Safety checks in Pattaya's once famed Walking Street show it's a disaster waiting to happen

webfact

I used to work alongside the Health and Safety Executive in the UK 40+ years ago. They would make random checks on business of all types, and if something was found dangerous, and could not be fixed immeiately, the business would be closed down, until such time as all requirements had been complied with.

With my background, I am ashamed at the Thai authorities, who only check when forced to, and then  just report their findings. All such clubs in Pattaya, and all and any other businesses in Thailand should immediately be shut down until all safety features are fully implemented

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

For whatever reason I had a dream about this same thing just last night.  

Take any club or place for example on WS,  opposite side of water typical shop house style I've not seen any fire exit signs this I think is even worse in the LK area.

That being said the whole place is a firetrap? ????

You should join Soothsayers Anon......

• Haha 1

I am surprised at many of the responses here.  WorkSafe is not an issue in Thailand.  Has anyone been to a building site here? Or watched some road workers ( while driving past at 120 mph) ? 
why would you think typical Western building regulations with regard to safety would apply here?  Unfortunately when you pay people peanuts ???? , they are treated like monkeys ????.  The value of a life is pretty low here.

Edited by G Rex

30 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I used to work alongside the Health and Safety Executive in the UK 40+ years ago. They would make random checks on business of all types, and if something was found dangerous, and could not be fixed immeiately, the business would be closed down, until such time as all requirements had been complied with.

With my background, I am ashamed at the Thai authorities, who only check when forced to, and then  just report their findings. All such clubs in Pattaya, and all and any other businesses in Thailand should immediately be shut down until all safety features are fully implemented

Obviously they missed the high rise in London with flammable cladding or was someone else’s fault?

Thailand, Buddhism believes in the next life.  I've traveled the world and agree unfortunately in some countries the value of your life is noticeably less.  That just means you have to be more accountable and way the risk versus the reward.  

Every government does theatrical things to attempt to fool and appease the masses.  

They are in a tough place.  The media picking up on club fire kills 22 is bad enough.  Media writing 30 clubs closed down in Pattaya because of whatever violations hurts tourism, and business.  The business owner says mine and the other businesses have been open how many years and there have been no fires.  

You decide the risk and how much self preservation to take as a guest in Thailand.  

21 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Obviously they missed the high rise in London with flammable cladding or was someone else’s fault?

The cladding on our London flat was replaced free of charge by the developer. As it was being removed we saw why they had agreed to do so as quickly as they did. When they were removing the panels much of the "insulation" turned out to be polystyrene, quickly bagged up and taken away. Standards drop everywhere if there is money to be earned  by not following them.

The bigger clubs,the one in the middle  are always busy with farang and thais in the high season.close round 4 am.If they was a fire i know the entrance is very big and people would get out quickly,they would not hang around.safety important of course but I think the club or owner knows this and provides for this other wise many clubs would not be operating sucessfully

3 hours ago, peterfranks said:

????????????I really want to see the first tourist, or expat, who goes to check the exits when he enters a club.

I check where the exits are routinely, and would think others do too.

I also check where the fire exit is when I check into a new hotel room, and count the doors down the corridor so I can feel my way to the exit in the dark if ever needs be.

Not joking.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Why not name these places in an unusable state, in addition, ensure they do not re-open until a safety certificate has been issued, when will Soi LK get inspected as I am sure places in a similar condition will be found within the night clubs there.

Don't worry they are working on star trek technology, and soon will be able to beem everyone out if a fire starts. 

8 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I don't follow nor do I need to join any club,  what I plan to do in future is get my lap dance near the front door. ????

Lap dances in LOS? Do tell us where such are to be found. No doubt where all the strip clubs are, and do you put 100 baht notes in their garter?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So, are they going to shut down these clubs, until the violations are addressed, or will there be yet another disaster in the not too distant future, due to inadequate inspections, payola, or influential owners?

LOL. The answer is self evident. I take it that is a rhetorical question.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

The bigger clubs,the one in the middle  are always busy with farang and thais in the high season.close round 4 am.If they was a fire i know the entrance is very big and people would get out quickly,they would not hang around.safety important of course but I think the club or owner knows this and provides for this other wise many clubs would not be operating sucessfully

and if the fire is blocking the front exit?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Walking Street is a hodge-podge of bars, clubs and restaurants that critics say should be demolished to make way for something more modern and tourist friendly.

And in light of these "death traps" that are allowed to operate disregarding any safety measures I totally agree.

Time it was all sorted out and not just ignored until the next unfortunate accident.