A tiny bit of Monkeypox vaccine is coming to Thailand plus my largely subjective opinions on the disease du jour

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Yeah, that's good, no problem with that but this is not a STD because you don't need to have sex to get it, only skin contact. Obviously, the potential to go beyond MSM is there which is also noted in the article. 

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, that's good, no problem with that but this is not a STD because you don't need to have sex to get it, only skin contact. Obviously, the potential to go beyond MSM is there which is also noted in the article. 

I don't claim to know a thing here. The majority of cases are men. If just skin contact spreads MP why aren't more women and children infected? Nobody knows.

14 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't claim to know a thing here. The majority of cases are men. If just skin contact spreads MP why aren't more women and children infected? Nobody knows.

Presumably someone knows, but the answer is maybe so "politically incorrect" they might never be allowed to tell us!

If, as it appears ,  we are no longer "allowed" to tell things as they are , I fear the end of the world is getting closer and closer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Its all becoming very confusing as far as i 'm concerned,   So men who have sex with men are not "gay" anymore because they don't "identify" as such ?  Does that mean for example that even though I smoke cigarettes I should not be considered a smoker as long as I don't "Identify" as a "smoker" ?  or despite me enjoying a beer I can still be considered a teetotaller if I choose to Identify as such?  What an absolute load of nonsense, it seems that the days of  calling a spade a spade are long over, how can anybody be expected to take any of this seriously?  How on earth has this been allowed to happen?   Just out of interest what does the word "homosexual" mean these days?  does anybody even dare to answer?

Oh please. Think just a little bit.

Males who have sex in prisons or similar institutions, do you not understand that most of them are not gay men?!? Being a gay male is an identity. Sex acts are sex acts. 
Kindly DESIST from making this another topic where people who don't have a clue about human sexuality obsess and whine about it.

That is NOT the topic here.

MONKEY POX is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Presumably someone knows, but the answer is maybe so "politically incorrect" they might never be allowed to tell us!

If, as it appears ,  we are no longer "allowed" to tell things as they are , I fear the end of the world is getting closer and closer.

MSM is a MEDICAL TERM. It's been used for many decades in a MEDICAL context.

28 minutes ago, simon43 said:

JT, take care with the length of your thread titles! I initially thought that it was yet another thread from the resident "I-love-speaking-with-myself" poster!! ????

Oh not, not that.

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Because too many gay men are sluts. There I said it. 

Scientists do know it's spread by skin contact and sex acts are not necessary to have skin contact.

Obviously the more skin contact you have with the more partners, the risk goes up.

Yes sex acts tend to have a lot of skin contact, but so can non sexual massage.

If this takes hold in Thailand, it's almost definite that straight sex workers and their customers will be among the next groups impacted. Again, no sex acts of any kind are needed. 

Showing up FIRST among MSM / Gay Men in no way means it can't easily migrate to other groups. 

I think people will know their own risks on this and thus is vaccines are available for this, make a decision about that.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Oh please, the drama.

Yes scientists do know. 

This has STARTED among MSM / Gay Men in these EARLY stages. Because it's about skin contact, it is known you do not need to be MSM / Gay Male to get it. Countries can do mitigation measures NOW to limit any such potential spread. 

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Because too many gay men are sluts. There I said it. 

Scientists do know it's spread by skin contact and sex acts are not necessary to have skin contact.

Obviously the more skin contact you have with the more partners, the risk goes up.

Yes sex acts tend to have a lot of skin contact, but so can non sexual massage.

If this takes hold in Thailand, it's almost definite that straight sex workers and their customers will be among the next groups impacted. Again, no sex acts of any kind are needed. 

Showing up FIRST among MSM / Gay Men in no way means it can't easily migrate to other groups. 

I think people will know their own risks on this and thus is vaccines are available for this, make a decision about that.

Because too many gay men are sluts.

Well you have finally shown your true colours. Statement like that is unnecessary on this forum....after 114k posts your credibility is shot mate...

what a plp...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Because too many gay men are sluts.

Well you have finally shown your true colours. Statement like that is unnecessary on this forum....after 114k posts your credibility is shot mate...

what a plp...

If you say so. 

I could have said it politely and said that it is not uncommon among gay men to have very high numbers of multiple sex partners. It's not at all uncommon for gay men to have had hundreds or thousands of partners in their lives. Of course that doesn't mean ALL gay men.  So it is logical that a new disease like this that is spread by skin contact would probably hit gay men / MSM first. 

I apologize if anyone is sincerely offended by the slut comment. It's slang for sleeping around alot, is it not? As a gay man myself perhaps I was too flippant to say that so casually. 

Piling it on (why not?) IF Monkey Pox does not migrate out from gay males / MSM, perhaps I can propose a new name: GRINDR POX.

But I really really think that it will migrate because it's not logical that a skin contact transmitted disease wouldn't.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

If we look at this from another perspective, it may give us a clue about the spread.

In general, men tend to like sex more than women, and we tend to be more open to multiple partners.

In practice, women limit the availability of sexual activity for heterosexual males via rationing or via charging.

So the MSM scenario involves more sex with more partners than the MSW or WSW situations.  Hence more opportunities for direct skin contact with multiple partners - ideal for the spread of a contagious virus.

The masseuse situation should also be an effective way to spread the virus, but perhaps Baby Oil acts as a barrier, or maybe it needs broken skin to enable the virus to enter the body.

But the lessons from HIV have shown that the initial mode of spread was really just the first to be identified, and it later becomes clear that other sectors of society are equally at risk.  Orgies must present an equivalent risk, as would prostitution if it existed in Thailand.

Whatever way this new pandemic develops, it does highlight the benefits of monogamy, especially if your partner can also give you a foot massage.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

skin contact spreads

I understand you can get it from the linen/sheets of a carrier.

Many cheaper hotels don't always bother cleaning the sheets in-between customers.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

If we look at this from another perspective, it may give us a clue about the spread.

In general, men tend to like sex more than women, and we tend to be more open to multiple partners.

In practice, women limit the availability of sexual activity for heterosexual males via rationing or via charging.

Whatever way this new pandemic develops, it does highlight the benefits of monogamy, especially if your partner can also give you a foot massage.

"New Pandemic"   that sounds a bit over the top when talking about what amounts to a "Rash"   stop panicking people 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"New Pandemic"   that sounds a bit over the top when talking about what amounts to a "Rash"   stop panicking people 

It's  not just a rash. Do some research.

Edited by Jingthing

23 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I understand you can get it from the linen/sheets of a carrier.

Many cheaper hotels don't always bother cleaning the sheets in-between customers.

Yes I think there is a risk with fabrics that are from infected people.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its all becoming very confusing as far as i 'm concerned,   So men who have sex with men are not "gay" anymore because they don't "identify" as such ?  Does that mean for example that even though I smoke cigarettes I should not be considered a smoker as long as I don't "Identify" as a "smoker" ?  or despite me enjoying a beer I can still be considered a teetotaller if I choose to Identify as such?  What an absolute load of nonsense, it seems that the days of  calling a spade a spade are long over, how can anybody be expected to take any of this seriously?  How on earth has this been allowed to happen?   Just out of interest what does the word "homosexual" mean these days?  does anybody even dare to answer?

Pansexual or amorosexual is now the term many use, who used to be called bisexual.

For me, it is just disengenuous, and wordplay. 

• Like 2