Numbered Days For The Grandfather Rule?

The (retirement?) requirements went from 200K to 400K overnight since I have been here. They had no problem changing that law and they won't have one changing it again.

That change was definitely grandfathered........... :o

And Grandad should know. :D:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You heard this where, when, from who, at what immigration office(s)? This is the first report I have seen with this information so I wonder why others have not been reporting this: but you have, it seems, heard this from many people?

I just renewed my one year extension (coming off a WP onto a marriage visa and showed 650k (500k deposited only two days before). It went fine, except that they asked me for photos and a map of my house. I was told by TV members that I wouldn't get the grandfather option. This was at Suan Plu and my friend went the next day and had to sign a statemment saying he would have the money in the account 3 months before applying next year. Consistently inconsistent I think.

It seems by many references that Suan Plu is by far the easiest place in Thailand to get your extension. Perhaps it would be worth simply going there instead of messing with the local plod?

Assuming your paperwork is in order, does Suan Plu issue the Visa immidiately? If not how long do they usually take to issue?

Family type extensions are not issued immediately. Believe 30 days or less is current policy in Bangkok. It used to be a 40-45 day wait. That is one advantage of using retirement when you have that option.

The (retirement?) requirements went from 200K to 400K overnight since I have been here. They had no problem changing that law and they won't have one changing it again.

That change was definitely grandfathered........... :D

And Grandad should know. :D:D

Unrelated grandfathering...................... :o

I am sorry I cannot find the link, but Sunbelt has queried this with the Head of Immigration

and the "grandfathering" will continue for those in the system before Oct 2006.

We cannot get closer to the horses mouth than that. :D

Every one has to agree that was the official policy at that time. Every also has to agree that the official policy could change at any minute. All it takes is for one of these guys to go to a fortune teller and be told that falangs will be the downfall of thailand if we are not removed. That would be a joke if this wasn't thailand.

JR Texas: Let me look at my Crystal Ball..........huuummmmmm.......I can see something.....no it is getting cloudy.....yes....there it is........a Thai man with a big grin on his face.....he is in some type of uniform.....now he is laughing.....I don't know why......wait....he is reading something..........what does it say......it is hard for me to see......(please readers of this thread, send me some money now).....oh, thanks.....now I can see again.....it says: :o:DAs of December 15, 2007, all grandfathered laws will be abrogated because we do not like farangs.....have a nice day.

Yes, moderator, I am joking.

Family type extensions are not issued immediately. Believe 30 days or less is current policy in Bangkok. It used to be a 40-45 day wait. That is one advantage of using retirement when you have that option.

I know we always have to wait 30 days - some times several times - in Pattaya but it was my impression from the previous poster that Suan Plu issue the visa on the spot. I was obviously wrong :o

JR Texas: Let me look at my Crystal Ball..........huuummmmmm.......I can see something.....no it is getting cloudy.....yes....there it is........a Thai man with a big grin on his face.....he is in some type of uniform.....now he is laughing.....I don't know why......wait....he is reading something..........what does it say......it is hard for me to see......(please readers of this thread, send me some money now).....oh, thanks.....now I can see again.....it says: :o:DAs of December 15, 2007, all grandfathered laws will be abrogated because we do not like farangs.....have a nice day.

Yes, moderator, I am joking.

I realise you are joking. But remember that a retiree 60 or over who entered before 21 Oct 98 can obtain extension with only 200k or 20k/mth. And don't forget that his wife and children and mother and father can get each get 1 year visas as family members/dependants. So 4...5.....6 farangs for 20k/mth. WHAT'S MORE he doesn't even to to spend that each month.

There is some evidence that farangs are not entirely unwelcome and grandfather rights are honored.

2. "Grandfathering" is not a term understood by Immigration officials. Therefore, it is impossible that an official could have said what your friends say he allegedly said.

Proud words. Maybe they could be altered to:

Police regulations, Immigration rules and other written laws concerning Visas are terms not understood by Immigration officials. Therefore it is impossible that a Visa can be granted based on the applicant following any of these rules.

When I renewed my One Year O Extension earlier this Year, I came with proof of income according to the rules (lots of photocopies, including 3 month tax payment. I was turned down, and being told they want to see a full Year of employment. (I had only 6 month). But I got extended after showing them a bank book with over 400000 Baht, most of the money was paid in only a few days before the 2nd application. The morale for me was: Don't follow their rules. They don't care about them.

Sunny

PS: Have been told at application that the Bank Book way won't happen next Year, too. (Pattaya Immigration). That made me believe this Grandfathering is not a temporary, but a written down permanent law thing. Which as can be read here, turned out to be true.

BS sunny boy.

If you`re not iffy and apply for a visa following the correct procedures, having the required paperworks with enough funds in the bank, you will have no problems obtaining a visa.

The courteous officials at Immigration dont like attitude and know it alls. Give them what they want to see, tell them what they want to hear. It`s that simple.

...a retiree 60 or over who entered before 21 Oct 98 can obtain extension with only 200k or 20k/mth.

If a retired person qualified for extension with only 400k in the bank is “grandfathered”, then I guess we could call a person extending with 200k “great-grandfathered”. He would only be 69+ years old today. Don’t we have a couple of ThaiVisa members in that age group? Gary A, if that is he in his avatar?

av-17093.gif

Or Jayenram?

av-123.jpg

--

Maestro

Ok, my turn.

I've just returned home from Suan Plu. I was in and out within one hour. I siht you not, one hour.

No moving from desk to desk.

No interview or silly questions of any kind.

No mention of money/income/job etc.

And definately no mention of any forthcoming rule changes that will effect me for next year.

Mind you, I think having my one month old son with me helped a fair bit!

SL.

Recently renewed my non o visa for my third year here in Phuket. The immigration officer clearly stated to my wife and I that as of next year I would have to show 40k monthly income despite being grandfathered and having 400+k in the bank. So yes I can confirm that the rules are changing...

So yes I can confirm that the rules are changing...

You can post that an official at the Phuket immigration office told you that next year you “would have to show 40k monthly income despite being grandfathered and having 400+k in the bank”, but you cannot confirm that the rules are changing. Two different things.

--------------

Maestro

OK what I mean is that I confirm the OP's comment that immigration officers are telling us that as from next year the grandfathered rule changes. When a guy in a brown uniform holding your passport and stamping it tells you this it is hard to say "yes, but, I read that that this is not the case".

How many times do we have to say it - there is no such thing as renewal of a visa. At Immigration you convert a 30 day entry or a visa to a non immigrant visa or you extend your permitted to stay from a visa entry.

If you would like to be helpful please advise on what basis you extended your permitted to stay to one year at Immigration? Education perhaps? Retirement? Over 50 with Thai child? Accompany student?

JR Texas: Part of me hopes that this grandfathered rule, along with the others, is abrogated. Why? Because I want to read on this forum the comments from those that are now grandfathered in who have been stating that the visa changes are good for Thailand are are only about ridding Thailand of "perpetual tourists" and "criminals" and "less than quality tourists," and that the 40K per month rule makes sense and is easy to meet. I wonder if your tune will change.

How many times do we have to say it - there is no such thing as renewal of a visa. At Immigration you convert a 30 day entry or a visa to a non immigrant visa or you extend your permitted to stay from a visa entry.

If you would like to be helpful please advise on what basis you extended your permitted to stay to one year at Immigration? Education perhaps? Retirement? Over 50 with Thai child? Accompany student?

JR Texas: Part of me hopes that this grandfathered rule, along with the others, is abrogated. Why? Because I want to read on this forum the comments from those that are now grandfathered in who have been stating that the visa changes are good for Thailand are are only about ridding Thailand of "perpetual tourists" and "criminals" and "less than quality tourists," and that the 40K per month rule makes sense and is easy to meet. I wonder if your tune will change.

And what does the above have to do with my post to MrSquigle?

Edit: MrSquigle's post referred to above has been deleted for being off-topic and trollish.

Edited by Maestro

And what does the above have to do with my post to MrSquigle?

JR Texas to Lopburi 3: Your post was just the last in line when I decided to rant........it was not directed at you or MrSquigle....just a bit pissed off at some of the people that have made what I think are terribly insensitive comments over the past year regarding the visa changes........feel like they think they are superior to all others because they are fine now.

Well, I am fine now too, but I am not about to go "politically correct" and try to make people believe that these changes make sense and are good for Thailand. I think that all of us should be worried that the visa bar will eventually reach us.....no matter what our present status. I

It already has reached many businesspersons in various ways......and family men, etc. I am just sick of it....makes me furious and personally I do not like anger at all. Sorry.......just a bit pissed off at the moment.

OK what I mean is that I confirm the OP's comment that immigration officers are telling us that as from next year the grandfathered rule changes. When a guy in a brown uniform holding your passport and stamping it tells you this it is hard to say "yes, but, I read that that this is not the case".

Recently our man at Sunbelt checked with the Head of Immigration at Suan Plu in Bangkok,

the answer was that the grandfathering of the 400K will stay in place.

Here is the link.

Now if you prefer to believe the junior officer's interpretation........................

then that is up to you.

Panic away to your hearts content. :o

Until there is firm evidence to contradict this view, this topic is closed.