with a Rule in Her School years ago.

She was " slapped " several times and Blood was actually drawn.

It doesn't sound like she was slapped lightly if blood was drawn.

5 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Violence is was it is - Violence, and cannot be condoned in any form against children.

That's one opinion, sure.  Others may think that something very low level as corporal punishment is acceptable in some circumstances.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

the alarming this about this is that as TEFL teachers they are allowed into Thai classrooms where, judging by the comments on this thread, many turnout to be violent psychopaths.

Western TEFL teachers aren't hitting anyone.  They would be gone instantly.  Foreign teachers are not the same as Thai teachers.

Also, someone saying, as part of a discussion on the subject, "Maybe there is justification for very light corporal punishment in some circumstances" is nowhere near "violent psychopath" level. 

That's simply ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

Most foreign teachers in Thailand are only TEFL qualified - this means they only have a month or so training - if thy are qualified teachers they will have a year to 3 years training under their belts - the alarming this about this is that as TEFL teachers they are allowed into Thai classrooms where, judging by the comments on this thread, many turnout to be violent psychopaths.

And you have dramatically over exaggerated and deliberately taken out of context the comments of a minority of posters and turned it into ‘many’....  

You seem to be debating from the extreme and uncompromising fringes of this discussion and anyone who doesn’t agree with your exact line of thinking is a child murderer.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

No one is saying YOU can't discipline YOUR child, but NO Teacher or anyone else outside the family has the right to strike any child..............just because the Catholic School Teacher beat our azz with a paddle, pinched our cheeks, pulled our hair, doesn't mean it is right....................my uncle in law made the mistake of smacking my daughter across the face for refusing to get him a beer from our Fridge.  He got a helluva lot more than he gave her - think I broke his arm, maybe a couple of fingers, we didn't see him for two years, and that was to put him in the Psychiatric Ward of the hispital.

Big difference between your psycho uncle and a teacher or disciplinarian

The problem is that parents no longer teach kids respect anywhere anymore.

Let's look at it a different way.  You are trying to teach a group of 35 teens some are paying attention and are interested.  Some don't care

6 boys in the back are laughing carrying on and tell you to truck off we don't care.

How do you resolve the problem.

Oh yeah they are louder than you.

I await your solution.

51 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Big difference between your psycho uncle and a teacher or disciplinarian

The problem is that parents no longer teach kids respect anywhere anymore.

Let's look at it a different way.  You are trying to teach a group of 35 teens some are paying attention and are interested.  Some don't care

6 boys in the back are laughing carrying on and tell you to truck off we don't care.

How do you resolve the problem.

Oh yeah they are louder than you.

I await your solution.

Speaking for yourself, what makes you think that parents no longer teach kids respect anymore? Without may I add the need for any form of smacking or corporal punishment.