Phuket Tourist Police warns about rental of motor vehicles without proper licenses

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Phuket – The Phuket Tourist Police has issued a warning about rental vehicles without a proper driving license.

The warning states, “The owner or driver of a motor vehicle who lets anyone without a proper driving license to drive a vehicle will be fined not exceeding 2,000 baht.”

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/08/21/phuket-tourist-police-warns-about-rental-of-motor-vehicles-without-proper-licenses/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-08-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The warning states, “The owner or driver of a motor vehicle who lets anyone without a proper driving license to drive a vehicle will be fined not exceeding 2,000 baht.”

“The driver (Renter) without a valid driver’s license shall be imprisoned not exceeding 1 month.” 

So the [Thai] owner who knowingly rents the vehicle to an unlicensed driver pays a small fine and continues to run his business, while the [foreign] rider goes to jail. Makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

See, once again the sad brigade of "Thailand is so bad to me" is out in force in the morning. All 3 first comments are talking about how unfair it all is. Are you people allowed to drive without a license in your home country, or does the laws say that you can in any other country?

Besides that, where do they fleece the tourists or foreigners in this piece of news? It stands that the driver without license will get a fine of maximum 1 000 baht, while the owner will get a fine of 2 000 baht. The only thing I see here, is that they have a possibility of 1 month jail time on the driver, but not on the owner. That is a little bit unfair, but I am very sure the laws in your home countries are not all fair as well. 

So, stop complaining, have a cup of coffee, look at the sun and breath in some PM 2.5. Life is Great!

Stpid comment... In a western country first you have to get a proper education in driving a car or motorcycle before you can get a driverslicense... Here in Thailand there is no education at all for it. Besides that the police will fine you with high fines and even confisquate the vehiccles if no license. But here in Thailand how many drive without anything and no police enforcement. Only for the so called rich falangs.. I am not against enforcing the law, but first start with your own people before complaining and punishing tourist who are better drivers than the Thai. Pleae know what you are talking about. Try to rent a mototcycle in a western country without a license....

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Yet another case of bigotry, and racism within the Police force. All aimed at fleecing the tourist.

If they are serious about people driving without qualifications then may I suggest a visit to our village, and surrounding countryside. I suspect you will be lucky to find 1 Thai in 10 has a valid license, while probably 80% of the bikes are not taxed, licensed, insured, or roadworthy.

While I can see the logic in trying to stop accidents, please make it all encompassing. 

As for the rental shops being fined we all know that a little tea money each month will negate that factor.

Stop crying again of bigotry and racism...no where has it states it's going for farangs..any clown who does not like THAILND should know what to do..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blah Blah Blah 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket – The Phuket Tourist Police has issued a warning about rental vehicles without a proper driving license.

So just where and how was it issued to Tourists ?, they should force all rental companies to display the warning and hand a leaflet to renters but they will loose custom, so it will never happen, this is just a repeat of what has never been enforced and it never will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Sorry, this piece of news was not about driver education, or what level that one is on and neither how hard it is to get one. And, yes, there is small education in Thailand but far from enough. Yes, as you say, they will put high fines on you and confiscate your bike, in other countries. Still not relevant. Be happy they only ask for a drivers license instead of trying to make it wrong.

They are giving fines to Thais as well everywhere they have check points. Actually more fines to Thais than foreigners. What is wrong with pointing out the law, so foreigners in Thailand know what they are up against? You should be thankful instead, but you chose to turn it around as something bad. Maybe it´s just the need to look down on Thais and Thailand. I can read that many members here are suffering from that disease.

If not, you should really look at it from the bright side. You chose to come to Thailand, and it was not Thailand that told you to come. Therefore you should listen and respect the rules, regulations and laws of the country and how they are enforced. A person, that can´t do that, will live in misery, look for all that is wrong, blame everyone that they can.

Better to just fit in. Take a beer, relax, look at the time and find out how much you have over for more fun and interesting things in life.

Totally agree, It are only the Thai police and Government that look down on the foreigners and tourists...If you live here you as  a foreigner you understand. Thai and Thailand the best in their eyes of the world. I adjust and follow the laws as I did in my homecountry too, but here they find always a way to rip you off unfortunately and they have special laws.. Forget that the Government approves double pricing for hotels, park,and hospitals and whatsoever. In my country everybody will be treated the same, but here as we noticed at the Covid, the foreigners are discriminated and yes, that are reasons to write comments like this. Nobody is suffering who complains about any disease, It are the Thai laws that treat  you different.  

Edited by ikke1959

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Totally agree, It are only the Thai police and Government that look down on the foreigners and tourists...If you live here you as  a foreigner you understand. Thai and Thailand the best in their eyes of the world. I adjust and follow the laws as I did in my homecountry too, but here they find always a way to rip you off unfortunately and they have special laws.. Forget that the Government approves double pricing for hotels, park,and hospitals and whatsoever. In my country everybody will be treated the same, but here as we noticed at the Covid, the foreigners are discriminated and yes, that are reasons to write comments like this. Nobody is suffering who complains about any disease, It are the Thai laws that treat  you different.  

How do the Thai laws treat you different? If you have driver license, nothing broke on your vehicle and your tax sticker is right as well as you follow the Thai traffic laws. Then they will not fine. Same like in your country. Maybe different laws, but that you must accept. You are in another country.

But, please give me some examples. How does the law treat you different?

Why do you feel discriminated as a foreigner? Who has done that to you, or is it just that you are far to sensitive and take everything personally. This is still not your country, and it is a different culture. That means they say and do things different. For example, their talk is not so sophisticated, but rather blunt instead. Because of that, it does not mean they are discriminating you or think bad of you. It´s just the way they talk, write and describe things here.

Yes, I do understand, after living here around 20 years. But, on the other hand, I might just adjust better than you. As a result of that, I have a problem-free life. I take beer, relax, take a dip in the pool, read a book, take a walk and never worry. Still breathing PM 2,5, though. ???? n

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

How do the Thai laws treat you different? If you have driver license, nothing broke on your vehicle and your tax sticker is right as well as you follow the Thai traffic laws. Then they will not fine. Same like in your country. Maybe different laws, but that you must accept. You are in another country.

But, please give me some examples. How does the law treat you different?

Why do you feel discriminated as a foreigner? Who has done that to you, or is it just that you are far to sensitive and take everything personally. This is still not your country, and it is a different culture. That means they say and do things different. For example, their talk is not so sophisticated, but rather blunt instead. Because of that, it does not mean they are discriminating you or think bad of you. It´s just the way they talk, write and describe things here.

Yes, I do understand, after living here around 20 years. But, on the other hand, I might just adjust better than you. As a result of that, I have a problem-free life. I take beer, relax, take a dip in the pool, read a book, take a walk and never worry. Still breathing PM 2,5, though. ???? n

How difficult it was to get a Covid vaccine?? Happil my country arranged it for me. 

Ever went to a park where you have to pay 10 times entrance fee than your partner?? 

POlicemen asking for money at the Makro?

and so on.. you will have examples too 

and yes I am still happy I don't need to drink beer, w ewalk we enjoy, and I like talk in general speech not for me in person, but for the good of everyone 

But matter who if you’re stopped .. and polite if everything is in order most the time won’t get fined. I’ve probably had 1/2 a dozen ticket fines in 6 years ….. all but one was my negligence… .. Maybe in Phuket and other tourist area the number of Farangs ticketed percentages could be higher just because there a more Farangs. Out here in the sticks I never see more than 5 Farangs IWhen in town.

i usually wear a helmet when I go in town… one time I didn’t and some Thai guys eating lunch yelled and motioned that there was a helmet stop ahead..  so I turned around and went the other way… if they hated Farangs they wouldn’t have said anything… 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

How difficult it was to get a Covid vaccine?? Happil my country arranged it for me. 

Ever went to a park where you have to pay 10 times entrance fee than your partner?? 

POlicemen asking for money at the Makro?

and so on.. you will have examples too 

and yes I am still happy I don't need to drink beer, w ewalk we enjoy, and I like talk in general speech not for me in person, but for the good of everyone 

Difficult to get covid vaccine????? I have got 4 shots for free. Didn´t even have to ask. They come to me and told me that it was time. I guess you are the most unlucky person on the planet. Maybe you have the right to complain.

Go to park and pay 10 times the fee for a Thai person. You really know how to exaggerate. Sure, we might on occasion pay more in entrance fee, not 10 times though, but you can see it in a great perspective. Maybe they actually made this for foreigners. As a Thai, they already seen much and know their culture. Maybe it´s not out of same value for a Thai person. Also, it´s great that everyone that brings our spouses and children with us, not get fleeced. It´s very cheap to pay their entrance fee.

Police asking for money at Makro? I know that pot is legal know, but you must be on a whole new level. What happened? Did you try to buy to many kilo of cheese, so they though you would take work from a Thai be selling it further on?

Actually, you have shown me nothing concrete, over exaggerate and talking about police hustling at Makro. Really? I think you can do much better. Please try again. And you are still happy after all these problems? That´s really amazing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Difficult to get covid vaccine????? I have got 4 shots for free. Didn´t even have to ask. They come to me and told me that it was time. I guess you are the most unlucky person on the planet. Maybe you have the right to complain.

Go to park and pay 10 times the fee for a Thai person. You really know how to exaggerate. Sure, we might on occasion pay more in entrance fee, not 10 times though, but you can see it in a great perspective. Maybe they actually made this for foreigners. As a Thai, they already seen much and know their culture. Maybe it´s not out of same value for a Thai person. Also, it´s great that everyone that brings our spouses and children with us, not get fleeced. It´s very cheap to pay their entrance fee.

Police asking for money at Makro? I know that pot is legal know, but you must be on a whole new level. What happened? Did you try to buy to many kilo of cheese, so they though you would take work from a Thai be selling it further on?

Actually, you have shown me nothing concrete, over exaggerate and talking about police hustling at Makro. Really? I think you can do much better. Please try again. And you are still happy after all these problems? That´s really amazing!

Good to hear you are happy and don't have experiences like me... have fun

• Haha 1