Could you afford to live in the UK compared to Thailand?

webfact

In 2020 government expenditure in subsidies was around 203Bn Thai Baht. The government controls prices of more than four dozen essential goods and services such as rice, sugar, medicines, diesel, LPG, electricity, healthcare.

Thank you, mr Prayut

9 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

One's man's opinion does not a fact make.

I wish they would stop publishing these nonsense articles.

How many grown retired men have to rent a studio in their own city?

Have you had an operation in the UK lately? 

Any comparison between the first world and third world is simply foolish.

Did you factor in VISA costs, money in the bank for visa's, foreign health insurance for over 60 in Pattaya?

Of course not.

Question remains……. Which of both is 3rd world…. ???

You need more refugees over in the UK ?

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

Try finding jellied eel in Thailand! ????

What is it with the Brits? Cold pork pies, warm beer, and now jellied eels. Stuff most dogs would turn up their noses at.

Stick to making cheeses, please. That's something you guys are good at.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

What is it with the Brits? Cold pork pies, warm beer, and now jellied eels. Stuff most dogs would turn up their noses at.

Bangers and mash and a chip butty!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Excel said:

When it comes to lies they are probably on apar. However, unlike Boris Prayut has not been fined for committing a crime.

Didn't Prayut pay a fine for not wearing a mask?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/04/26/thailand-prime-minister-coronavirus-mask-fine/

So both PMs are COVID criminals!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That's the english.

Scots have no choice. The beer is always freezing and the pies are always hot.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My friend John "relocated" back to the UK. Free housing and medical care over there. He "lost" all his money here with not so wise "investments".

Did he want to move? No. But at least over there he could survive for free.

The way things are right now in the UK, after my life savings disappeared to pay electricity bills, I am not sure if I could have survived a UK winter.

16 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

You have brought up that now probably 100 times, in about every thread you enter, regardless if it is related or not.

Can you please tell us how this affects your life in Thailand?

If I have brought it up 100 times there is no need to explain anything to  you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You think Boris is better than Prayut?

In which way? He is much better educated and unlike our unelected PM, is actually a politician, voted in by the public, not a Military Academy educated soldier. ????

• Sad 1

UK seems to have some nice houses, decent rolling hills, history (in Thai we say HI-STOREY), and decent universities.  

Definitely not a place to ridicule.

Well, that is, until they ridicule a place far superior to their own.  But the UK is under the soiled sock used by Billy's 17-year brother every night and on top of a dead mouse that also once looked at the mighty Americans wrong......still paying the Yanks for WW2?  Sorry, should have had a better military.

anyhow, give me some fish and chips all day!!! 

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Brits as you call them are full of would bee's if they could bee's.

Even if the UK was half the price of Thailand on living costs I would not consider the country as a place to reside .

I am British by the way.

3 hours ago, huangnon said:

For at least six months of the year outside the Winter months, it's very livable, imo.

Was there in April/May this year, and the weather was great. Certainly a nice change from the intense heat and humidity in Thailand during these months.

I was in Scotland in May, June and July, even just going to a local shop, I always had to wear a hoody, I bought a thick jumper from a charity shop to wear in the house, not that much rain, but almost every day there was far too much wind, and every night had to sit watching movies and old TV shows on my laptop with a hot water bottle on my lap, putting the electric heater on would have played havoc with my life savings.

I have lived in Bangkok for the last 31 years. Build our house and paid cash for it, which was move in ready 2 wks after we arrive.  I am America but had lived in Centeral England for 6+ years before retiring here, did not even go back to the US for 3 years after we got here.  I have a very good pention and can live either here or the US with the same live style.  Only downside is the Woke/Pc  idiots now in my home city Seattle, will never live there again. I find the cost of food here higher for many items I like to eat. The cost of untiltes are about the same here as in the US but car prices are real high here. My reason for staying in Thailand is the medical care and its cost here, have a very good insurance so the cost at Bangkok Hospital is very little for us and no waiting to see a doctor. Everyone has their reasons were to live.

I have a memory of a occasion where I took my parents to a pricey restaurant in pimlico London . On leaving a woman said to us is McDonald's not a better choice for you? I saw red but my father said wisely just forget it.

One of many reasons I have little desire to live in the UK what ever the cost of living.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

“Of course, if you are retired you probably do not pay tax.”

pension income is taxed just like any other income. 

i'm retired, age 52. what's a "pension"? ????

Edited by Lemsta69

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

i'm retired, age 52. what's a "pension"? ????

Something you may be entitled too later in life, assuming of course you live long enough to claim it. Look upon it as a state gift for your senior years ????

• Haha 1