Is Cambodia any safer for tourists in 2022 compared to 10-15 years ago?

jingjai9

I enjoyed the forum discussion entitled: Cambodia vs. Vietnam. I was wondering if any of you can comment on how safe Cambodia is for tourists, in 2022. For example I read and heard purse snatching is a usual activity in the cities.

In the past I have read on multiple forums that you should not embark on the nightlife alone in PP as it is not unusual to be held up. I also read there was a significant number of guns in the country. Additionally several forums mentioned that you should make sure you ride on a Tuk Tuk with a driver who works near your hotel who the staff know as there are many tourists who ride on the Tuk Tuks where the driver sets them up for robbery by taking them on a route where they "accidentally" get held up. I also read on various forums that some of the young  adult men, wealthier Cambodians who have connections, brandish weapons and harass tourists in order to break their boredom in the wee hours of the morning at such bars as "Heart of Darkness." 

I sure hope much of this is no longer true. When I was in Cambodia in 2005 the bars were open 24 hours a day. Is that still the same? Also when I was there I did not find any of the situations mentioned herein to be blatantly false. 

On the positive side, Sihanoukville was still a quaint town in 2005. I did not see any beggars and I felt safe regardless of what hour it was.

I was not a victim of any crime other than perhaps overcharging.