Bangkok gets tough with motorcyclists riding or parking on pavements

snoop1130

Have seen this headline so many times it's getting boring ! 

I recall a few years ago that the local government was offering a "bounty" to those that sent photos that could identify offenders, but the offer was withdrawn after a month because there were too many to process.

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Where have I heard this before?

Yes, from previous Bangkok government. Those incompetent councillors in BMA has been voted out and a more progressive team has the majority. Also a new sheriff in town and governor Chadchart is the right man to implement stricter and better rules and policies. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I suggest at least half the drivers who are now every day in their cars alone should switch to motorcycles. Then there would be less cars and more bikes but all together they would fit a lot better on the existing streets. Win/win.

As I recall, a certain pm bribed the indigenous to buy cars in place of motorbikes, with massive tax breaks.....with entirely predictable results!

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You Americans would get really confused if you knew much of the world calls them footpaths.

Motorbikes belong on the road with the petrol guzzling taxis (you know petroleum is a liquid, not a gas don't you?), where they are at risk of getting hit by a car bonnet and ending up on the boot.

You know that taxis do run on gas, not petrol, don’t you ?

But I do agree with your sentiments about motorbikes on the road ...and Americans ! ????

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is getting tough with motorcyclists who either ride or park on the capital’s pavements, with fines of up to 5,000 baht

Again, again, again and again....when will they realise Fines don't work... 

Impound the bike for a month and charge a storage fee.

That might wake a few people up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vandeventer said:

If you really want to hurt them take their bikes away for a month or two so they have to catch the bus to work. What a <deleted>- off that would be.

take them away permanent..short sharp shock...but won't happen. Same old Same old

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does it really matter?

Because even if they have number plates, you can't take away the license of someone who has no license. 

You cant record a number plate on the CCTV (assuming they work which is unlikely) if they dont have a number plate. As for the rider agreed you cant take what they dont have but you can take the bike and send it to the crushers.

3 minutes ago, Khun Roberto said:

BKK has almost no consideration for wheelchair users. Indeed often the barriers for motorcycles impede wheelchairs. The first step towards making BKK more wheelchair friendly is stopping motorcycles on pedestrian walkways. 

And is there anybody out there who wants to make Bangkok wheelchair friendly?

I mean, yes, I understand the concept and I am sure people with wheelchairs would appreciate this. But do you realistically think that will realistically happen in the foreseeable future?

Many people would be already happy if there wouldn't be any huge holes and obstacles on footpaths - and not only 100m in front of an expensive shopping mall.

It's similar to suggesting high speed trains everywhere in Thailand. Yes, theoretically it should be possible. Maybe in 100 years if enough people care.

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But do you realistically think that will realistically happen in the foreseeable future?

It happened in Mexico City, which in many ways is a comparable metropolis, so yes, it could happen. If it's framed as helping older folk, with walkers and wheelchairs lots of Thais will sign on. 

To me, it’s somewhat like drinking/driving issue… i would - at first offense - issue a spot fine.. say B200… if unable to pay, bike is seized as collateral..

on 2nd and 3rd offenses within 180 days of any prior offense, the bike is now subject to mandatory impounding for 3 then 7 days with impound fees payable plus an increasing fine.  On 4th office the bike is subject to seizure and forfeiture by the state. 

If you demonstrate a consistent pattern that you are unwilling to use said bike legally and by acting illegally you endanger others (ie pedestrians on the footpath/sidewalk) then i think it’s incumbent on the State to take it away as a means of protecting the public from a person whose demonstrated their unwillingness to exercise caution and/or comply with law.