Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Young German Man Displays Anti-Prawit Photo In Rayong

webfact

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think she is probably proud of him. 

Rather have a husband who fights for what he believes in than a subservient one, living scared. 

Well, get out there then man, no point in lecturing all of us "who are living in fear", as you have stated. I'll be keeping an eye out in the media for you.

• Thanks 1

He has Thai family and may have lived here for a long time. Might have a work permit and pay taxes here. Has perhaps been annoyed by some injustices, xenophobia or obvious corruption for a long time. Maybe he has nothing left to lose and doesn't care if he gets kicked out of the country or not. He has expressed his opinions peacefully and has not committed any crime legally.

I think he knew in advance that his action might have consequences.

The way to live problem-free in Thailand is to blend in,  have a low profile, pay your bills and be compliant. Appropriate cowardice is rewarded in Thailand as long as you have money.

Many foreigners here have also had a toad or two to eat. For some, the anger then breaks out openly, others eat it up and get stomach ulcers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

cowardice is not the right tranlated word. It has a negative connotation. The image is a mouse that hides, conceals, but is clever in its adaptation to the environment.

Ninja would be a more appropriate word....

19 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

You do not have the same rights, and never will, as a native-born Thai.  But more importantly, Thai people will never accept you as a Thai--even if they treat you as one for legal purposes.

Now, supposing the German of our story has obtained Thai citizenship--how would that affect people's perception or treatment of him now?

What people? The people on this thread or Thais? 

It doesn’t change my perception because Mr Pumpkin never took the time to talk to older folks and get to know the general and local culture of the people whose families have for the most part been in their local region for 2000 years. If he took the time I’m sure he wouldn’t have done this. We gain no insight being presumptuous about any culture that differs from our own. 
So many blow in the country and never take the time, even after many years. 

And what does her village and family think? I’m pretty sure it’s  ควาย!

Next time you hear a Thai say’s that foreigners are “funny” take a moment and think what might really be behind that statement  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

He has Thai family and may have lived here for a long time. Might have a work permit and pay taxes here. Has perhaps been annoyed by some injustices, xenophobia or obvious corruption for a long time. Maybe he has nothing left to lose and doesn't care if he gets kicked out of the country or not. He has expressed his opinions peacefully and has not committed any crime legally.

I think he knew in advance that his action might have consequences.

The way to live problem-free in Thailand is to blend in,  have a low profile, pay your bills and be compliant. Appropriate cowardice is rewarded in Thailand as long as you have money.

Many foreigners here have also had a toad or two to eat. For some, the anger then breaks out openly, others eat it up and get stomach ulcers.

Being under pressure is where one’s character is tested. So is the argument here is that he lost his composure in a foreign land? Good grief! I sure hope I don’t lose it here 

7 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Does “Keeping out of politics and religion” extend to allowing others to opt into politics and religion ?

Only if they are Thai, after all this is their country, we farangs are guests, go look carefully at the conditions on your visa.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, novacova said:

Being under pressure is where one’s character is tested. So is the argument here is that he lost his composure in a foreign land? Good grief! I sure hope I don’t lose it here 

I hope too. 

One can get along well with 1000 people in peaceful, tolerant coexistence. And then there's the one who pushes the wrong buttons inside you, which can make you explode.

Overall, be aware that freedom of expression in Thailand is not the same as it is for example in Germany or, in extreme cases, Russia where holding up a sign that says "Peace" can get you in jail for years.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

What a Potato head ( cannot spell the German which is an insult to Germans )

A complete Prat !!!!!!!!

Perhaps you would make good company in that instance if you are correct about the man in question.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, chang1 said:

This guy is a hero standing up for Thais who can not speak out for themselves. He has more balls than 90% of posters here put together. 

If having balls means wanting to go to prison then yes I don't have them.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

And you wonder why Anutin diss's us.

We are all guests in this country, and it's incumbent on us all to set a good example.

Time for my favorite quote (source unknown); "Stop reminding me that I am a guest in this country because I assure you that I start behaving like a guest the very same day the Thais start behaving like hosts".

• Like 1

when you ask me about this, it is something you see in a lot of western countries that non western foreigner demand things in the West, like you see in the Netherlands as of today with those refugees.

They have no rights at all, they are foreigner with an unknown status and unknown nationality and they demand as if they own the country.

The television and media also support this.

Many foreigners are not aware of the local habits and laws and think they can do all they want to do and need to do so.

That make guys like him taken actions like the does.

In steady of running an way and stay in Thailand guys like him they just need to be send back to their home country and do the same over there  about their government.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Roel said:

Time for my favorite quote (source unknown); "Stop reminding me that I am a guest in this country because I assure you that I start behaving like a guest the very same day the Thais start behaving like hosts".

OMG, if I was a guest and wasn't happy with the host, I would get up and leave.

Being the guest you have this option. 

Man up

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Seriously, it baffles me why foreigners come to this beautiful place and get involved with politics

Me too. After them electing the leaders they've -ucked up with in Germany, you'd think they'd keep their opinions to themselves.  It's not our business to become involved in Thai politics and/or protest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t make my opinions on Thai Politics public because I am scared of a response which could compromise my future in Thailand and I have a family here - something is very wrong about that. 

And the forum rules here state that one cannot make any comment about the moderation here, and cannot choose a negative emoticon for one of the mods' posts.  Enforced by banishment, I suppose.  Is there a link somewhere here, politically?

2 hours ago, rwill said:

If having balls means wanting to go to prison then yes I don't have them.

Nor do I but I am not a resident. People like pumpkin are not just fighting for Thais, they are fighting for us. Thailand is on the edge of becoming a dictatorship and anyone who says they wouldn't protest or at least fully support those that do, are as guilty as those that are creating it. 

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:
9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What!? You very clearly have no concept of the world. If you believe that Thailand is the best place on Earth then you have very strange priorities.

Who are you to tell him what he should think ?

I'm not telling him to think anything. I'm saying, in my opinion which I'm as entitled to have as he is, that he has strange priorities if he believes that there is nowhere in the world better than Thailand. So far, 17 people have agreed with me, with only you, you alone, questioning that. As, like me, you are entitled to do.