What if a tourist is tested positive in Thailand now ?

thairookie

The regulations have changed so fast that I'm unable to keep up what's the latest.

I plan to visit Thailand soon, and I'm happy the visa exemption has now been extended to 45 days.  Arriving in Thailand does not seem to be a problem now.  It's leaving Thailand that I'm not so sure.

As I'm required to take a remote ART test before leaving Thailand, what happens if I'm tested positive ?  I will miss my flight for sure, but will the Thai government force me into one of those expensive hotels to be quarantined ?

If you live in Thailand, do you need to be quarantined if tested positive for COVID ?

Thanks.

• Confused 1

There is no check on  leaving Thailand, unless your onward country has a requirement to show covid CPR result. I don't know many places apart from HK and China that require predeparture PCR but most countries have abandoned all requirements and with rare exception may have some requirement to enter if you are non vaccinated. Check your onward destination and that will answer your query but no check to leave.

1 hour ago, thairookie said:

I plan to visit Thailand soon, and I'm happy the visa exemption has now been extended to 45 days. 

Just a reminder.

If "soon" means from October then correct (October to March).

And as far as I know the final seal/signature for the new rule has not been attached.

(though unlikely it won't come)

The requirement to take a lateral flow test (ART / ATK - all the same thing) are individually dependant on the Airline or country of transit / destination. 

The vast majority of countries / airlines have abolished all requirements for testing (for vaccinated travellers). 

Thus: First double check the testing requirements if any. 

Then, IF tests are required, find out if an official test is required or simply proof of a home test. 

IF a home test (i.e. at a hotel) just extend your stay and isolate for a week or whatever is required. 

IF a ‘clinic’ test you will likely be told to isolate at home or hotel, extend your stay until testing positive. 

You may be able to change your flight free of charge. 

You may wish to get travel insurance which covers you for any Covid related delays / extensions for isolation. 

As I understand it, Thailand no longer has any ‘state isolation requirements’ but does ask that those testing positive isolate at home or their accommodation. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The requirement to take a lateral flow test (ART / ATK - all the same thing) are individually dependant on the Airline or country of transit / destination. 

The vast majority of countries / airlines have abolished all requirements for testing (for vaccinated travellers). 

Thus: First double check the testing requirements if any. 

Then, IF tests are required, find out if an official test is required or simply proof of a home test. 

IF a home test (i.e. at a hotel) just extend your stay and isolate for a week or whatever is required. 

IF a ‘clinic’ test you will likely be told to isolate at home or hotel, extend your stay until testing positive. 

You may be able to change your flight free of charge. 

You may wish to get travel insurance which covers you for any Covid related delays / extensions for isolation. 

As I understand it, Thailand no longer has any ‘state isolation requirements’ but does ask that those testing positive isolate at home or their accommodation. 

Close. If you get a positive rat you ate required to take a pcr at your own expense to confirm the result. When that comes back you are required to self isolate somewhere suitable if you cant you will be required to isolate, again at your own expense, at a suitable government location 

All this is quite easily found on the Thai govt ministry of health website.

Of course rhis is what you are officially supposed to do. What actually happens is up to the individual in question.