Could you afford to live in the UK compared to Thailand?

webfact

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

During the pandemic I stayed in a B and B, about £400 month, no bills, just buy your food, so you could live in the UK for about £700 a month easily. Not a great life but a liveable one.

I currently only get £650 a month private company 55 year pension, but can live in Thailand as I rent my house out outside London for a silly amount (silly but still 25% below market value). So, if I take my house back - no mortgage - I could probably live a life there now, not great but OK, Get a lodger in for 400-500 a month and my life in UK now would be fine.

At 65 my income for pension would be about £1,400 a month - and with the house paid, I'd live quite easy in the UK - bung in a lodger and that £2,000 with a house would be a great life.

This article above should be asking how many people wasted their money, sold their house and assets and now do not have a pot to wee in on return to the UK and would their meagre income now from wasting their life's money now give them a life !

I planned my retirement and old age, I will not be rich, but OK. 

As for the amounts quoted in the above article for £4,000 a month plus to live - total bull - unless you are renting a flaming mansion !  i

Sorry but the retirement age in the UK is now 66 due to rise to 68 depending on your date of birth.

Also in response to the OP I am a pensioner and I pay wodges of tax in the UK.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Access to the NHS is priceless. I consider Brits to be extremely fortunate to have such an excellent healthcare system. The other UK prices seem a bit high to me, but still not on par with a beachside community in the USA. Americans get ripped off at every turn.  Bravo, Blighty!!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

Access to the NHS is priceless. I consider Brits to be extremely fortunate to have such an excellent healthcare system. The other UK prices seem a bit high to me, but still not on par with a beachside community in the USA. Americans get ripped off at every turn.  Bravo, Blighty!!!

It used to be excellent but the present Govt seem determined to run it into the ground. Friend of mine back in the UK has recently been told there's a 2 year wait for the prostate surgery he desperately needs.

• Thanks 2

If I had to return to the U.K. I can live to a better standard than a lot of my compatriots.I was always brought up to never put all your eggs in one basket and that savings was essential for a rainy day that’s was the best advice my late father ever gave me he also said never fall in love with a property always look at it as a piece of concrete and if someone comes along with an offer you cannot refuse then never turn it down in the last 30 years I’ve owned 6 properties each one making me a tidy profit that makes my retirement comfortable. . With all that said I doubt very much if I would return to the U.K. it’s a good 15+ years since I was last there !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Given the famous UK climate, I'm wondering why anyone would even consider living there. Perhaps that's why Brits have spread to all corners of the globe.

For at least six months of the year outside the Winter months, it's very livable, imo.

Was there in April/May this year, and the weather was great. Certainly a nice change from the intense heat and humidity in Thailand during these months.

Q the anti English.

Nonsense topic. Can’t compare one of the top places in UK with a S hole in a developing country. Personally rather live in the former where I’m getting paid decent money and don’t get asked if I want a massage or to buy a suit every five seconds!

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My friend John "relocated" back to the UK. Free housing and medical care over there. He "lost" all his money here with not so wise "investments".

Did he want to move? No. But at least over there he could survive for free.

Precisely. Not everyone is the same. Some people just can't get over the fact that they are living there and not on holiday. They drink everyday and think they can spend more because things are. Eventually, they live beyond their means and need to go home where there are less temptations and they are forced to spend less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Q the anti English.

Nonsense topic. Can’t compare one of the top places in UK with a S hole in a developing country. Personally rather live in the former where I’m getting paid decent money and don’t get asked if I want a massage or to buy a suit every five seconds!

Most of these guys are retired so it is much different than if you need to work. However, many more are working remotely on a foreign salary and living very well with lower costs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Q the anti English.

Can't remember last time I was asked 'want massage or suit'

Better life choice = better retirement

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, huangnon said:

For at least six months of the year outside the Winter months, it's very livable, imo.

Was there in April/May this year, and the weather was great. Certainly a nice change from the intense heat and humidity in Thailand during these months.

What intense heat and humidity? Chiang Rai is cooler than most other parts of Thailand.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My friend John "relocated" back to the UK. Free housing and medical care over there. He "lost" all his money here with not so wise "investments".

Did he want to move? No. But at least over there he could survive for free.

If I would "relocate" to GerMoney, there would be nothing for free to me in this nanny state that I never wanted. And I doubt there's anything really for free in the UK. 

I have been in Thailand for 10 years now and have excellent life although I go to UK every year for few weeks. Last year I went back in mid pendemic and decided to stay 6 months renting one bed furnished apartment in Nottingham in good area. My average monthly expense was around £2000 per month including apartment rent of £700, had 6 month contract with car lease (brand new car) costing £400 per month plus fuel. Used to eat out about 2 or three times a week mainly in pub early evening offers. This was real test for me as since I came back have suffered heart attack and had pnomonia staying in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for 11 nights to recover. Dont have health insurance, had to pay -1st time in hospital like this for long stay but still feel Pattaya is much better place to live n enjoy life as long as you can move about. Once I will need help to move or for living do not know what to do ? I have been living alone and is 71 Age.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The UK is in a hell of a state right now. My daughter's family have just been told their gas/electric bill is rising to £760 pm, a rise of 530%.

Life in the village feels alot better than that <deleted> right now.

They’re using  double the average amount then,although I expect that’s a glitch in their direct debit amount rather than actual usage.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

My total income is 900 UK pounds a month I live in Samui now for 22 years. funny enough i transfer 650 t0 700 a month and can still save about 200. i have savings back in England and also here. I have not had to break into them yet and still add to my UK account. I did lease a house for 28 years so no rent to pay only have to pay for water electric food which I buy and cook myself. 

I have active life style gym cycling swimming and going to the beach. i do not drink or go out to bars etc. . so i do ok also have long term partner who also works for herself . have a great day 

Due to Immigration demands, I must transfer Bht 50,000 = £1200 per month (Combo method with Bht 220k in the bank = Bht 820k)

My total UK income is in the region of £ 800 per month, so below the tax thresh-hold but I have to dip into my UK investments/savings/kid's inheritance!. I too manage to save some here.

19 minutes ago, micmichd said:

If I would "relocate" to GerMoney, there would be nothing for free to me in this nanny state that I never wanted. And I doubt there's anything really for free in the UK. 

If you’re an unemployed dosser in U.K. there’s plenty for free,but not a comfortable existence- miserable.

20 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Depends on your nationality, mode of transport to UK, and how many kids you have.

25 minutes ago, micmichd said:

If you have German nationality and if you would arrive in Germany without any money and no living relatives, then I am pretty sure Germany would take care of you. They won't let you starve.