Bangkok gets tough with motorcyclists riding or parking on pavements

snoop1130

8 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Weird sounding headline, in the US we don't call the sidewalks pavements, that's mostly what we call roads and parking lots. Technically anything that's paved can be called a pavement. But then the sidewalks in Bangkok are made of ceramic tiles, so what's up with that? They just finished replacing a whole lot of them all along Ratchaprarop and nearby streets. You can see those tiles in the photo. 

This is Thailand, not the US.   It's your problem if you don't understand proper English!

Bangkok's pavements are not constructed using ceramic tiles, they're what most places have in the bathroom!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, vandeventer said:

If you really want to hurt them take their bikes away for a month or two so they have to catch the bus to work. What a <deleted>- off that would be.

A fine of 2000 bht should be levied for good measure, to get the bike back

On 9/1/2022 at 4:07 AM, smedly said:

major city with no forward planning for capacity, if only they could do it all over again..........................to late

all the roads and city streets should have been at least x2 the width - Bangkok has become a horrible place to drive even on a motorbike, it didn't need to be that way if there was a bit of sensible thought and planning from the start, but no - they know best............seems they don't

About 15 years ago I was chatting with the Senior English Language Teacher at the local secondary school. I was explaining to her that my wife's family were building accommodation for some farm animals and on one day they built an internal wall and on the next day they planned to work on the far side of the wall but they hadn't left an aperture in the wall so that you could pass through to the other side.

She explained that there was no phrase in the Thai language that meant forward planning because, I suppose, the Thais don't need it!

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Most taxis "guzzle" LPG/NGV, not petrol.

When I wrote that humous bit I guessed someone would make that distinction. I should have known that would be you!  Sad!

You thought that it was "humous" [sic]?   It wasn't; wasn't humourous, either.  Sad.

Off topic posts and replies regarding the mass transit systems in the US have been removed.

Some posts with vulgar slang troll comments and replies have been removed.

Some off topic posts bickering about the meaning of pavements and sidewalks have been removed.  More posts in that nature will be removed as they appear. 

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You thought that it was "humous" [sic]?   It wasn't; wasn't humourous, either.  Sad.

I guess a pedant is also most likely to be the spelling police. 

You usually just use the "sad" emoji on many of my posts, you probably didn't realize I was using sarcasm when I spelt it for you.

I do remember you from your days in Phuket despite your frequent changes of niks.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1