living aboard in the islands

1FinickyOne

4 hours ago, PJ71 said:

If he can afford this type of boat i don't know why he wouldn't just go to islands and stay in nice hotels for his travels, way less hassle.

"i don't know why he wouldn't just ... stay in nice hotels..."

Probably because that wouldn't constitute living on a boat!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You don't miss a thing do you....

Sharp as a bowling ball.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You don't miss a thing do you....

Sharp as a bowling ball.

"Sharp as a bowling ball".

Don't be so hard on yourself.

• Confused 1

OP, that's definitely doable, but there is not too much info in your post. As far as I know there are no security issues, there are people keeping sailboats at Samui's bays without living there, haven't heard of any issues.

Moving from the west to the east coast of Thailand is a bit of issue, as the trip is a few thousand kilometres.

There is marina in Phuket and I believe also in Pattaya. From what I heard relatively cheap place to fix liveaboard sailboats is around Satun.

All normal visa requirements would apply.

noonsite.com would have some recent post and feedback from cruisers visiting Thailand. Also check cruiserforum.com.

That's my tentative long term plan as well,  but not necessarily around Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He didn't say that he was going to be on a "sailboat" [sic], but since when do sailboats have problems with fuel leaks, petrol and engines?

a liitle tough to maneuver around harbors then. May even be required for entry. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Running costs on a sailing boat would be ZERO.

You can forget about that.

running costs
uk/ˈrʌn.ɪŋ ˌkɒsts/ us/ˈrʌn.ɪŋ ˌkɑːsts/
NOUN [ PLURAL ]
  1. the money you need to spend regularly to keep a system or organization working
  2. the money you need to spend in order to keep and use a vehicle
Edited by FritsSikkink

19 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Well, I am asking so that wise folk on the subject can pass along information as to the dangers... which I can pass along to him... he is not your typical guy... fearless to the point of maybe having a death wish... you have an extra bedroom or not?

This is not the place to get proper information unless you find the one random boater with experience.  Otherwise your getting opinions and wild ass guesses.. If he's had boats before he should know how and where to get proper information.  Try a marina and talk to a Harbor Master if you want valid info.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, degrub said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He didn't say that he was going to be on a "sailboat" [sic], but since when do sailboats have problems with fuel leaks, petrol and engines?

a liitle tough to maneuver around harbors then. May even be required for entry. 

Sailboats are boats propelled by the use of sails (yachts with engines are motor yachts) and owners of non-powered sailboats are not incapable of manoeuvering them.  Sailboats are not required to have engines for entry, if they were, there'd be no such thing as sailboats.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1