Path to a Permanent Residency?

The immigration laws can be a bit challenging to understand sometimes. 

Is it still possible for a foreign spouse to apply for/get registered in the "yellow book" ?? This is supposed to be the farang version of the "blue book" for Thai citizens. 

I'm over 50 & my Thai husband is over 60. We're newlyweds, there will be no children between us. He has a son from a baby momma & not friendly. 

My biggest concern is that he might pass over before I do & I'd suddenly find myself a widow being deported. 

I've been unable to locate the immigration laws that I had read online a number of years ago. But it seemed that after 3 consecutive marriage visas, the spouse could apply for the "yellow book" & once approved, they could not be forced to leave if widowed, that instead there would be a "widows certificate" that could be used to continue the marriage visas. 

Alternately, could I apply for a Thai passport after 5 to 8 years of marriage that would be a doorway to dual citizenship?? 

Just wondering if I should even consider the marriage visa option or just go with a retirement visa. But retirement visa doesn't lead to a "yellow book" or dual citizenship. 

TIA 

SunnyJ, welcome.

There is an extensive thread about  permanent residency on this forum. Perhaps even too extensive, but by browsing the latest posts you could find useful info.

My personal take is that there are too many hurdles to pass, and that a retirement visa based on your own finances is an easier options if possible. There are of course some benefits in the PR, but not worthy the hassle IMO.

• Like 2

The above posters are very helpful. 

Retirement extensions of stay are your only realistic option.

I understand residency also requires fluency in spoken and written Thai. Challenging in itself, especially to an aging mind like mine! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

The above posters are very helpful. 

Retirement extensions of stay are your only realistic option.

I understand residency also requires fluency in spoken and written Thai. Challenging in itself, especially to an aging mind like mine! 

Not fluency. Just be able to understand and converse in a reasonable manner, which someone married to a Thai could conquer in a couple of years.

While PR might be a waste of time for you (it's expensive), being married to a Thai, you could pursue Thai citizenship instead. It's much cheaper and has more or less same conditions as a PR. Now, for that you will have to have a job, get reasonable income, and pay taxes. You'll also need to learn Thai, have good personality, etc. Being married to a Thai you won't have have sing the anthems.

In your case, if you intend to stay here permanently, I would check that path. PR is not practical for you as it achieves less than citizenship, costs more, and isn't any easier to get. PR is a way towards staying visa-free, entered into blue book, without need of any reporting, without need to bring funds from abroad to buy a property - for those who are not married to a Thai.

you have not mentioned whether you own or rent property .  Is your husband retired ,working and /or have financial means to support you adequately if you were left on your own . Your financial status may affect a proposal to alleviate your situation of being forced to leave .  

If you own property ,put in joint names ,  put necessary money in the bank for a retirement visa then your husband makes a Will and leaves all to you .  

Though you asked about PR, as others have said, a foreign woman married to a Thai husband can apply after three years of marriage. All those married to Thai's can effectively skip PR and go straight for citizenship, though there are different rules surrounding foreign husbands vs foreign wives married to Thai spouses

There is a very informative blog on this.

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-based-on-marriage-to-a-thai-husband/

There is also a related facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2116997095087609/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kiwiaussie said:

Though you asked about PR, as others have said, a foreign woman married to a Thai husband can apply after three years of marriage. All those married to Thai's can effectively skip PR and go straight for citizenship, though there are different rules surrounding foreign husbands vs foreign wives married to Thai spouses

What is the success rate for those applicants? What happens if after getting the citizenship, there is a divorce?