Bike-Lift Surgery For An Aging Honda

AddyA

Ayup, Chiang Mai.

Has anyone here ever had an old bike reconditioned in Chiang Mai? My little Honda is an OAP now, and its gaskets, seals, etc., need replacing. I'm considering getting a complete bike-lift if I can find a suitable garage. It still runs well, and it's only for sentimental reasons that I don't want to get rid of it. Some of you will understand, while others may think I'm nuts. But it's been a constant in my life for 17 years, and the little beauty has never let me down mechanically in all that time.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I know that feeling.

Is it a Honda Wave ?

Nat Motors close to Maya shopping centre is good - I have bought 2 bikes from them, my PCX and CRF

A full rebuild of the engine and transmission will be cheap, add a new carb, ignition and that takes care of the motive power.

New brakes, wheels, tires, plastics if you need them not expensive.

Good Luck with your faithful companion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seedy said:

I know that feeling.

Is it a Honda Wave ?

Nat Motors close to Maya shopping centre is good - I have bought 2 bikes from them, my PCX and CRF

A full rebuild of the engine and transmission will be cheap, add a new carb, ignition and that takes care of the motive power.

New brakes, wheels, tires, plastics if you need them not expensive.

Good Luck with your faithful companion

Great response, thank you, Seedy.

I know that shop. I thought it was just a sales & service center. I had no idea they also do what you said. And they're official Honda dealers, so they'll know what they’re doing. If memory serves me right, English is quite scarce, and my Thai isn't good enough to explain everything I want. I'll probably get a translator or prepare a list in Thai and get a quote.

And yes, you guessed right, it's a good ol' Honda Wave 125cc, and still going strong after 17 years ????

basically rebuilt my asian mule aka honda dream - new sprocket-chain--new piston--new carburetor..new seat--  plugs, oil..tires..battery, tachometer cable....my guy is even putting in a new carb for free as the first one he put in was a bit iffy.....picking it up to tomorrow....

I am in the process of doing a rebuild on my Honda Dream 100.

I bought the bike new in 2001 and in recent years I have kept it only because I was curious as to exactly how long it would run without work on the engine.

I now have my answer.  After 217,000 km a main bearing failed.  I find this longevity from a cheap, small, air cooled single cylinder pretty remarkable and it is one of the reasons why I am a big Honda fan.  It did not actually break down and it never has in 21 years but when the bearing failed vibration increased markedly.

I am doing the rebuild myself and my guess, based on previous experience, is that the rebuild will cost 3K or so and certainly less than 5K.

After that it will be good to go for another twenty years.

Another thing I find remarkable is parts availability on these old Hondas.  Back in 2017 I went to the local main dealer to check availability on a complete set of new bodywork.  I thought it was a long shot given the age of the bike but my enquiry was met by a question as to what colour I would like.  From memory the bodywork cost about 2.5K.

9 hours ago, AddyA said:

Great response, thank you, Seedy.
I know that shop. I thought it was just a sales & service center. I had no idea they also do what you said. And they're official Honda dealers, so they'll know what they’re doing. If memory serves me right, English is quite scarce, and my Thai isn't good enough to explain everything I want. I'll probably get a translator or prepare a list in Thai and get a quote.

The owner - he is the older gentleman who is at the front of the service bay and handles the preparation of the work orders, has passable English.

But - as always - a good Thai speaker makes everyone feel comfortable.

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

basically rebuilt my asian mule aka honda dream - new sprocket-chain--new piston--new carburetor..new seat--  plugs, oil..tires..battery, tachometer cable....my guy is even putting in a new carb for free as the first one he put in was a bit iffy.....picking it up to tomorrow....

The shop mentioned above, SRBs?

1 hour ago, seedy said:

The owner - he is the older gentleman who is at the front of the service bay and handles the preparation of the work orders, has passable English.

But - as always - a good Thai speaker makes everyone feel comfortable.

Thanks, Seedy. Yes, that guy is always there at the front and is super helpful. He doesn't seem to age, either.

4 hours ago, AddyA said:

Thanks, Seedy. Yes, that guy is always there at the front and is super helpful. He doesn't seem to age, either.

I hear that. Been going there for over 15 years. Runs a good business. I have never had a problem - besides they always tighten the chain on my CRF too much. Mentioned once to leave it alone on warranty service and never a problem after

55 minutes ago, seedy said:

I hear that. Been going there for over 15 years. Runs a good business. I have never had a problem - besides they always tighten the chain on my CRF too much. Mentioned once to leave it alone on warranty service and never a problem after

He's already replied to my message, Seedy. He simply said, and I quote:

"Sure, Nat motor can do all that for you."

I will head down there with my list in a week or two. I will also post a photo of the results once everything is done.

15 minutes ago, AddyA said:

He's already replied to my message, Seedy. He simply said, and I quote:

"Sure, Nat motor can do all that for you."

I will head down there with my list in a week or two. I will also post a photo of the results once everything is done.

Keep us posted.

Most important for piece of mind to ensure carb and ignition box, coil, stator replaced with NEW. Replace wiring harness also if possible to get one without soy bean insulation.

Then you good for another 20 years

6 hours ago, seedy said:

Keep us posted.

Most important for piece of mind to ensure carb and ignition box, coil, stator replaced with NEW. Replace wiring harness also if possible to get one without soy bean insulation.

Then you good for another 20 years

Thanks, Seedy, all points noted. That should be fun trying to translate the above suggestions into Thai ????

I've gone to both Nat Motor and Sahapanich (just North of super highway khuang singh intersection).  Good service at both shops on my Honda Click. I saw the guys disasembling older bikes down to skeletons at both shops.  I prefer sahapanich now because the scheduling is more convenient for me.  From what I could see, the garage at sahapanich had more workstations, so I'm guessing they can process more customers in parallel.  The service manager was friendly and spoke decent English.  He also notified me of a factory recall on a fuel injection part and replaced it for free when he could have sold me the new part to fix my original problem.  

I don't expect my Click to last 20 years or 200,000km though.  I should get a Wave to survive the apocalypse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AddyA said:

Thanks, Seedy, all points noted. That should be fun trying to translate the above suggestions into Thai ????

Just take off the cover for the stator. Point to it and say New. Along with all the other parts you wish replaced.

10 hours ago, captainjackS said:

I've gone to both Nat Motor and Sahapanich (just North of super highway khuang singh intersection).  Good service at both shops on my Honda Click. I saw the guys disasembling older bikes down to skeletons at both shops.  I prefer sahapanich now because the scheduling is more convenient for me.  From what I could see, the garage at sahapanich had more workstations, so I'm guessing they can process more customers in parallel.  The service manager was friendly and spoke decent English.  He also notified me of a factory recall on a fuel injection part and replaced it for free when he could have sold me the new part to fix my original problem.  

I don't expect my Click to last 20 years or 200,000km though.  I should get a Wave to survive the apocalypse.

Thanks, CJS, that's useful to know. I've committed to Nat now, not least because I know the shop, and they're a official Honda dealer. But it's always good to have other recommendations to fall back on ;)

9 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

kruang jak dee        west side of old city

he gets his kid to translate apart from his basic english.....

just picked up the bike today--running like a ............Dream....Honda that is....

Thank you, SRBs ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seedy said:

Just take off the cover for the stator. Point to it and say New. Along with all the other parts you wish replaced.

Thanks, Seedy. I'm going to get translations for all my parts and those you mention over the next couple of days ????

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pics for those of you who are interested.

Nat Motors did a fantastic job, but it cost more than I'd initially planned. That's because I kept suggesting we swap even more new parts. Anyway, the engine seems to have a bit more torque than before. The fuel economy seems better as well.

I reckon this ol' gal will be around long after I pop my socks.

First, here's how she looked at the start of the tart-up 

Honda-Wave-Cleaning-In-Progress1.thumb.png.4dd70927e18e87963a23029526a7a166.png

Honda-Wave-Cleaning-In-Progress2.thumb.png.06b49df9fafd07c8a0c9ed42a2a3883b.png

Honda-Wave-Cleaning-In-Progress3.thumb.png.7f6e0645a11b0db6bd4ce09037c31cf1.png

And here is how my revamped 17-year-old Honda Wave looks now.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Edited by AddyA
Added new photos.
  • Like 1