Self insure v health insurance

Adelphi

23 hours ago, SteveBull said:

In Hua Hin's main hospital they have a VIP option 250 baht I think it is - if you don't pay it you've got a hefty wait in the busiest hospital in stifling conditions, if you do pay it you are taken to a different area and seen within the hour. They could put another zero on the end of that and given the options I would still pay it personally.

Agreed 100% for an extra charge to get great service is worth it...

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, sanuk711 said:

Yes--once again its accident not illness--- so age isn't the most important thing , under 65 is about 2,500Bht a year--but we are not talking about large amounts paid out here--its aimed primary at the Thai market---but for someone who doesn't want full insurance --then just a bit of a cushion to help.

------

Here is one bank BKKI hope its OK to post link.   for 16--65 years   https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/My-Family-and-Me/Bancassurance/BKI/PA-1st/PA-1st-Smart

Just tried that one. Over 65 = forget it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not quite, like i said further up a guy recently was in a 6 months coma and govt hospital kept him alive until he woke up and could pay. He had no ID or money on him

Well there was 'a guy' CxnNxl on ThaiVisa in Khon Kaen in coma for 6 moths following motorbike accident which left him as paraplegic but his Thai wife was a local school administrator.

Edited by jerrymahoney

I think most realize that Self insure is a double edged sword

On the one hand yes self insure & not need medical services & you saved $$$

On the other hand few are actually disciplined enough to keep stoking the self insure fund or usually under estimate costs

because they base medical costs on a few simple diagnostics they have had done in Thailand.

Although even if they do have just one decent real medical event then it empties the whole fund & maybe is even short

what then if your fund is too small? Do you have the difference? Even if you do your fund after this event is now  possibly back to $0 balance. Can you refill it quick enough for future events?

Yes government hospitals have to stabilize you but private hospitals do not. Instead they will just transfer you to a govt facility

where again they will not repair for free just stabilize till pay ability is shown

So at the end of the day it is kind of obvious isn't it?

Folks that actually have wealth can self insure but usually will just pay insurance as price is not tough on them

Folks that have less wealth seek to save by rolling the dice & self insure hoping they win, They may or may not

Do you feel lucky?

Edited by mania

26 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well there was 'a guy' CxnNxl on ThaiVisa in Khon Kaen in coma for 6 moths following motorbike accident which left him as paraplegic but his Thai wife was a local school administrator.

Hows that relevant when his thai wife was there? i.e. could pay up

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people i know are self insuring and they aren't short of money, a minority have insurance but usually poor quality insurance like a thai insurer or one of those newer shady companies, so i reckon self insuring is much more common than people on this forum think

Self-insurance for one is a misnomer. Companies that self-insure  spread the risk against a number of employees. When you are the only self-insuree you have a reserve. There is no sharing of risk when there is only one person.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Get insurance  while you  can. You can also get insurance  here. There is no such thing  a self insurance- it's just a fantasy.

It's not just serious  illness like a stroke or haemorrhage but minor  illness that require  treatment. If you have  insurance  you will look  after  yourself  better

Some people do self insure and it's definitely not a fantasy, they are not however what you might call normal people.

We're talking about people with many millions of USD or equivalent available - and in my opinion that's what it takes to self insure.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Some people do self insure and it's definitely not a fantasy, they are not however what you might call normal people.

We're talking about people with many millions of USD or equivalent available - and in my opinion that's what it takes to self insure.

And for others with millions of USD available, the premium for a multi-million USD per year limit policy is a pittance.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

ok we could say the same about the claim you bang on about

The claim I bang on about was me. Not anecdotal. I have documents. 

Unless you mean the guy I referenced just once who was in a coma for 6 months at a government hospital but that guy was once voted Poster of the Year on Thaivisa.com so not just "some guy".

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

I'm 71 with an O-A visa and just done extension of stay with the required medical insurance which I have always had ! I was originally on a "O" retirement visa but had to go out of country when Covid emerged and at that time , the only way back was to obtain an O-A visa at the Thai Embassy ( I already had the medical insurance so no problem).  However , my premium has jumped 45% as I'm in a new age bracket and although 100,000 baht still seems reasonable I had to up the deductible to 300,000 baht to keep the premium down . 

Now , of course anything under that I have to pay so am also considering self insure and keeping say 1 million in the bank reserved for medical and visa -  quickly accessible but hardly any interest , but have other funds ( 1M ) available from offshore for transfer if required .    That keeps my money with me and if nothing serious before I'm 81 then I have saved 1M in premiums over the next 10 years !     

I will also take out a local personal accident policy which are very reasonable - quoted 5000 baht ( excludes motorbikes) .

Is there any set minimum for self insure to be acceptable by immigration at renewal of extension of stay (retirement)  ???         

Does anyone know how to get a very high deductible insurance plan where I pay my deductible at the insurance company's lower rate (than the normal public rate)?

I am 62 and have pre existing conditions...

Thank you!

Note I spoke to a Thai insurance broker in the past but was told that type of insurance does not exist in Thailand.

Currently I have a Bangkok hospital plan where with their hospitals I get a discounted rate on their platinum plan. So let say I pay 50% of the room rate half is discounted and half I pay out of pocket. So sort of a middle path plan...

On 8/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, jerrymahoney said:

Your wife is always with you when you end up at the hospital planned or not-planned?

Errrrr yep  - you think the hospital lies in wait for single falangs ? - then quickly get out their single falang spreadsheet ? lol. 

Actually no once I had an eye infection pre wife days so went alone - all morning in hospital, full eye examination, consultant called in on a day off as it looked nastier than it turned out to be, an arm full of meds to take away - around 1,500 baht I think it was. Expensive ?

9 minutes ago, SteveBull said:

you think the hospital lies in wait for single falangs

Not in my experience. I just had a procedure 2 weeks ago  at a hospital where the package price was on their website in Thai language. But that's what I got  -- except as a farang I had to pay for the PCR which is free for Thais.

All this while my wife was out of town.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1