20,000 baht on arrival requirement

12 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

It isn't random, they ask it when they suspect someone is unable to pay for their visit to Thailand. 

Most tourists will have the equivalent of US$500 on them when they travel internationally.

But if you look like a derelict backpacker that is on their last legs, then this is a way to disqualify your visit into Thailand.

this came up a lot pre-Covid. some dudes who were living here on back-to-back visa exempt stamps were reporting that they were being asked for proof of funds. 

for some reason they didn't have it on them because... reasons. apparently B20k is a massive amount of money and you're a nutjob if you travel with that much cash on you ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Most tourists will have the equivalent of US$500 on them when they travel internationally.

Back  in my day I would have 10000 USD in cash just to party. The girls would great me with HELLO HANDSOMEMAN. That amount would last me for 2 weeks. If I needed more I would go to an ATM. I was an oil man from Saudi Arabia.????

• Haha 2

I've never been asked, my hunch is it would greatly depend on one's appearance, a smartly dressed person would be highly unlikely to be checked for this, whereas someone who looked like they'd be begging on the streets for their next meal would in all likelihood be asked to show sufficient funds. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grain said:

I've never been asked, my hunch is it would greatly depend on one's appearance, a smartly dressed person would be highly unlikely to be checked for this, whereas someone who looked like they'd be begging on the streets for their next meal would in all likelihood be asked to show sufficient funds. 

I wore Levi's and a shirt. That was about as smart as I dressed. And most of the time I was moved to FIRST CLASS.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

for some reason they didn't have it on them because... reasons. apparently B20k is a massive amount of money and you're a nutjob if you travel with that much cash on you ????

If flying to a neighboring country for a day, before flying back to Thailand to get a new visa exempt, why would you carry 20k baht in cash? The only reason would be to show to Thai immigration, but if you didn't know that they might ask you for it...

Some of them might even have money in a Thai bank account, but that's not accepted by immigration if they look for a reason to deny entry.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If flying to a neighboring country for a day, before flying back to Thailand to get a new visa exempt, why would you carry 20k baht in cash? The only reason would be to show to Thai immigration, but if you didn't know that they might ask you for it...

Some of them might even have money in a Thai bank account, but that's not accepted by immigration if they look for a reason to deny entry.

LOL

Danok immigration  tried to "shake me down" once, when re-entering one evening on a border hop.

Insisted even though I held a non-imm multiple entry O visa . 

Eventually, but reluctantly, accepted a show of funds on my Thai on-line banking app.

Not a pleasant experience.....and I was smartly dressed ????

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I wore Levi's and a shirt. That was about as smart as I dressed. And most of the time I was moved to FIRST CLASS.

Decent Levis (or any other quality jeans) and (collared) shirt are smart dress in my book.  That's how I always travel.

Old, dirty, worn jeans and scruffy T-shirt may not be considered smart by some in authority.

Oh and back on-topic, been travelling to Thailand since 1985 on various different visas or visa-free entry and have NEVER been asked to show cash on arrival.

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mancub said:

Danok immigration  tried to "shake me down" once, when re-entering one evening on a border hop.

Insisted even though I held a non-imm multiple entry O visa . 

Eventually, but reluctantly, accepted a show of funds on my Thai on-line banking app.

Not a pleasant experience.....and I was smartly dressed ????

I think they will request show-of-funds for those who are border runners.

For those one time visitors, I don't think they will.

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I think they will request show-of-funds for those who are border runners.

For those one time visitors, I don't think they will.

It's the only time I've ever encountered it, although I recall it being an issue for several people at the consulate in Savannakhet a few years back when applying for visitor visas. There was a sign advising of the requirement I think.