Mountain B nightclub owner gives detailed interview about fatal club fire, his remorse, experience, and more

webfact

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Going to go broke over this one missus... hubby might even get jail time...

hope your unlicensed bar was worth it.

You know for fact it did not have a liquor licence ?

many restaurants have them.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

It has been reported that the establishment did not have the appropriate licence to operate.. yes.

as a night club.

It was a licenced restaurant though.

Grey area though... when does a licenced restaurant with a live band become a nightclub though ?

5 hours ago, smedly said:

I sort of feel sorry for them, they opened a business and thought it was ok - they are not fire expersts - they are not experts at anything, that is why it is important to have government experts make sure that their building conforms to regulations and standards - so who do I blame - the expert authorities that were supposed to do their job and didn't - the blame for this is with them and only them 

A very sensible post, but I still think the owners should have been more responsible and thought about the customers as well as the profits.

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The place was registered as a restaurant, had on onsite kitchen that cooked and sold food.

Nothing illegal there.

The part where it puts on a live band and becomes a night club on the other hand not so legal, in saying that what additional licence does a restaurant need for live entertainment ?

If I understand you, A pub which also sells some snacks is a restaurant with live entertainment??? Keep things seperately....in a restaurant you eat and in a pub you have a drink and dance. To different things with different licenses... no problems, but in Thailand they mix everything and no one knows anything anymore what is needed for what... Look at the mess with Covid rules...karaoke bars must close only food restaurants were allowed to open, so they started to sell some food and opened the live entertainment restaurant with karaoke. Do some extra and you will avoid the law...

Just now, ikke1959 said:

If I understand you, A pub which also sells some snacks is a restaurant with live entertainment??? Keep things seperately....in a restaurant you eat and in a pub you have a drink and dance. To different things with different licenses... no problems, but in Thailand they mix everything and no one knows anything anymore what is needed for what... Look at the mess with Covid rules...karaoke bars must close only food restaurants were allowed to open, so they started to sell some food and opened the live entertainment restaurant with karaoke. Do some extra and you will avoid the law...

At Mountain B they had a menu and you could order a meal that was cooked in the onsite kitchen to be served at your table.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

When asked about their source of funding, Anongnart replied, “We accumulated money from selling goods, pork meat, and noodles. We also run a restaurant in front of our pub and manage everything on our own without any consultant or silent investors. We are the sole owners.”

Interesting that this had to be so clearly clarified. ????

5 hours ago, smedly said:

they are not fire expersts - they are not experts at anything

That's a big problem in Thailand, they think they know everything and cannot be told otherwise.

As to government experts or inspectors... chocolate teapot, motorcycle ashtray etc.

45 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Going to go broke over this one missus... hubby might even get jail time...

hope your unlicensed bar was worth it.

Again, they think they can do what they want without consequence.

In this case they have been rumbled but it took 16 deaths to make it so.

Thousands of other illegal venues will continue to operate around the country with impunity. 

Money Number One. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“I apologize to every victim’s family. I will try to visit all of them to deal with the funeral arrangements and compensation,”

You offer them 40,000 baht mate and you'll get a punch in the face will be my guess !

I'd start the compensation claim 40,000,000 baht each and work up !

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I sort of feel sorry for them, they opened a business and thought it was ok - they are not fire expersts - they are not experts at anything, that is why it is important to have government experts make sure that their building conforms to regulations and standards - so who do I blame - the expert authorities that were supposed to do their job and didn't - the blame for this is with them and only them 

So basically the people they paid off to run the place...

5 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

The fact that he volunteered that there were no behind the scenes investors without being asked suggests that there may be behind the scene investors that don't want to be identified. Also, ignorance of the safety regulations is NEVER a defence for not complying with them. 

Planning and risk assessment are sorely lacking in Thailand, with the notable exception of the railway industry of which I have experience.

If the same standards were applied to the entertainment and other industries, quality and safety would soar. The problem is it costs money and affects greedy shareholders.

• Like 1

Thailand construction approach: profits/cost above safety..some years ago: at a 5 Start PUkhet Hotel a tourist gets electrocuted at a swimming pool: BKK two young men electrocuted at a hotel's swimming pool ...examples are endless ....Simple: shabby workmanship and no or poor or faked inspections....    

10 hours ago, smedly said:

I don't believe you have to be a fire expert to know that keeping fire exits locked is potentially dangerous. If the expert authorities advised them to keep the exits locked then they are culpable. Otherwise it is down to those who ordered the doors to be kept locked or blocked.

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

as a night club.

It was a licenced restaurant though.

Grey area though... when does a licenced restaurant with a live band become a nightclub though ?

No grey area, the place that killed 16 people and injured more was operated solely as a night club, the restaurant was in front of this establishment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No grey area, the place that killed 16 people and injured more was operated solely as a night club, the restaurant was in front of this establishment.

and yet the kitchen was inside and served customers seated inside.

Go figure  !!

So then finally we all agree, the government is guilty.

As they should inspect, do recommendations and approve.

Let them pay then. Invest time to search for brown envelopes.

Still no one knows about the explosion which occurred.

I think you can shut down all Thai bars, restaurants, even cosy wooden resorts completely. Too dangerous.

You remember some years ago student house?

Or UK, where they used flammable panels on the outside of a flat?

If you really want to avoid, then all should be a concrete building, all of it.

Chairs, tables all concrete. Anything what can burn, forbidden.

You are visiting? You have to take of your clothes, as many cloths are flammable due to plastic. Or put on cotton overalls with a hair net.

You drink a whisky or something like that? It has to be fire proof and vapors of alcohol cant come out. You want to go there?

Yes this is tragic, i wouldnt be one of the victims.

In Chiang Mai i was staying in a big hotel.

In their garage, on one of the upper floors, they keep old mainly wood furniture and other stuff. All piled together, very flammable. 

The garage is ... connected to the hotel.  Dont know if it is still there, but probably.

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

Not meant as a comparision.He was adressing the "silent partner" rumour! 

Yes that's what I thought too ... but I suspect no-one will be eating there any more even after they've cleared up the mess. That's the end of their revenue stream.

It could well be that they live more or less day to day financially with everything going straight into setting up and running the night club. Wonder if they'll have much cushion tucked away to pay any compensation. They certainly won't be insured and any insurance would refuse to pay anyway.

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Or UK, where they used flammable panels on the outside of a flat?

Grenfell. Also lousy building regulation and fitters cutting cost corners. Believe it or not there are still dozens of those fire traps still left in the UK - they haven't been renovated even after Grenfell. And the authorities move not.

21 hours ago, BusyB said:

Grenfell. Also lousy building regulation and fitters cutting cost corners. Believe it or not there are still dozens of those fire traps still left in the UK - they haven't been renovated even after Grenfell. And the authorities move not.

OK so it is up to you to name them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

To avoid going to prison is the whole idea of becoming a monk. Ask a man called Sutep.

I wonder what the official policy is on this..... unlike those that are dragged kicking and screaming from the long grass behind their mother's home, do they remove monks and lock them up?