Could you afford to live in the UK compared to Thailand?

webfact

Good morning

Prices in Brighton seem extremely high..!!

I have been told last week by a farang immigration volunteer that the situation in Pattaya is "not good".. Apparently a lot of long term expats left or will be leaving soon.

Would be interesting to get exact figures.

Have a nice day

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, scotsdude said:

Have had to live in both countries the past couple of years due to covid... A weekly grocery shop in the UK is far cheaper than in Thailand.... The only things cheaper in Thailand is rent and fuel... For a retiree with no family committments living on street food maybe it's cheap but not if you have to raise a family and education fees come into the equation..... There's pro & cons in both countries... 

Electricity, Water and Poll Tax (Equivalent)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scotsdude said:

Have had to live in both countries the past couple of years due to covid... A weekly grocery shop in the UK is far cheaper than in Thailand.... The only things cheaper in Thailand is rent and fuel... For a retiree with no family committments living on street food maybe it's cheap but not if you have to raise a family and education fees come into the equation..... There's pro & cons in both countries... 

I would agree with the shopping and little beats the quality and variety of a UK supermarket.

The naysayers will point to how cheap it is to buy from the local market, but this is not a khao pad and rambutan conversation. That said, I maintain that chicken and pork in Thailand is better than the UK. 

It is, of course, an impossible comparison. Renting my condo by the seaside in Thailand costs less per month than the fuel bills for my old housed in the UK, but the house in the UK has increased in value from £300k to £550k in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thelasthornet said:

You choose Brighton for a comparison. It's one of the most expensive places in the UK to live. The prices are comparable to central London. If you want to live by the sea choose the Welsh coast or some of the less fashionable parts of the Norfolk coast and it will probably cost half the amount. 

Brighton is a gay town now days.

No thank you.

But fond memories of the place as a kid.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

In the UK you can live near the ocean, but can you take a dip in the ocean year round?

I am glad that I can afford to live in Canada, yet, but the costs do go up a little each year.

I do have good health so far, and ion Canada, I can see a doctor and get fix up fairly

quickly.  I also cannot go swimming in the Canadian oceans from November to June, unless

I wear a wet suit.  Cheers.