Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Air fryer - advice please

Lacessit

I recently bought an air fryer on Lazada. Not big, I only want it to cook 300 - 400 gm of meat - pork tenderloin, beef, and chicken breast.

The fryer runs at a constant 200 C, with the timer. I may try a small roast later.

Any ideas on seasonings that are compatible with air frying welcome.

The non-stick tub and support grill get very hot when cooking. When adding water to soak residues before cleaning, can I add while hot, or is it best to wait until cooled down?

Yes, I have read the manual.

gabor2.jpg

gabor1.jpg

4 hours ago, dddave said:

When doing a small roast in my air fryer, I found I needed to put a small piece of foil (held down by toothpicks) on the top of the roast so it wouldn't get burned and dried out too quickly. I remove it 5 minutes before the roast is finished for a little browning.
The most essential tool is an instant read food thermometer.  It's impossible to tell the inside degree of done-ness from the outside appearance of the food, especially if cooked from frozen.

Some spices, Paprika for instance can burn if on top of food close to the heat source.  Some spice blends contain sugar and that will burn quickly. Ground black pepper can also burn.. I actually like the taste but that's just me.

The air fryer does not cook by hot air only, the halogen bulb heat source also puts out infrared rays that can cook things surprisingly quickly, not just top but on the bottom and inside.  It's very easy to overcook things like chicken breast and fish.  I frequently cook such things in 5 to 8 minute increments, checking inside done-ness with the thermometer. 

I think every air fryer is different so experimentation is necessary.  I cook pork chops high, close to the heat source and they come out pretty good.  I tried steak a few times but it's difficult to get nice brown on top while not overcooking.

When I want a quick meal with little effort, frozen chicken legs go from freezer to table in about 40 minutes.

I stopped in a 20 baht store and bought several small, round, metal pans, about 8" diameter that fit inside my air fryer.  These make it easy to set different heights for cooking, sometimes using a small bowl set inside for them to sit on.  They make clean-up much easier and also makes it easier to use juices and brown bits for gravy and sauces.

I'll be buying fresh meat from Tops or Big C, never have liked cooking frozen stuff.

Thanks for the tips re covering a roast, and the pans to save cleaning. I'll get a meat thermometer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dddave said:

The air fryer does not cook by hot air only, the halogen bulb heat source also puts out infrared rays that can cook things surprisingly quickly, not just top but on the bottom and inside.

I've seen the halogen bulb type ovens, usually with a glass base but most air fryers now have a heating element similar to an old electric stove top IME.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, treetops said:

I've seen the halogen bulb type ovens, usually with a glass base but most air fryers now have a heating element similar to an old electric stove top IME.

My error.  I thought air fryers were the same technology as the halogen ovens.  I actually have both.  Halogen ovens are better for larger items like pizza, whole chicken, bread and larger roasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

My error.  I thought air fryers were the same technology as the halogen ovens.  I actually have both.  Halogen ovens are better for larger items like pizza, whole chicken, bread and larger roasts.

My fryer has an heater element, no halogen.

Not that it matters, I won't be cooking anything large.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kildonan said:

I have a silicone insert i put in my Airfryer, easier for cleaning, and catches all the grease/fat. Works great. 

How does that work on the top rim, which is the hardest to clean

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My fryer has an heater element, no halogen.

Not that it matters, I won't be cooking anything large.

A strange product to purchase. You would have been better off with a oven with the same heating element, but an adjustable temperature. Just 700 to 800 baht.

https://www.otto.co.th/product/23435-19128/หม้ออบลมร้อน

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

A strange product to purchase. You would have been better off with a oven with the same heating element, but an adjustable temperature. Just 700 to 800 baht.

https://www.otto.co.th/product/23435-19128/หม้ออบลมร้อน

Cooking is the same as chemistry - time, temperature and reagents ( food ). Having a constant temperature means there is one less variable to deal with.

I was not expecting a food critic on this thread, but have at it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Cooking is the same as chemistry - time, temperature and reagents ( food ). Having a constant temperature means there is one less variable to deal with.

I was not expecting a food critic on this thread, but have at it.

Food critic? I am writing about the specific device, but if you think you know better, I'll leave you to it.

Hopefully you'll get the advice that you need. But the oven is far more versatile and probably less expensive.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Food critic? I am writing about the specific device, but if you think you know better, I'll leave you to it.

Hopefully you'll get the advice that you need. But the oven is far more versatile and probably less expensive.

I bought the Gaabor for 799 baht plus 45 baht delivery. I bought it because my internet research indicated it was a brand with a good reputation, from a supplier who also had good Lazada credentials.

If you think you have something bigger and better, bully for you. I don't intend to be cooking whole legs of lamb.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I bought the Gaabor for 799 baht plus 45 baht delivery. I bought it because my internet research indicated it was a brand with a good reputation, from a supplier who also had good Lazada credentials.

If you think you have something bigger and better, bully for you. I don't intend to be cooking whole legs of lamb.

You are missing the point. The convection oven to which I linked is the original 'air fryer'.

These new 'air fryers' are just a gimmick, are more limiting and have a much smaller capacity.

I've had mine for perhaps ten years. They are amazing. Baking roasting etc

I don't want to try to revive my shop bought croissant at 200 degrees Celsius. 100 to 120 would be more appropriate.

The point being that the original 'air fryer' at a cost of less than 800 baht would be much more versatile. 

I understand that you already have the 'air fryer' and hope you can get good use out of it. Just for information, the original design is far more versatile.

Note the one to which I linked, uses the heated element, as opposed to a halogen bulb.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Having a variable temperature is essential for me.  Bowman's pies need lower for longer to heat through.  They'd be scorched  on the outside and cold in the middle at the temperature I need to get my chips crispy, but each to their own.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Having a variable temperature is essential for me.  Bowman's pies need lower for longer to heat through.  They'd be scorched  on the outside and cold in the middle at the temperature I need to get my chips crispy, but each to their own.

I am on a low carb diet, I only want to cook meat. Pies and chips, get thee behind me Satan.

9 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You are missing the point. The convection oven to which I linked is the original 'air fryer'.

These new 'air fryers' are just a gimmick, are more limiting and have a much smaller capacity.

I've had mine for perhaps ten years. They are amazing. Baking roasting etc

I don't want to try to revive my shop bought croissant at 200 degrees Celsius. 100 to 120 would be more appropriate.

The point being that the original 'air fryer' at a cost of less than 800 baht would be much more versatile. 

I understand that you already have the 'air fryer' and hope you can get good use out of it. Just for information, the original design is far more versatile.

Note the one to which I linked, uses the heated element, as opposed to a halogen bulb.

Horses for courses, croissants are off my menu list too.

Perhaps you are also missing my point about having one less variable, it's called the KISS principle.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Horses for courses, croissants are off my menu list too.

Perhaps you are also missing my point about having one less variable, it's called the KISS principle.

I haven't missed the point, I am writing from experience. The full product, at the same price, is much more versatile. It's not a criticism; it's information. Do with it what you will.

For the third time, good luck with your air fryer and I hope it works out for you. 

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I have both, they both have their different uses, they are not the same in operation.......????

Does yours have no temperature control and a fixed temperature of 200 degrees?

If so, your experience will be useful to the OP.

Wash it gently by soaking and rinsing

Wash it infrequently as possible

I use mine to roast, fry and bake.

I don't cook on the basis plate always

I cook in aluminum  foil containers

These devices  are easy, simple  to use.  Extremely  intuitive and there's  loads of info on the tinternet.  They have been around  for over  10 years.

9 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Hopefully you can still help the OP with suggestions.

Not me, I just do my chips in it, Mrs. T cooks all sorts of things in it, that is, the air-fryer with a draw, very handy that, for not getting your hands burned.

The other cooker is OK for big stuff, or if I do something that requires melted cheese on top....The problem with this type is the fan rusts away in no time, noticed by little black specs on top of your food. The thing has to be chucked away. 

1432781887_Airfryer2.thumb.jpg.a28ee0b6304e3a3baefe2fc8c9d47042.jpgOven.jpg.2fb91624b1dbee82f5a6b926f7eb21e8.jpg

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Not me, I just do my chips in it, Mrs. T cooks all sorts of things in it, that is, the air-fryer with a draw, very handy that, for not getting your hands burned.

The other cooker is OK for big stuff, or if I do something that requires melted cheese on top....The problem with this type is the fan rusts away in no time, noticed by little black specs on top of your food. The thing has to be chucked away. 

1432781887_Airfryer2.thumb.jpg.a28ee0b6304e3a3baefe2fc8c9d47042.jpgOven.jpg.2fb91624b1dbee82f5a6b926f7eb21e8.jpg

You must have bought a dodgy model. Mine is so old, that the colour has changed from red to pink. Fan and element all still fine. Haven't ever seen rust on the fans.

I understand the convenience of a drawer for when it comes to chips. But I cannot abide frozen chips anyway. I prefer to microwave whole potatoes, cut them into chunks and to toss them in extra virgin olive oil and the seasoning of my choice and then put them in a baking tin in the oven. Crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Proper ???? 

Maybe the same can be done in the smaller air fryer.

Edited by Bruno123