Taxi drivers in front of hotel in Patong warn other taxi drivers about “stealing” customers

webfact

8 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

What is the name of the Hotel this Taxi stand has set up? What's going to happen if these thugs start harassing and threatening guests when there leave the hotel? will they witness assaults right outside their Hotel? Get a squad round to remove the posters and dismantle the Taxi stand. If they set up again at another Hotel arrest them.

Lovely idea..........................but are you familiar with the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you....".

I am guessing that the Tam Ruat have more than a vested interest in NOT making arrests.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see the mafia as those who deal in millions of dollars.

Let's make a simple calculation. Let's say the taxi-no-meter guys charge 350THB per trip which is about 10 USD. 1 million / 10 = 100,000 taxi trips. I don't know how many taxis are in Phuket, let's just say 1000. Then that's 100 trips per taxi. I don't think any of them has less than 3 trips per day. So there you have your million USD in one month. And that's just the taxis. Then there are the jet-ski guys and the rental guys and and and. A million here and a million there, it adds up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

What is the name of the Hotel this Taxi stand has set up? What's going to happen if these thugs start harassing and threatening guests when there leave the hotel? will they witness assaults right outside their Hotel? Get a squad round to remove the posters and dismantle the Taxi stand. If they set up again at another Hotel arrest them.

They already have in the past.

I recall a story of a lady going to collect her friend from a hotel. 

The ‘taxi thugs’ hanging around the hotel blocked this lady from getting to the hotel to pick up her friend because they thought she was working as a grab-driver.

This made national news - the lady was the wife of a consular officer at one of the consulates on Phuket. 

Then there is also this story... drivers actually blocking access to the hotels of other taxis which have been called... 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's make a simple calculation. Let's say the taxi-no-meter guys charge 350THB per trip which is about 10 USD. 1 million / 10 = 100,000 taxi trips. I don't know how many taxis are in Phuket, let's just say 1000. Then that's 100 trips per taxi. I don't think any of them has less than 3 trips per day. So there you have your million USD in one month. And that's just the taxis. Then there are the jet-ski guys and the rental guys and and and. A million here and a million there, it adds up.

Okay. You call them mafia. I'll call them low-life petty crooks.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:45 AM, steven100 said:

taxi mafia at it's best .....  just like the jet ski mafia .. and the motorbike taxi mafia ...  and the parasailing mafia ... and the motorbike rental mafia ...  and the speedboat mafia ...

Thailand -   the hub of mafia's 

You missed out the Government, to make the list complete.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:13 AM, Geoffggi said:

back to their old tricks. 

They never stopped.  Same during the pandemic. 

We always rent a car at the airport and return it the day we fly out.

Cheaper, more freedom, and alleviate the hassle of the taxi jerks.

Hotel (unnamed Marriott) wanted 900 baht to shuttle us 9 kilometers to Patong.  It's the whole island trying to rip you off.