Donald Trump says he invoked 5th Amendment in deposition for New York investigation

Scott

New york, usa - april 24, 2015: street view on new york state supreme building, or new york county courthouse, in lower manhattan, new york, usa. tourists nearby.

roman_babakin

Former President Donald Trump said in a statement Wednesday that he invoked the Fifth Amendment during his deposition under oath as part of the New York attorney general's civil investigation into the Trump Organization's finances.

In the lengthy statement, Trump blasted New York Attorney General Letitia James as politically motivated and alleged he "did nothing wrong."

"I once asked, 'If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?' Now I know the answer to that question," Trump wrote in announcing his decision to invoke his right against self-incrimination. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/08/10/trump-deposition-new-york-investigation/10284763002/

USA Today logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG

2 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Can we wait until he commits a crime, has a fair trial, and gets sentenced first? I realize that the sheer hatred against Donald Trump is such that most of the left just want him locked up without reason, or just because "they know" he is guilty of unspecified crimes, but without due process just locking him up would be a sign the USA is in fact a banana republic(which some of us realize after this fishing expedition and storming of Trumps home on flimsy excuses).

What stands out to me most, is that this visceral hatred of Trump is for such reasons that he cheated Mrs Clinton out of her win because he colluded with Vladimir Putin to cheat in the 2016 election, he got peed on by hookers in a bed that Barack Obama slept in when he was on a Russian trip, he called the military "suckers and losers", he forced his way on to Stormy Daniels, his supporters put a noose around the neck of and sprayed bleach onto a young LGBT black actor, and on and on. Sounds like such a terrible guy. Yet all these reasons for hatred were all hoaxes. All big fat lies ginned up to smear Donald Trump and cause those without well developed critical thinking skills to blindly hate the man.

And here we are. Good luck Mr Trump.

He has committed many crimes as a citizen and has been sentenced for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Can we wait until he commits a crime, has a fair trial, and gets sentenced first?

Did Trump wait until Hilary was sentenced for crime first before firing up the base with his chants of "Lock Her Up"?

3 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I realize that the sheer hatred against Donald Trump is such that most of the left just want him locked up without reason, or just because "they know" he is guilty of unspecified crimes, but without due process just locking him up would be a sign the USA is in fact a banana republic(which some of us realize after this fishing expedition and storming of Trumps home on flimsy excuses).

What stands out to me most, is that this visceral hatred of Trump is for such reasons that he cheated Mrs Clinton out of her win because he colluded with Vladimir Putin to cheat in the 2016 election, he got peed on by hookers in a bed that Barack Obama slept in when he was on a Russian trip, he called the military "suckers and losers", he forced his way on to Stormy Daniels, his supporters put a noose around the neck of and sprayed bleach onto a young LGBT black actor, and on and on. Sounds like such a terrible guy. Yet all these reasons for hatred were all hoaxes. All big fat lies ginned up to smear Donald Trump and cause those without well developed critical thinking skills to blindly hate the man.

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Can we wait until he commits a crime, has a fair trial, and gets sentenced first? I realize that the sheer hatred against Donald Trump is such that most of the left just want him locked up without reason, or just because "they know" he is guilty of unspecified crimes, but without due process just locking him up would be a sign the USA is in fact a banana republic(which some of us realize after this fishing expedition and storming of Trumps home on flimsy excuses).

And of course it wasn't him in the video about taking the 5th. Alex Baldwin's portrayal of Trump is really good isn't it?

30 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

For a criminal case, certainly.  Especially if you're guilty.  But for a civil case, the jury can assume "adverse inferences" if the defendant takes the 5th.  Meaning, the jury can assume that the reason Trump didn't answer a certain question is because his answer would be unfavorable for him. 

Especially when he himself has said that those taking the 5th are guilty! ????

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Apparently a whistleblower  told the FBi where the skeletons were hidden. Guess they will be on display soon.

Yes, there have been suggestions that the safe was empty , so I expect the FBI will soon make an announcement showing they found something as soon as they can .

I keep checking the news stations for an update of what they have found  . Nothing there yet

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

For a criminal case, certainly.  Especially if you're guilty.  But for a civil case, the jury can assume "adverse inferences" if the defendant takes the 5th.  Meaning, the jury can assume that the reason Trump didn't answer a certain question is because his answer would be unfavorable for him. 

I’m sure Trump’s lawyers legal qualifications exceed your own.

If they have advised him to take the 5th, they have probably considered the points you raised ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I’m sure Trump’s lawyers legal qualifications exceed your own.

If they have advised him to take the 5th, they have probably considered the points you raised ????

You're right, his lawyers probably did advice him, after all they know how many times he lies everyday so taking the 5th was probably a better bet

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, there have been suggestions that the safe was empty , so I expect the FBI will soon make an announcement showing they found something as soon as they can .

I keep checking the news stations for an update of what they have found  . Nothing there yet

Where? I haven't read that. How very Trumpian, implying a fact without evidence.

What's the liklihood that a billionaire in a hundred room mansion has an empty safe?

Edited by ozimoron

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Havent you been following the news ?

Trumps Son Eric has claimed the safe was empty .

Wasn't that story reported in the Guardian ?

I don't know. I asked you for a link which you are required to do under the rules of this forum.