Safety checks in Pattaya's once famed Walking Street show it's a disaster waiting to happen

webfact

16 hours ago, khunpa said:

Totally agree! The “lose face” concept is so stupid. The act of Cheating, Lying, Stealing will not make you “lose face”.

But Buddha forbid that someone catches you and shames you publicly. It’s such a messed up way of thinking.

Maybe it is to you

• Like 1

OK so they can't be named bcoz of defamation rules here, BUT they could name the ones that passed, even give em a sign outside, maybe the others would lose face and get their act together.

(incidentally has Pray-out been selling off his shirts, in the 2nd photo, isn't that the one $$ from his amazing beach video that captivated the world, cough cough.)  

Plenty of open bars and smaller venues if you want to stay "safe".

The younger iBar /Insomnia crowds are all risk takers anyway.  Doubt they really care, like getting Covid, they will take the chance on going into crowded closed areas so they can have their eardrums blasted with mind numbing EDM just to fantasize about the girls they meet and partake in  

• Thanks 1

I have the strange feeling that I've read all this over and over and over again ......

Do not hold your breath, as usual, nothing is about to happen nor will happen. To the best of my limited knowledge, the entire seaside of the walking street is illegal, no building permits, no nothing .... keeps pockets lined for decades. Hence question is, why change a winning horse and just take the (third party) risk of a (bon-)fire once in a while. Go figure! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I have the strange feeling that I've read all this over and over and over again ......

Do not hold your breath, as usual, nothing is about to happen nor will happen. To the best of my limited knowledge, the entire seaside of the walking street is illegal, no building permits, no nothing .... keeps pockets lined for decades. Hence question is, why change a winning horse and just take the (third party) risk of a (bon-)fire once in a while. Go figure! 

They have been discussing demolishing the "illegal" buildings water side of Walking Street since before Walking Street existed.

It's probably just a way of upping the size of the brown envelopes, rather than a serious attempt to demolish.

Far as I'm concerned, there is enough "beach" in Pattaya and no need to create more along Walking Street. I like it just the way it was, pre covid.

IMO if one wants over regulation and enforced health and safety rules, is scared of being burned to death in a night club, etc, one is better off not going in any building in LOS, and perhaps better off not visiting LOS at all.

It's not up to us farangs to tell them what to do.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

What do they mean "once famed"? It's always been famed and always will be even after they decide to demolish it.

As for the entertainment establishments on the west side of Walking Street not being able to provide an alternative exit to the street entrance, that's what jumping into the sea is for, no? It's always been the 'emergency exit' and safer than staying inside (as long as you don't ingest any sea water while escaping).

They should have bought up and bulldozed everything on the seafront during Covid paranoia time. Then made the landside of WS mid-market waterfront bars sports bar/Irish pubs/steakhouse/Japanese/world cuisine etc. and sent all the clubs to the back sois. There's no point in nightclubs being on the waterfront. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, brianthainess said:

OK so they can't be named bcoz of defamation rules here, BUT they could name the ones that passed, even give em a sign outside, maybe the others would lose face and get their act together.

(incidentally has Pray-out been selling off his shirts, in the 2nd photo, isn't that the one $$ from his amazing beach video that captivated the world, cough cough.)  

Defamation in Thailand in this particular case, amounts to: they'd rather burn alive than lose face! 

Greedy immoral morons. 

18 hours ago, chalawaan said:

They should have bought up and bulldozed everything on the seafront during Covid paranoia time. Then made the landside of WS mid-market waterfront bars sports bar/Irish pubs/steakhouse/Japanese/world cuisine etc. and sent all the clubs to the back sois. There's no point in nightclubs being on the waterfront. 

How many mid-market bars/sports bar/Irish pubs/steakhouse/Japanese/world cuisine etc. does Pattaya need? It's already got all those.

However, there is only one Walking Street.

I'm constantly amazed by farangs that want to destroy the reason folk like me loved Thailand and replace it with some horrid version of the <deleted><deleted>  they come from.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, teelac777 said:

Same thing with many hotels, so there's no way out when a fire happens and a lot die.

The beauty of cheap Thai hotels is that they are all concrete, and no carpet in hallways etc, so a fire would be confined to one room.

I usually stayed in cheap hotels.

Guest houses are sometimes flammable, but usually only 2 or 3 floors, so hopefully won't die if go out the window down a sheet.