Transfer car ownership from foreigner to Thai national

Maxsm

Im not sure if anyone had experience transferring car blue book or selling car in Thailand while being overseas?

I left Thailand few months back in a hurry due to last minute job transfer, so my car is left there.

I want to transfer it to Thai national, to be the new owner of the vehicle. 

Blue book is already with them and doccuments and forms I can sign and mail by courrier to TH no issue there.

I remember it was required to have copy of visa and work permit, both of which I no longer have since I'm no longer working there...

Would transfer be possible, or would I need to fly on a tourist visa to Thailand and do a transfer there in person?

I was hoping to avoid that...although knowing local bureaucracy it seems likely :)

I have just done this, but not from abroad.

I had to sign a form from the transport Office / Vehicle License Office, then the Thai National also has to countersign the same form.

That’s all I had to do.

The Thai National then took the car to the Vehicle License Office where the car was examined and an estimate made on the value of the car.

You pay 600THB for every 100 000 THB of the car’s worth.

so my car was valued at 150,000, and the Thai National therefore paid 855 THB, then a further 50 THB admin fee. That’s it

• Like 1

You sign:

- Power of Attorney form to give the new owner authority to transfer the vehicle without your presence. 

- Transfer of Vehicle Form (singed proof of transfer)

- Signed copy of your Passport as proof of ID.

(To sell a vehicle you do not need proof of address or Visa )

The new owner does everything else. 

Forms in the thread linked below:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1147974-power-of-attorney-to-sell-car/

How to fill out the power of attorney form in the thread linked below: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/928104-how-exactly-do-you-fill-in-the-power-of-attorney-form-for-transferring-a-motorcycle-or-car/

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, DrJoy said:

The Thai person should visit his/her nearest DLT and ask about the required documents.

OR...  the new owner can take the following:

- Signed power of Attorney form

- Signed transfer of ownership form

- Signed Copy of Passport (of seller)

And ‘probably / possibly’ avoid having to go back to the DLT a second time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You sign:

- Power of Attorney form to give the new owner authority to transfer the vehicle without your presence. 

- Transfer of Vehicle Form (singed proof of transfer)

- Signed copy of your Passport as proof of ID.

(To sell a vehicle you do not need proof of address or Visa )

The new owner does everything else. 

Forms in the thread linked below:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1147974-power-of-attorney-to-sell-car/

How to fill out the power of attorney form in the thread linked below: 

https://aseannow.com/topic/928104-how-exactly-do-you-fill-in-the-power-of-attorney-form-for-transferring-a-motorcycle-or-car/

That is not at all possible in Phuket , there you the seller must provide a signed copy of there current visa , if they have left the country and the visa has expired then absolutely they will not transfer to the new owner.     

I have had this happen to me twice , once a few years,  i bought a Fortuner from a British national who had a holiday home here but lived in Hong Kong. He sold me his car and i did in fact have all the correct signed papers , Department of transport two forms being the POA and the transfer form both signed , copy of the sellers passport and visa . The problem i had his 30 day visa on arrival had expired by the time i got around to transferring it into my name and there was no chance of them doing the transfer. I tried everything but came up against a brick wall , they insisted he must come back to Thailand with a current visa. Then last year i bought a house from people from Norway who had left the country 2 years previously , the house came with there Toyota Avensis  , i sent all the forms to them in Norway and they sent everything back with signed passport , but because there last visa to Thailand had expired again the DOT would not do the transfer insisting the owner of the car return to Thailand with a current visa stamp .

• Sad 1

On 9/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thanks, we will give it a try, if not will need to plan a trip to Thailand soon ????

On 9/1/2022 at 9:34 PM, Brick Top said:

That is not at all possible in Phuket , there you the seller must provide a signed copy of there current visa , if they have left the country and the visa has expired then absolutely they will not transfer to the new owner.     

I have had this happen to me twice , once a few years,  i bought a Fortuner from a British national who had a holiday home here but lived in Hong Kong. He sold me his car and i did in fact have all the correct signed papers , Department of transport two forms being the POA and the transfer form both signed , copy of the sellers passport and visa . The problem i had his 30 day visa on arrival had expired by the time i got around to transferring it into my name and there was no chance of them doing the transfer. I tried everything but came up against a brick wall , they insisted he must come back to Thailand with a current visa. Then last year i bought a house from people from Norway who had left the country 2 years previously , the house came with there Toyota Avensis  , i sent all the forms to them in Norway and they sent everything back with signed passport , but because there last visa to Thailand had expired again the DOT would not do the transfer insisting the owner of the car return to Thailand with a current visa stamp .

In this case some DLT’s require a signed copy of the passport showing the 'exit stamp’... ]

You may have had someone who ‘doesn’t know’ and they turned their response into a ‘cannot’...  

27 minutes ago, Maxsm said:
On 9/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thanks, we will give it a try, if not will need to plan a trip to Thailand soon ????

As mentioned above... some DLT’s may want to see the ‘visa stamp’... 

Thus: the new owner can take the following:

***Signed Copy of Exit Stamp (in passport of seller).

***Don’t offer this unless asked for it as some DLT’s do not require it and it will just confuse the issue.