burning of garbage, polystyrene, plastic, etc.

Charly2008

as all expats know the air quality in CNX is many times poor and unfortunately the days with good air and low PM 2.5 reading are getting less year by year.

I am just wondering how is the legal side of burning the garbage day by day. It is kind a understandable that people burn their leaves and branches in their back yards, it is smoking and rising the PM 2.5 but somehow it is the nature cycle and the old generation is used to it. I can somehow go with that, but we have in the near neighborhood a house they seen to work for construction and they burn on a regular basis polystyrene, plastic, tires, saw them once to poor color into fire etc., no need to mention how it smokes and even worse how it smells, real toxic from time to time.

several times I did drive there and tried to explain them, but as it is sometimes, the guy who is running it, is resistant and doing it again and again. Missus has troubles with doing something against it since it is not nice.

Any suggestions what to do, how to respond, what can I do as a foreigner without making it worse??

Perhaps we are not the only once facing this problem and others can get ideas as well.

Again we not complain about the bbq smoke, wood fire or smoking green leaves which don't burn at all.    

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

On average 70 nuclear bombs are exploded on the earth every year since 1945. Why worry about someone burning rubbish?   deadhorsebig

Were they exploded close to you? Do you glow in the dark?

'cause when they burn rubbish they do it not far from our condo and we have to rush and close all windows.

Nobody else it telling them! Basically I think it is better to talk first instead of reporting immediately to the authorities and I haven't been aware that the responsibility is at the Tessaban or puu yai bann, but now I know, thanks.

Our problem is that they light the fire every day at dusk, this is the time when it starts to cool down and it would be nice to enjoy the dinner outside, but due to the toxic smell it is just impossible.

cheers

5 hours ago, Charly2008 said:

Missus has troubles with doing something against it since it is not nice

Unfortunately, she is right. This is Thailand and sooner or later we learn to do it the Thai way, which sometimes is orthogonal to the way we were brought up.

Your best option is probably to report to some local authority, especially if you can document that they are burning toxic.

btw, I disagree -respectfully- with your opening statement. My experience is that the air quality has been improving, not decreasing, in the past couple of years - or so my PM2.5 detector leads me to believe.