Cashless restaurant transactions

One change I have noticed since I returned from Bangkok a month ago is that some restaurants (including some fast food) have started to have cashless transactions only. This was not a problem for me as I just figured out how to do with with Bangkok Bank app but I am wondering how real tourists will handle this as they won’t have Thai bank accounts and may not wish to use their credit cards here. Overseas friends are asking me about this. 

• Like 1

If they’re really concerned about credit card fraud, they could use a prepaid credit card. That way, at worst, they can only lose the amount they preloaded on the card. Would cost a bit extra in fees, and they should check the exchange rate used, best to buy a card that can be loaded with Thai baht.

I’d take the risk and just use my usual credit card, regularly checking the card online, just as you should at home, where you can also be the victim of fraudulent card use.

• Like 1

Thailand is catching up with other places that are moving to cashless.  The 'tap and go' payment method is much quicker when most of society is adapted to it.  Very quick and easy in petrol stations, supermarkets and stores, etc - every retail place.  In UAE it's common not to carry or use cash at all.

But they don't have proper tap and go in Thailand - they still request an onscreen signature - even a PIN would be better and more secure.

The fx issue is a real pain if you don't have a THB credit or debit card. But tourists have always had these costs.

When we were marooned in Texas for 13 months for Covid, I decided to go as cashless as possible.  Like anything new, it took some learning....google pay, samsung pay, Venmo, etc.   But once you get the hang of it (like teaching some of the leftover GIs email back in 1996), you don't want to go back.  When we returned to Thailand, it was actually easier as all I use now is my SCB account.......'s-kan pay'.  Everybody understands.  Once you use it a few times, it's effortless....take no more time than paying cash......and gives you a digitized receipt of all your transactions.  I even pay for my daily slurp of noodle soup with s-kan pay.

I haven't heard of any restaurants not taking cash.......could be true, but I'd personally be surprised if it were.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Not if they are using cash!

Self evidently...  My context was obvious.

I used to take crisp £50 notes to Jakarta... In the early 90’s the only way to purchase local currency.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Cashless payment is just annoying.  Fine if all is working, but not the case.

Been behind a few paying via app, and sometimes it takes way too long.  Whether the app or int. is slow, congested.   I won't even bother with a vendor that is online payment only.  Sadly Makro & 7-11 have too many customers using.

Seriously, 7-11 ... whip out a 100 baht note and be on your way.  Worse is, they know they are going to pay via app, but phone in pocket or purse until told amount.   Now find the phone, open the slow A$$ app, and scan/transfer. 

Although they do the same with cash ... get ready and get the hell out way ... ????

F'g ANNOYING

Agreed. In Indonesia where I frequent regularly, in large stores they have checkouts with "cash only'' so can only use cash.

I haven't seen any in Thailand, not saying they don't exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Agreed. In Indonesia where I frequent regularly, in large stores they have checkouts with "cash only'' so can only use cash.

I haven't seen any in Thailand, not saying they don't exist.

Sizzler was the latest restaurant I have seen to go Cashless Only and the waitress pointed to a small notice on this before I was seated.

20 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

As a person who prefers "cash only", I would avoid cashless establishments (personal choice)! There are still many restaurants offering high quality food that accept cash and in many instances "cash only"!! A smartphone with apps would be irrelevant.

Quite so. In fact if you had eaten your meal and asked for the check, it arrives and its cashless only and you only have cash, would they refuse to accept cash? I dont think so!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

If they’re really concerned about credit card fraud, they could use a prepaid credit card. That way, at worst, they can only lose the amount they preloaded on the card. Would cost a bit extra in fees, and they should check the exchange rate used, best to buy a card that can be loaded with Thai baht.

I’d take the risk and just use my usual credit card, regularly checking the card online, just as you should at home, where you can also be the victim of fraudulent card use.

It's not fraud its the expense anyway there are no restaurants demanding  digital payments only.

Edited by The Hammer2021

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I don’t think you need to read too closely between the lines  to see that possible fraudulent use was his friends’ main concern!

It’s not hard, at least in Australia, to find a credit card that has no extra fees or charges for overseas use, and which uses a very fair exchange rate. I have two of them.

Yes. But as this is about Thailand not the least bit relevant is what happens down under.

Try getting a real cc here (as in one without any preloaded deposit against it) and please let us know what happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Yes. But as this is about Thailand not the least bit relevant is what happens down under.

Try getting a real cc here (as in one without any preloaded deposit against it) and please let us know what happens.

As people were talking about foreign tourists using their credit cards from home, including Australia, it is relevant, unlike talking about getting a credit card here.

• Like 1

I'm generally in favor of going cashless, but to accommodate tourists and anyone else, they really need to ensure that they accept a broad variety of cashless payment options - and that their payment processing devices actually work!

I've seen quite a number of failures here in Bangkok and had to switch to another cashless payment option when that happened. While not really a problem for me at the time, I don't think it should be on the customer to provide alternatives in such a case.

37 minutes ago, Dickp said:

My expince with cashless only. Was at the local Samitivej Bangkok Hospital. Went  into a Sartbuck outlet did not the small sign (no cash) we ordered our drinks and food. Them perpaired them I the ask how much ( around 600 Baht)  went to pay in cash they said NO Cash, I did not have any local bank card, they said only cards. Itold them sorry do have and walk out. When right across the walk way to anotrher shop asked if they take cash they did , got our drinks and food, paid and left. I  avoid cashless establishments (my choice)! 

I much prefect credit Cards use it wherever possible....  

It builds up points (each year (pre-covid) we get a return flight to Japan (3 of us) from the Air-miles we build up)...  

Keep paying cash...  its your choice !!!...  

Its also simple and easy to use QR code transfer....   its often quicker when considering waiting for change etc...

Cash: I only find it useful for flag-fall taxi’s... smaller bars or the wet-market...  everything else is cashless, its just easier and I find it quicker. 

Edited by richard_smith237

8 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

It’s not hard, at least in Australia, to find a credit card that has no extra fees or charges for overseas use, and which uses a very fair exchange rate. I have two of them.

Similar in the UK and I also have two of them, and from reading on here I understand the  USA has similar offerings.  Most well prepared tourists will not be paying any foreign exchange fees or bank charges when using a card for payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Similar in the UK and I also have two of them, and from reading on here I understand the  USA has similar offerings.  Most well prepared tourists will not be paying any foreign exchange fees or bank charges when using a card for payment.

I'm from the UK and would be delighted to know which cards do not have (outside of Europe) fees.

Care to tell?

28 minutes ago, sharksy said:

I'm from the UK and would be delighted to know which cards do not have (outside of Europe) fees.

Care to tell?

I'm with HSBC UK and they charge £0.40 for a CC transaction.  This is OK for the odd big ticket item, but suicide if you want to use it for piddly purchases each and every time you buy something.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sharksy said:

Care to tell?

Halifax Clarity is a long time favourite which I have and is readily available.  My other one is a legacy MBNA and probably not available any more.

A couple of the other available ones are Barclaycard Rewards and 118 118 Money.

For debit cards Starling Bank and Chase (app only and £1,500 ATM withdrawal limit per month) are probably the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

I'm with HSBC UK and they charge £0.40 for a CC transaction.  This is OK for the odd big ticket item, but suicide if you want to use it for piddly purchases each and every time you buy something.

sorry, my error, my card is a UK Mastercard and the fee is 2.99% of the transaction

I only used it once on my last visit to BKK so thought the O.40 charge was a flat fee.  Usually I use a credit card from Hong Kong which has no transaction fee.  But at the end of the day it is the applied exchange rate that is the critical factor as banks vary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kokesaat said:

When we were marooned in Texas for 13 months for Covid, I decided to go as cashless as possible.  Like anything new, it took some learning....google pay, samsung pay, Venmo, etc.   But once you get the hang of it (like teaching some of the leftover GIs email back in 1996), you don't want to go back.  When we returned to Thailand, it was actually easier as all I use now is my SCB account.......'s-kan pay'.  Everybody understands.  Once you use it a few times, it's effortless....take no more time than paying cash......and gives you a digitized receipt of all your transactions.  I even pay for my daily slurp of noodle soup with s-kan pay.

I haven't heard of any restaurants not taking cash.......could be true, but I'd personally be surprised if it were.

No places are refusing cash. Most shops offer to receive  digital payments. Non of my Thai friends use cash they use an app in their  phone.

2 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

But at the end of the day it is the applied exchange rate that is the critical factor as banks vary.

Unless you stupidly accept the offer of DCC from the vendor, the exchange rate is set by the transaction processor.  Normally this is Visa or Mastercard and nothing to do with the banks themselves.

15 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Been behind a few paying via app, and sometimes it takes way too long.  Whether the app or int. is slow, congested.   I won't even bother with a vendor that is online payment only.  Sadly Makro & 7-11 have too many customers using.

Seriously, 7-11 ... whip out a 100 baht note and be on your way.  Worse is, they know they are going to pay via app, but phone in pocket or purse until told amount.   Now find the phone, open the slow A$$ app, and scan/transfer. 

Although they do the same with cash ... get ready and get the hell out way ... ????

F'g ANNOYING

THIS as i stand in line with my drink and exact change....cash is KING

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

F'g ANNOYING

The OP is about cashless in restaurants, not 7/11 or Makro.

What does it matter to you how long another customer spends to settle their bill?

Further, your rant makes no sense because the issue is in the event that only cashless is accepted.