A tiny bit of Monkeypox vaccine is coming to Thailand plus my largely subjective opinions on the disease du jour

Jingthing

9 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its all becoming very confusing as far as i 'm concerned,   So men who have sex with men are not "gay" anymore because they don't "identify" as such ?  Does that mean for example that even though I smoke cigarettes I should not be considered a smoker as long as I don't "Identify" as a "smoker" ?  or despite me enjoying a beer I can still be considered a teetotaller if I choose to Identify as such?  What an absolute load of nonsense, it seems that the days of  calling a spade a spade are long over, how can anybody be expected to take any of this seriously?  How on earth has this been allowed to happen?   Just out of interest what does the word "homosexual" mean these days?  does anybody even dare to answer?

Very well said... all goes hand in hand w/the '60 is the new 40' bull that has been thrown around...  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's  not just a rash. Do some research.

Ok so its a rash with some anal "complications" which are probably side effects of the commonest form of transmission. Hardly cause for too much concern by most people.   Education regarding the real purpose of that orifice might therefore  have some effect on the progression of the disease. But fear of stigmatizing or even slightly upsetting the "community" most at risk will no doubt compromise any efforts to slow the transmission of the disease and consequently put the rest of society   at greater risk of catching it

31 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Ok so its a rash with some anal "complications" which are probably side effects of the commonest form of transmission. Hardly cause for too much concern by most people.   Education regarding the real purpose of that orifice might therefore  have some effect on the progression of the disease. But fear of stigmatizing or even slightly upsetting the "community" most at risk will no doubt compromise any efforts to slow the transmission of the disease and consequently put the rest of society   at greater risk of catching it

Here we go.

Predictable homophobia.

See the word anus and jump to conclusions.

You have no idea what percentage of people with monkey pox and anal symptoms have had 

unprotected anal sex.

Ignored the eye symptoms because that doesn't add fuel to the Mel Gibson style agenda.

Again this is not HIV or gonorrhea. 

HIV is not spread by SKIN CONTACT.

Monkey pox is.

Of course it goes without saying that people engaging in anal sex with men or women should use condoms to avoid STDs.

Edited by Jingthing

Look people please understand nobody is trying to hide the fact that  Monkey Pox outside of Africa has shown up first mostly among gay men / MSM. Anyone suggesting that this is being covered up to be politically correct is spreading vile misinformation.

Gay men are correctly being advised to reduce their number of partners. Unlike STDs condoms won't help because this is spread by SKIN CONTACT.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Its all becoming very confusing as far as i 'm concerned,   So men who have sex with men are not "gay" anymore because they don't "identify" as such ?  Does that mean for example that even though I smoke cigarettes I should not be considered a smoker as long as I don't "Identify" as a "smoker" ?  or despite me enjoying a beer I can still be considered a teetotaller if I choose to Identify as such?  What an absolute load of nonsense, it seems that the days of  calling a spade a spade are long over, how can anybody be expected to take any of this seriously?  How on earth has this been allowed to happen?   Just out of interest what does the word "homosexual" mean these days?  does anybody even dare to answer?

Wow.  So you have never heard of bi sexual ?  Have you been living under a rock?   If you don't know what the word 'homosexual' means you can use a dictionary or look it up on google.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Here we go.

Predictable homophobia.

See the word anus and jump to conclusions.

You have no idea what percentage of people with monkey pox and anal symptoms have had 

unprotected anal sex.

Ignored the eye symptoms because that doesn't add fuel to the Mel Gibson style agenda.

Again this is not HIV or gonorrhea. 

HIV is not spread by SKIN CONTACT.

Monkey pox is.

Of course it goes without saying that people engaging in anal sex with men or women should use condoms to avoid STDs.

Not as predictable as somebody screaming "homophobia" where non exists I merely suggested that education regarding methods of transmission might be appropriate. I think you maybe a bit oversensitive

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Not as predictable as somebody screaming "homophobia" where non exists I merely suggested that education regarding methods of transmission might be appropriate. I think you maybe a bit oversensitive

No.

Your post was blatantly homophobic with its anal obsession about a diseaae spread by SKIN CONTACT.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Wow.  So you have never heard of bi sexual ?  Have you been living under a rock?   If you don't know what the word 'homosexual' means you can use a dictionary or look it up on google.

i don't recall the the words bisexual or homosexual being used in the OP  However I am fully aware of the dictionary definition. but I fail to see the need to use countless other pronouns / adjectives   MSM   refers to men who have sex with men ,  that to me fulfills the definition of homsexual activity regardless of how these people wish to "identify" themselves   In the same way that a phrase like "adults who have sex with children" fulfills the dictionary definition of Paedophile .  And before the predicted outrage starts I am not implying that homosexuals or MSM  are paedophiles.   But this obsession with pronouns and how people "identify" themselves is not helping matters in anyway

• Confused 1

Looking at how this disease is spread in Africa where it is long established strongly suggests the spread outside of Africa where it is new will spread outside the gay men / MSM group.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/07/1123212

Thailand still has time to stop this but I doubt that they will.

For the US and other countries its already too late.

Of course this isn't gonna to be another world changing pandemic like Covid or HIV.

But it's still potentially serious. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

No it was not

As a gay man I'm telling you that it was.

Your comment mirrored Mel Gibson. I suppose next you'll be saying that his comments on anal sex weren't homophobic. Maybe someone will buy that. Not me.

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In a previous post you said that people indulging in certain sexual practices should wear condoms  "it goes without saying" were your words and obviously is good advice, however you then repeatedly state that monkey pox is contracted only by skin on skin contact implying that condoms are not very effective in preventing transmission,  all in all a little confusing  However when I suggest education which would presumably include similar advice and maybe clarify things a little for all concerned  you start screaming homophobia.   So are you saying that "as a gay man" only you and other gay men are allowed to make practical suggestions and anybody else who does so is homophobic?     By the way you have no knowledge of my sexual orientation despite what you think

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your comment mirrored Mel Gibson. I suppose next you'll be saying that his comments on anal sex weren't homophobic. Maybe someone will buy that. Not me.

I have no Idea what Mel Gibson's  comments were, neither do I care. But it appears I will have to wait until the disease is properly established in the hetrosexual  community before you allow me to comment without you taking offence

Edited by Bday Prang

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

In a previous post you said that people indulging in certain sexual practices should wear condoms  "it goes without saying" were your words and obviously is good advice, however you then repeatedly state that monkey pox is contracted only by skin on skin contact implying that condoms are not very effective in preventing transmission,  all in all a little confusing  However when I suggest education which would presumably include similar advice and maybe clarify things a little for all concerned  you start screaming homophobia.   So are you saying that "as a gay man" only you and other gay men are allowed to make practical suggestions and anybody else who does so is homophobic?     By the way you have no knowledge of my sexual orientation despite what you think

Enough  with the deflections.

You demonized anal sex in the exact same way that the notorious Mel Gibson did.

People can have safe anal sex but doing so won't reduce Monkey Pox risk if they're having many partners. 

Monogamous couples can even enjoy anal sexual pleasure without condoms but they have to really trust each other.

No need to reply  I know what you posted and you can't take it back.

We'll have to agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I have no Idea what Mel Gibson's  comments were, neither do I care. But it appears I will have to wait until the disease is properly established in the hetrosexual  community before you allow me to comment without you taking offence

You can post what you want but if it's homophobic garbage you have no control over how people react to it.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/9409206-a-reminder-of-what-mel-gibson-said-about-gay-men-in-1991

Edited by Jingthing

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can post what you want but if it's homophobic garbage you have no control over how people react to it.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/9409206-a-reminder-of-what-mel-gibson-said-about-gay-men-in-1991

I still could not care less about anything Mel Gibson says  

I would suggest that the obvious way to avoid infection and limit transmission of this disease is to limit contact with high risk people and those who have been in contact with them.  But as it has been established exactly who is "high risk" no doubt you will be screaming homophobe at me yet again.   I assure you I am not

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I still could not care less about anything Mel Gibson says  

I would suggest that the obvious way to avoid infection and limit transmission of this disease is to limit contact with high risk people and those who have been in contact with them.  But as it has been established exactly who is "high risk" no doubt you will be screaming homophobe at me yet again.   I assure you I am not

Stop lying about what I would say. You do you. You can never speak for me.

Also I never called you a homophobe. Another lie from you.

Your post about anal sex was homophobic in the Mel Gibson style. I have no opinion about you personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

i don't recall the the words bisexual or homosexual being used in the OP  However I am fully aware of the dictionary definition. but I fail to see the need to use countless other pronouns / adjectives   MSM   refers to men who have sex with men ,  that to me fulfills the definition of homsexual activity regardless of how these people wish to "identify" themselves   In the same way that a phrase like "adults who have sex with children" fulfills the dictionary definition of Paedophile .  And before the predicted outrage starts I am not implying that homosexuals or MSM  are paedophiles.   But this obsession with pronouns and how people "identify" themselves is not helping matters in anyway

..  why would you start linking  paedophiles with the gays.?  

This thread is about monkey pox.

• Haha 1

first of all it's medics dealing with infected, as well as all medics being in physical interaction with patients.

Massage therapist can wear latex gloves, refuse to give oil massage and only offer thai massage (fully dressed). Even foot massage can be offered through a thin sock. And on average they have only some 5 clients per day, so very limited contact.

At some stage females will be infected through trying clothes at shops when trying to fit them. There is no way for disinfection.

I have never seen any guest house not washing linen. And after they are dried on sunshine 

17 minutes ago, internationalism said:

first of all it's medics dealing with infected, as well as all medics being in physical interaction with patients.

Massage therapist can wear latex gloves, refuse to give oil massage and only offer thai massage (fully dressed). Even foot massage can be offered through a thin sock. And on average they have only some 5 clients per day, so very limited contact.

At some stage females will be infected through trying clothes at shops when trying to fit them. There is no way for disinfection.

I have never seen any guest house not washing linen. And after they are dried on sunshine 

Hmm.

I don't think there is much call for massage with gloves.

Five contacts a day is actually a lot considering the therapist if infected would do a spreadarama. Of course once people show gross lesions if they do, people will steer clear. 

Latex gloves are used by therapists when doing oil massages, most clients dont spot a difference. 
First of all they will be protecting themselves, they are  most aware. And they can always refuse, if uncertain their client. I was refused massage for having a covid vax an h earlier. Thai are paranoid. 
if authorities find massage as a factor they will close them. 
most at risk are health workers, thats where patients go

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

Latex gloves are used by therapists when doing oil massages, most clients dont spot a difference. 
First of all they will be protecting themselves, they are  most aware. And they can always refuse, if uncertain their client. I was refused massage for having a covid vax an h earlier. Thai are paranoid. 
if authorities find massage as a factor they will close them. 
most at risk are health workers, thats where patients go

I've seen no government messages here yet about potential risk groups other than westerners and gay men. Thai sex workers and massage workers are obvious potentially at risk groups. Very slow on vaccines for risk groups. Reasons why I think they are lacking the needed urgency to stop this early enough. Get past a certain point and it becomes too late. 

Edited by Jingthing

Many news accounts say that the smallpox vaccine can prevent MP.  Does that include smallpox vaccine that was received many decades ago? 

Hubby and I both had second smallpox vaccines in the mid-1980s when it wasn't commonly given anymore in the U.S. because we were going to Africa and we insisted.  I remembered that one of my college professors from a decade prior, originally from India, had bad smallpox scars.  He was fairly young.  Yes, I know they said it had been eradicated, but we insisted.  As I recall, we had to wait just a few days for the smallpox vaccine to arrive.  I don't think it would be so easy now.

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

Many news accounts say that the smallpox vaccine can prevent MP.  Does that include smallpox vaccine that was received many decades ago? 

Hubby and I both had second smallpox vaccines in the mid-1980s when it wasn't commonly given anymore in the U.S. because we were going to Africa and we insisted.  I remembered that one of my college professors from a decade prior, originally from India, had bad smallpox scars.  He was fairly young.  Yes, I know they said it had been eradicated, but we insisted.  As I recall, we had to wait just a few days for the smallpox vaccine to arrive.  I don't think it would be so easy now.

It is thought that people who received smallpox vaccine long ago have at  least some protection.  In any event most infections are in younger people with multiple sexual partners that they do not know well. Especially those who attend dimly lit crowded venues for purposes of hook ups.

• Thanks 1