Non O visa extension based on family

Hello, 

I am new to these forums. I have searched for an answer to this question online and in these forums but have not been able to find anything relevant. 

I have just moved to Thailand with my wife and son for an extended stay and was intending to apply for the one year extension based on marriage. My wife is a Thai National as is my son (with Thai birth certificate, passport and house book entry). I am currently in the first three months of a non O multi entry visa.

When searching for information on the spouse-based extension route I found there is also extension based on a Thai family member. So here is my question:

Does anyone have knowledge of extending their non-immigrant O visa on the basis of having a Thai child? The process seems significantly simpler than the spouse route in so far as I would not need to visit my own embassy and the Thai foreign affairs office in Bangkok (I am in Chiang Rai) to have documents certified/translated etc.

I am wondering why this option isn't more discussed (since I assume there are many in my situation) and guess there must be a catch.

Also, is the extension based on family also for a 1 year period? (this may be the catch in fact). 

Thanks in advance for any advice/information. 

image.thumb.png.638b384e1ff30b7acae63f7733b39d91.png

When you are married to a Thai, applying for a one-year extension based on Thai child will often not be possible at all. When it is, the process is not as simple as it may seem. For instance, they will want to see the same proof of your marriage (which I assume was abroad which is why it is difficult) in order to establish that you are the legitimised father of the child.

Proceed with an extension based on marriage, accepting the fact that this will be troublesome the first time (much easier in later years).

If you need extra time to prepare the documents for the one-year extension, you may well be able to get a 60-day extension to visit your wife based on only the overseas marriage certificate (translated into Thai if it is not in English or Thai).

• Like 2

Hi, 

Thanks for the replies so far. We were married in Australia and yes Lite Beer is right that I am in Chiang Rai and that is where I will apply. 

By the sounds of BritTim's response I will have to bite the bullet and book a ticket to Bangkok. 

Cheers All. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sirponce said:

Thanks for the replies so far. We were married in Australia and yes Lite Beer is right that I am in Chiang Rai and that is where I will apply. 

You need to have your marriage certificate legalized and translated to Thai to register your foreign marriage at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry if you want to apply for a extension based upon marriage.

3 minutes ago, sirponce said:

By the sounds of BritTim's response I will have to bite the bullet and book a ticket to Bangkok. 

Why?

My understanding is that the legalisation process you describe needs to  be done my embassy and Thai foreign affairs:
image.png.9809efcc3c25d79620e74a0e34ab514a.png

This makes sense since the local Amphoe office won't be able  to make heads or  tails of our  Australian marriage cert. 

So in short - I need to go to Bangkok to visit the Australian Embassy and the Thai Ministry of  Foreign Affairs. 

Above grab is from https://thaivisaexpert.com/thai-wife-visa/ btw. 

33 minutes ago, sirponce said:

This makes sense since the local Amphoe office won't be able  to make heads or  tails of our  Australian marriage cert. 

So in short - I need to go to Bangkok to visit the Australian Embassy and the Thai Ministry of  Foreign Affairs. 

Not all embassies will legitimize a document (the example of the UK embassy is wrong since they no longer do it).

The Australian embassy will do it. You should check the embassy website since some are doing somethings by mail now.

You would first need to have your marriage certificate translated to Thai and then certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA. Info is here on their website is here in Thai. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/page/cate-6441-รับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร?menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c008184

Most things done by them can also be done by mail.

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I know of one Moderator who would dispute you on this.  He told me it is the same onerous task every year.

It is the same simple procedure every year.

Maybe after a while they don't scrutinise the paperwork so closely.

They know you are legit.

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I know of one Moderator who would dispute you on this.  He told me it is the same onerous task every year.

If, like the OP, he married abroad, and had the problem of having the marriage recognised by the Thai authorities, I am very surprised. Most overseas marriages only need to be registered once. That aside, although a retirement extension is easier, most people find the marriage extension less troublesome once they have been through it once and know the ropes.

14 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

11 hours ago, Max Brok said:

As far as I know the complete package documents and pictures as the first time????????

Maybe in Chaing Rai but not in many other provinces, full package of all docs and home visits Every year. not only that but when my new passport arrives, about 3 months after my last extension, Trat want me to do the whole process again with new photos 'n all.

28 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Maybe in Chaing Rai but not in many other provinces, full package of all docs and home visits Every year. not only that but when my new passport arrives, about 3 months after my last extension, Trat want me to do the whole process again with new photos 'n all.

The passport issue is has been the same since 2013. It is not only your office wanting it.

If you do not have 12 months of passport validity when you apply for a extension it is only be  issued to the day your passport expires and then you have to apply for new extension with all the normal documents.