TAT to Propose Visa Extension for Tourists

snoop1130

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

the truth goes like this: "Without foreigners - both workers and tourists - the kingdom's economy has no future whatsoever."

not accurate, tourism only contributes around 11%-12% of GDP, if thailand really wanted to it could pivot its economy and rely less on tourism

I am going to book mark this and if I am still around in 5 years I will revisit and see how this plays out. Personally I think you are so wrong.

But, Thailand is already pivoting away from expats in a huge way. So, will be interesting to see the results of the loss of tourism in the future.

Edited by Gknrd

11 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I think they already tried that. Virtually no tourism for most of 2020, all of 2021, and the first half of 2022. Apparently it wasn’t working out so well. %10 is a pretty low estimate especially when considering multiplier effects.

Agree, Thailand is trying every scheme in the playbook to bring in tourists. And especially skilled high paid workers. To me it is a sign of desperation!

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

Too much reliance on tourism leads to chopping and changing to attract people and then push them away. Spending money on human development then easing rules for business would garner a much better return for the country.

7 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Thailand and the immigration is set up for 2 week tourists.. If you want to stay and spend 3-6 months here it is next to impossible. 

Looks like the Philippines is the place to go now. Screw Thai immigration hassles. Who in their right mind wants to put up with the immigration hassles in Thailand.. 

There is nothing whatsoever in immigration policy that is "set up for  2 week tourists"  unless you know something that I don't ? The most basic form of entry (visa exempt) provides for an initial stay of 30 days and is extendable by a further 30 days

It is far from impossible to stay here from 3 -6 months  a multiple entry tourist visa would enable nearly a 9 month stay

A single entry tourist visa enables a 3 month stay and when coupled with a quick in out border bounce a 5 month stay is easily achievable . Then repeat to achieve 7 months.  Non of which is particularly onerous for the average traveller

• Like 1

'Imagine the amount of cheese that would be needed if they had to go to Immigration every 60 days instead !' 

Many travel agencies in the Philippines will do the visa renewal for you,  for a fee,  just as in Thailand. 

Remember also that to get this 60 day extension (for upto 3 years) you can start off on a Visa Exemption entry.  You do not have to have 800,000 in the bank,  an income stream or any other conditions,  unlike Thailand.  You just pay the fee. 

If you want a Retirement Visa,  that is available as well,  with monetary conditions,  but you NEVER report to immigration when you have it,  (Google SRRV) 

Edited by biggles45

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn said that TAT would propose tourist visas be valid for 45 days instead of 30 days and visas on arrival for 30 days instead of 15 days and the measure should continue until Dec 31, 2022.

So generous..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

There is nothing whatsoever in immigration policy that is "set up for  2 week tourists"  unless you know something that I don't ? The most basic form of entry (visa exempt) provides for an initial stay of 30 days and is extendable by a further 30 days

It is far from impossible to stay here from 3 -6 months  a multiple entry tourist visa would enable nearly a 9 month stay

A single entry tourist visa enables a 3 month stay and when coupled with a quick in out border bounce a 5 month stay is easily achievable . Then repeat to achieve 7 months.  Non of which is particularly onerous for the average traveller

Pass, you would spend all your time paying immigration and doing visa runs.  

I am retired, you can have this mess. I have looked into all the above. 

I want a nice place to spend 6 months a year then go back home. You would have to be out of your mind to do that here.  haha

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Why not offer at the airport or border-crossing a choice, to qualified incoming visitors, an option of 30, 60, or 90 day visas?  Set the costs at say for 30-day free, 60-day 1000bht, and 90-day 2000bht?  You pay with a Credit card or baht to immigration and get your passport stamped; off you go.   This would be more streamlined, less hassle, and easier way to entice more tourists to visit Thailand.

'Streamlined' ?  It's not only because there are 171,476 words in the English dictionary and only 2,864 words in the Thai dictionary that 'streamlined'  is not easily understood here.  If the amount of work undertaken by banks/immigration/land and transport offices and even sales assistants in this country was made more efficient there would be another 10 million unemployed in this country.

Edited by DaLa
missing space between words
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PeachCH said:

You said:

thought it was easier in the Philippines.

Well, get married and you get a permanent visa. Once a year visit Immigration and pay around 200 Thai Baht (320 Peso) 

But if you get married it costs you ten times more in the long run. Like most things in Asia.......rent.

• Like 1

Once again more confusion from the office that should know better.  If they could make the requirements easier it might attract more tourists.  Instead they continually modify the different types of visas and leave everyone, including themselves, confused as to what is available.  This plays out with each immigration office having their own version of how it should work.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pomchop said:

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn said that TAT would propose tourist visas be valid for 45 days instead of 30 days and visas on arrival for 30 days instead of 15 days and the measure should continue until Dec 31, 2022.

One might think they would know that a tourist visa which is a pain in the butt to get online is valid for 60 days and not 30...why would anyone go through all the hassles of downloading doc after doc and paying a non refundable $40 and then waiting 10 days or more to get a response if all they get is the same 30 days (not 15 days) that a visa exempt person get for doing/paying nothing?

It always amazes me that that these govt and big corps can't spend a few baht to hire a native or at least fluent English speaker to PROOF READ their announcements.  It would take all of about 5 minutes for someone to point out the obvious errors. How much could that cost?  I suspect the problem is that it would cause some bigwig to lose face when shown he has no clue about proper english.

You can extend tourist visa for 30 days more, so it would be 90 days, and then can use visa exempt entry 2 times, 

Edited by anandra

51 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Pass, you would spend all your time paying immigration and doing visa runs.  

I am retired, you can have this mess. I have looked into all the above. 

I want a nice place to spend 6 months a year then go back home. You would have to be out of your mind to do that here.  haha

You obviously have not researched things very well , with a multiple entry tourist visa there would be no need to pay anything to Thai immigration, and to suggest that  the 2 visa runs required would involve "taking up all ones time is clearly either an exaggeration or an example of very bad planning bordering on incompetence   haha

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Yes I'm in Philippines stay 3 years on tourist visa just renew every 2months easy

There is a degree of arrogance in TAT. Thailand is no longer the go to nation for those entering God's waiting room or wanting to flirt with beautiful girls.. 

It's heyday came and went but yet the Thai government  act as if they are still top dog.

They continue creating hoops and hurdles then moving them around making long term or short term stay really sticky and messy.

I am not sure what they are trying to protect themselves from? Tourists and Wrinklies are their cash cows and should be given a red carpet not a bureaucratic minefield.

If they just did the same as other countries where they want tourists. Allow entry for 60 days with a stamp on arrival as you go through passport control. Then a quick renewal system that allows up to 12 months stay with restricted reentry for 3 months afterwards. After that you need to apply for a long stay visa based on income, or permanent residency if you are married to a national. Simple and easy.

Make the process simpler then people would want to stay here. Now the Philippines is the number one choice in most peoples books. 

Easy,Easy,Easy...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

You obviously have not researched things very well , with a multiple entry tourist visa there would be no need to pay anything to Thai immigration, and to suggest that  the 2 visa runs required would involve "taking up all ones time is clearly either an exaggeration or an example of very bad planning bordering on incompetence   haha

Are you doing this?  It is a joke plain and simple. As much as I like Thailand is is a pain in the A$$. And I am not a cheap Charlie.  As I have stated I have looked into it. Pass, pass pass. 

Wasn't to bad before the laws changed on the retirement visa for westerners. I would put up with the nonsense of 90 reports and address changes. Now???  please. Thailand is a place to avoid at all costs for people with the funds to travel 6 months a year for a stress free retirement.

Nobody with the funds to have a second home is going to come to Thailand from the western world plain and simple. 

Thailand got arragant before covid and no matter what they did mattered for tourism. China?  the saving grace was Thailand's savior.  What a joke. If Thailand would of had a brain they would of know China is in decline and Covid only speeded things up.

To late for Thailand as a retirement destination now. No way no how. 

It's basically a 2 week vacation spot.  

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

People here whine to no end about having to do "90 Day Reports" as it is. Imagine the amount of cheese that would be needed if they had to go to Immigration every 60 days instead !

I thought it was easier in the Philippines.

Some immigration do a 6 months  at a time depending  where ur based

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, it doesn't need to be presented anymore when extending a visa? And what would one write on the application form for an extension where it asks for the TM6 number?

Leave it blank.....

I think the revenue from tourism is greatly overestimated. Guides, rent shops, beer bars and bar girls, travel agencies - they all pay almost no taxes. I used to work with few = one launder payments through her German personal account (don't ask how), others deal with cash and middle men. Hotels? Same scheme: hotel (resort, whatever) run by banana company registered at some rice field far North for few years, later switched to another service/managing company while money flow through their accounts. Even that W* resort with villas and private pools at Samui, not to mention A* hotel at Phayathai Rd. Bangkok that sorry building with proud name of Grand Ay**** at Ratchada. 

I wouldn't call "grey money" or even "black cash" legit revenue of the country.  

DSC00081.JPG