ASEAN license: rumor or real?

rahil627

i read somewhere about using the Thai driver's license in other countries? or is it some special ASEAN sticker or something??

just thinking whether or not i should get one here in Thailand before i go to Vietnam for a bit, as it's a surprisingly simple process here. From what i've read, Vietnam's motor-vehicle bureaucracies are a <deleted>, and you basically need a Vietnam driver's license and a vehicle already registered there. I'm not even sure if international driver's permit works there!

if that were true, then all short-term tourists are driving illegally??

https://aseannow.com/topic/397894-thai-drivers-license-in-vietnam/

- from 2010

Obviously, almost anyone drives illegal on motorbikes in SE Asia. Even you have a license that is valid, with the International paper it is only valid for 90 days at most (applies to many europeans too).

Why would you even care, might be 150 baht if they check you at most.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

ah ok.

a traveller who just came from Vietnam (to Thailand) was checked a few times, so i just thought about this... and maybe it'll make renting easier?

no one has ever stopped me in Thailand, during the pandemic, but i feel all is changing now; as tourism begins again, so do scams (including the police). I imagine it's the same over there...

anyway, it's only 30 days, so unfortunately, i don't have the time to buy and sell a bike i really like, which leaves renting. =/

I have a Thai motor bike drivers license which through an international agreement was told also acceptable in Indonesia.  Very important to drive in Asia(or anywhere) with valid license for that country.   Besides avoiding occasionally getting into hassle with police, if you get in accident,  health insurance companies can decline to cover you as you are operating vehicle illegally. Example; drunk, stoned or no license.

Also,  with motorcycle ALWAYS wear helmet!  Stories of people getting into horrific accidents, running up huge medical bills and not being able to get evacuated to best medical care because lost med coverage even though fully insured.  They were not wearing helmet.  Driving motorbike is illegal in many countries (eg: Thailand, Indonesia) without protective head gear and therefore health care insurance companies not obligated to cover.

• Like 2

I have a Philippine car/bike licence but spend several months a year in Thailand. My Thai licence has now expired, thanks Covid, but I am covered with my RP licence by the recipricol agreement mentioned in the post above. I actually keep a copy of the agreement on my phone but have never been stopped to try it out. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rahil627 said:

I'm not even sure if international driver's permit works there!

if that were true, then all short-term tourists are driving illegally??

It does "work". 

They're not driving illegally. 

Vietnam is a signatory to all the necessary Conventions.

You must have come across the internet and searches, surely?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 9/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You must have come across the internet and searches, surely?

yeah, i noticed the agreement, but i read the reality is different: that no one cares about it.

im surprised to hear so many people cite that old agreement! cool. then yeah, i agree: the thai license is def worth getting. i'll try do it asap, thanks! anyway, it'll be nice to have like 3 motorcycle licenses to feign to the cops my lawfulness.