Air fryer - advice please

Lacessit

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Good thinking.

IME the best pies I have ever eaten came from Bertoldo's Bakery in Griffith, New South Wales. Their steak and onion or steak and mushroom pies were culinary masterpieces.

Greenhalghs of Wigan make the best pies bar none.....????

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Greenhalghs of Wigan make the best pies bar none.....????

I have not had Greenhalgs, and I assume you have never been in Griffith. Call it a draw, OK?

There's enough dick comparisons on this thread already.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have not had Greenhalgs, and I assume you have never been in Griffith. Call it a draw, OK?

There's enough dick comparisons on this thread already.

No, what we have here are members taking the time to help other members. Taking the time to find the best price for a particular air fryer.

Let us know how the meat roasting goes. I know they like meat and fish 'well done' in Oz.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

No, what we have here are members taking the time to help other members. Taking the time to find the best price for a particular air fryer.

Let us know how the meat roasting goes. I know they like meat and fish 'well done' in Oz.

I must be an exception, I like steak medium and fish either just cooked, or even salmon sushi with wasabi.

What would be helpful is suggestions as to seasonings or marinades, 20:20 hindsight on what you think I should have bought is advice that is as useful as tits on a bull. Maybe useful to others, not to me.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I must be an exception, I like steak medium and fish either just cooked, or even salmon sushi with wasabi.

What would be helpful is suggestions as to seasonings or marinades, 20:20 hindsight on what you think I should have bought is advice that is as useful as tits on a bull. Maybe useful to others, not to me.

Your air fryer sounds about as useful as the bull you just described.

I make my own seasonings. One with coriander, garlic, fresh chilli and salt and extra virgin olive oil. Use that as a base for other things; such as mixing that with Madras curry powder and marinating chicken pieces overnight to make shawarma. Brown the chicken pieces in a frying pan and finish them in the oven. Pide bread, yoghurt sauce and chopped tomato and cucumber at the ready. Houmous too if I have it.

Can make fajitas similarly by adding dry spices to the coriander spice mix.

I sprinkle this on my pork or chicken.  Plenty of other flavors also.  Simple and tasty. 

200 Celsius for pork roast or chicken thighs.

Roast pork 20 minutes fat side down.  Turn then 25 minutes fat side up.

Delicious!

I made sliced pork sandwiches, yum!  Wife likes the fatty/meat part.

Chicken excellent!  Crispy skin.

I use the Air fryer 4 times.  Best investment for the kitchen I ever made!

Philips is a great brand.  I found it cooks better than the cheap Thai models available at Big C or Tesco's.  

Great recipes on YouTube.

Enjoy!

Screenshot_20220812-080606_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220812-081337_Lazada.jpg

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am on a low carb diet, I only want to cook meat. Pies and chips, get thee behind me Satan.

Then why are you cooking pies and chips?

Air fryers are THE best thing for cooking home made french fries.  I also cook bacon, hamburger, chicken strips, ribs, salmon, hot dogs.  Great for pretty much any meat. Really easy once you get the hang of it, which is not hard.  Trial and error just 2 or 3 times and I had it sorted.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Air fryers are THE best thing for cooking home made french fries.  

Disagree, nothing beats deep fry for FF.  Honest YT'ers will point that out.  Cooks half the time, and no need for turning, shaking, rearranging half way through cooking.

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Disagree, nothing beats deep fry for FF.  Honest YT'ers will point that out.  Cooks half the time, and no need for turning, shaking, rearranging half way through cooking.

The air-fryer is the healthier option, that is half the reason folk use them, less oil/fat body absorption...

11 minutes ago, transam said:

The air-fryer is the healthier option, that is half the reason folk use them, less oil/fat body absorption...

Indeed - they should be better for us by this months medical opinions - but they taste like krap to me.  Have given up on FF except when order from outside with burger.  Tried about 4 brands of frozen fries and none had good taste out of air fryer.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed - they should be better for us by this months medical opinions - but they taste like krap to me.  Have given up on FF except when order from outside with burger.  Tried about 4 brands of frozen fries and none had good taste out of air fryer.

But I always have salt, vinegar and sauce on my chips....????

The best frozen chips I have found are Makro Saver Pack, about 150bht for 2kg, can actually taste the nice earthy potato...

Forget Tesco chips, of any brand...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As I have not tried it yet, I don't know whether your pessimistic prediction is accurate. As it is only 800 - odd baht, I'm not going to cry myself to sleep if it's unsuccessful.

Perhaps you don't understand it gets on someone's wick when an internet smartypants tells that person they are doing it all wrong. If I am, I would prefer to find out for myself.

Thank you for finally imparting some useful information.

I understand that it gets on your wick. But it doesn't change the fact. It is only 800 odd baht; so don't cry when someone informs you that it's a bit of nonsense without a temperature control. Though you can wrap things up in silver foil to mitigate. 

You obviously are not an 'Internet Smartypants'. You have another name ????

6 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I understand that it gets on your wick. But it doesn't change the fact. It is only 800 odd baht; so don't cry when someone informs you that it's a bit of nonsense without a temperature control. Though you can wrap things up in silver foil to mitigate. 

Yes, it is probably "sensiblepants"....

The one with adjustments costs about 150/200bht extra, so I reckon it is not worth fluffing about with, as you seem to like...????

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, it is probably "sensiblepants"....

The one with adjustments costs about 150/200bht extra, so I reckon it is not worth fluffing about with, as you seem to like...????

Your post doesn't make any sense to me. 

So you are saying that it's not worth spending 150 to 200 baht more to get one with a temperature control in your opinion or are you just playing the fool, as you are wont to do most of the time?

Fluffing about? Is that like buying cheap cr@p that you've had to replace three times, as opposed to buying one that does the job and doesn't rust?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Your post doesn't make any sense to me. 

So you are saying that it's not worth spending 150 to 200 baht more to get one with a temperature control in your opinion or are you just playing the fool, as you are wont to do most of the time?

Fluffing about? Is that like buying cheap cr@p that you've had to replace three times, as opposed to buying one that does the job and doesn't rust?

You got that the wrong way round, pay the little extra for the adjustments. Yes, I replace my cheap cr@p about every 3 /4 years when the fan is falling apart. Plus, the first one I bought, a different brand, the fan on that rusted away.

But, as we know, you know everything, so If you find a brand with a stainless steel fan, please let me/us know.

Of course your fan maybe caked in fat melts, then caked in fat again to fend off the rusting, whereas mine is fat free.... ????

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

Then why are you cooking pies and chips?

Air fryers are THE best thing for cooking home made french fries.  I also cook bacon, hamburger, chicken strips, ribs, salmon, hot dogs.  Great for pretty much any meat. Really easy once you get the hang of it, which is not hard.  Trial and error just 2 or 3 times and I had it sorted.

I'm not, where did you get that idea? I happened to mention a bakery in Griffith that made great pies, that was years ago.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

LOL, it does have a temperature control. It operates at 200 C. Don't you mean capable of variable temperature?

You can predict the outcome of my cooking as well? My my. It will be a bit of nonsense only when I am unsuccessful at cooking decent food. IME I seem to do OK. A few tooth picks, a meat thermometer, some foil, and a bit of trial and error works for me.

My thanks to those who contributed useful hints. Including you.

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I sprinkle this on my pork or chicken.  Plenty of other flavors also.  Simple and tasty. 

200 Celsius for pork roast or chicken thighs.

Roast pork 20 minutes fat side down.  Turn then 25 minutes fat side up.

Delicious!

I made sliced pork sandwiches, yum!  Wife likes the fatty/meat part.

Chicken excellent!  Crispy skin.

I use the Air fryer 4 times.  Best investment for the kitchen I ever made!

Philips is a great brand.  I found it cooks better than the cheap Thai models available at Big C or Tesco's.  

Great recipes on YouTube.

Enjoy!

Screenshot_20220812-080606_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220812-081337_Lazada.jpg

3000 baht for an air fryer? Do you drive a Ferrari?

Too rich for my blood, I'll probably only be using the fryer once or twice a week, for variety. I'd consider that price level if it was an appliance I used every day.

No argument Philips is a good brand, IME always has been.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

3000 baht for an air fryer? Do you drive a Ferrari?

Too rich for my blood, I'll probably only be using the fryer once or twice a week, for variety. I'd consider that price level if it was an appliance I used every day.

No argument Philips is a good brand, IME always has been.

I felt that until I tried my friends cooking with the air fryer.

It's truly incredible and worth it.  Much cheaper than a large oven.

I've also bought the Otto brand for about 1000 baht.  It tasted plastic like and uneven cooking.

I ended up giving it to the girl who washes my Bentley. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, Bruno123 said:

A strange product to purchase. You would have been better off with a oven with the same heating element, but an adjustable temperature. Just 700 to 800 baht.

https://www.otto.co.th/product/23435-19128/หม้ออบลมร้อน

We bought one, and use it mainly for french fries. Zero oil, only a slight shift in taste easy to  adjust to. Extends one's life by half a year, at least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, transam said:

Tastes better too imo.  You just can't overload the basket otherwise it ends up steaming them instead of frying.  I recommend getting a bigger one even if you think you will just be making small meals.  The bigger the basket the better it works because you need lots of empty space around the food for the air to circulate.   Mine is 3.2L which is considered medium size.  I would say that is the perfect size for one person.  

Edited by shdmn

11 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I make them from scratch.  Slice up the potato into fries and soak in cold water for about 10-15 minutes to get rid of excess starch.  Drain and dry on some paper towel.  Toss in some olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and throw in the basket.  Not too much otherwise they end up steaming.  Just enough so they are not layered on top of each other. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:42 AM, dddave said:

What I liked about them was both had a removable "basket" insert rather than just a removable plate. I've had both styles and find the removable basket style to be much more useful.

Personal preferences obviously, but I've got the basket type in the UK and the plate type in Thailand and much prefer the plate one.

Have for over 10 years the  Halogen glass bowl Oven size 18 lts - could never see the need for a Air Fryer --- about 18 months ago big Sale = bought size 5 lt Digital Air Fryer, and yes use it every day so use the  Halogen cooker rarely,,  

Both are the same make 'Smart Home'  -- yesterday bought in  1/2 Price sale  a 2 ring Gas Hob also Smart Home, as the old MEX one is old and rusting so needs changing before it blows up

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, ignis said:

Have for over 10 years the  Halogen glass bowl Oven size 18 lts - could never see the need for a Air Fryer --- about 18 months ago big Sale = bought size 5 lt Digital Air Fryer, and yes use it every day so use the  Halogen cooker rarely,,  

Both are the same make 'Smart Home'  -- yesterday bought in  1/2 Price sale  a 2 ring Gas Hob also Smart Home, as the old MEX one is old and rusting so needs changing before it blows up

Gas is usually prohibited in condos, which is why I bought an air fryer I could use on my balcony.

The attached photos are a pork steak I bought for 40 baht, fairly tough and only rescued by the marinade. Also a beef eye fillet from Cape Grim, Tasmania. Tender, and I was not going to modify the flavor with a marinade. The temperature probe told me both were cooked as I wanted.

Maybe I can do better with fancier equipment, to me it's unnecessary. I'm getting what I want.

cape grim2.jpg

temperature.jpg

capegrim1.jpg

pork.jpg