'thin brakes' Cockpit on Vios?

proton

Took 10 year old Vios into cockpit today for oil change. They seem to have a habit of finding things which need attention- 5 years ago told us it needed new shock absorbers, still not done that. Today it was- brakes, thin only 2.5 left. No idea what this mean or if 2..5 is a dangerous level. Had a 50k service at Toyota 7 months ago they never mentioned brakes at all. When should the brakes be replaced?

I guess they are talking about thickness of pad left.  I would consider replacing my brake pads at 2.5 mm if that was true.  Presumably (dangerous assumption in Thailand!) they were referring to front disc brake pads;  Manual for my car (rover) here in UK suggests that front pads are replaced when less than 1.5 mm thick.

How much are they charging you to replace pads?  Should be a 10 minute job; and expect to be given the old pads to show you they have changed them.

IMHO they are trying it on a bit with a 'rich farang,' but, if you can afford it, why run to the limit.  You often need your brake in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robin said:

I guess they are talking about thickness of pad left.  I would consider replacing my brake pads at 2.5 mm if that was true.  Presumably (dangerous assumption in Thailand!) they were referring to front disc brake pads;  Manual for my car (rover) here in UK suggests that front pads are replaced when less than 1.5 mm thick.

How much are they charging you to replace pads?  Should be a 10 minute job; and expect to be given the old pads to show you they have changed them.

IMHO they are trying it on a bit with a 'rich farang,' but, if you can afford it, why run to the limit.  You often need your brake in Thailand.

My mrs car she deals with it all, I just pay of course, their price is about 1.850 baht, if for one or two not sure. I expect Toyota would be more

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Until 2018 I was a UK DVSA designated MoT tester (UK yearly roadworthiness test).

Minimum pad thickness specified in the tester's manual is 1.5mm - anything less is a fail. 2.5mm or less is an 'advisory'.

You can check pad thickness relatively easily by removing a wheel and measuring the thickness of friction material remaining on the metal backing plate.  O.E. Toyota pads have squeal pins clipped onto the pad. These will squeal at about 2mm.

IF the pad is a 2.5mm then personally I would replace. Check the discs for lipping/pitting at the same time - they may also need replacing. I recommend buying genuine Toyota-supplied pads (usually made by Akebono or Nisshinbo). Labour should be around 30 minutes, including lube on the slide pins. Pads (guess) ฿1.5 - 2k for OE axle set (4 pads).

Informative, thanks

After 10 years it is more than ready for new shox. You will be surprised how much nicer it will drive with them.

If brake pads are worn down to only 2.5mm of pad lining material left, they need doing. It won't be long before they go metal to metal.

Old v new brake pads (and the old one looks to have 4 to 5mm left).

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 11:50 AM, proton said:

Had a 50k service at Toyota 7 months ago they never mentioned brakes at all.

Seven months ago, the brake pads were probably 2.6.

It's your wife's ride so it's probably her hitting the brakes in an emergency (with you in the front seat).

If (God forbid) she has a prang and the notion of insufficient braking effort pops up, if she finds out that YOU decided that new brake pads weren't needed, you won't hear the end of it.

You may want to check if Cockpit fit copy parts. Only use genuine original parts for brakes. Copy parts can cause a variety of problems, such as scoring the discs if they are too abrasive (sintered pads), or lacking in stopping power. Conversely, overheating can occur if the pad is too soft.

In answer to your original question, 2.5 ml is coming towards end of pad life. At zero ml the pad will cut into and ruin the disc (expensive). You will know it from the horrendous squeal it makes.

• Like 1