Long-Term Resident (LTR) Program - Annual Report to Immigration

I know there are a couple of threads on the LTR generally but this is a specific issue:  Has there been any official word about what the "1-Year Report" to Immigration will require?  I've seen the official brochure just published on the Board of Investment website but it doesn't seem to give any detail on this.  Clearly we're going to want to know what is entailed because if they end up requiring anything like the extensive documentation currently required for retirement extensions (and if they continue the current practice of allowing local offices to make up their own additional requirements), it will be much less attractive than it could be.

15 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Immigration will probably insist on 90 day reports, as without them they do not know where the foreigners are, that's why there are so many have been caught with multiyear overstays.

The BOI brochure doesn't say but today's BKK Post article says there will not be the 90 day report requirement, just the annual report.  Of course that may not prove true, but I'm not that concerned about the 90-day anyway, the potential landmine is that annual report.

3 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The BOI brochure doesn't say but today's BKK Post article says there will not be the 90 day report requirement, just the annual report.  Of course that may not prove true, but I'm not that concerned about the 90-day anyway, the potential landmine is that annual report.

I remember when I relocated here in 2005, there was no mention of having to do 90 day reports by Immigration HQ officers (pre CW) or those at Nong Khai, I found out by being bored and starting to read their noticeboard, and guess what the notice was in Thai only.

39 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Immigration will probably insist on 90 day reports, as without them they do not know where the foreigners are, that's why there are so many have been caught with multiyear overstays.

They have their phone numbers these could track them, also the database could provide automatic flags when someone has exceeded their stay.

4 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

BOI has explained that the annual report is the same as the 90 day report, only the reporting is done annually. No other documentation required.  And if you leave the country during the 1 year period, the clock resets and you have another year before making an annual report (also similar to 90 day report, just longer time frame). 

Doesn't sound like much of a landmine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the horse's m out (in answer to a question I sent in to BOI)

will there be an annual or periodic review of qualification for the LTR Visa, and will the visa holder be required to be physically present in Thailand at that time?

Answer: There is no  annual or periodic review of qualification for the LTR Visa holders. However, if the holder are living continuously in Thailand for a period of 1 year, they are required to make 1-year report to the Immigration (in case of re-entering Thailand, the report will be due 1 year counting from the latest arrival date into the Kingdom). 

Please be informed that the LTR visa period is 10 year (5 years + 5 years staying permission) which means that you will get a 5-year visa stamp first. Your qualification and criteria (for example, your investment) will be evaluated again after the first 5 years of the visa. If your qualification and criteria do not meet the requirement e.g. the value of investments is less than USD500,000 (because you sold your property), then you will not get approval for the rest of the 5 years of the visa.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DodgerRodger said:

From the horse's m out (in answer to a question I sent in to BOI)

will there be an annual or periodic review of qualification for the LTR Visa, and will the visa holder be required to be physically present in Thailand at that time?

Answer: There is no  annual or periodic review of qualification for the LTR Visa holders. However, if the holder are living continuously in Thailand for a period of 1 year, they are required to make 1-year report to the Immigration (in case of re-entering Thailand, the report will be due 1 year counting from the latest arrival date into the Kingdom). 

Please be informed that the LTR visa period is 10 year (5 years + 5 years staying permission) which means that you will get a 5-year visa stamp first. Your qualification and criteria (for example, your investment) will be evaluated again after the first 5 years of the visa. If your qualification and criteria do not meet the requirement e.g. the value of investments is less than USD500,000 (because you sold your property), then you will not get approval for the rest of the 5 years of the visa.

Thanks that’s helpful.  I am hopeful that this annual report is not more onerous than our usual 90 day but will await the official form.  It surprises me a bit they would allow someone to qualify initially and then quickly alter their situation - for example, buy a Thai property for the required amount and then sell it a year later, retaining their visa for the full 5 years.  As for the “5+5 years”, It sure seems misleading hype to call it a 10-year visa.  From the description, it is just a 5 year visa, since you only get a 5-year stamp, you have to prove all the qualifications again to get the “second” 5 years, and no doubt it’s  in their discretion whether to extend.  Still it may be worthwhile if that annual report proves innocuous.  

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

As for the “5+5 years”, It sure seems misleading hype to call it a 10-year visa.  From the description, it is just a 5 year visa, since you only get a 5-year stamp, you have to prove all the qualifications again to get the “second” 5 years, and no doubt it’s  in their discretion whether to extend.  Still it may be worthwhile if that annual report proves innocuous.  

Yes, quite.  It seems to me that the only difference is that after 5 years you get a further 5 years without having to pay the 50K Baht fee.  After 10 years, provided you still qualify, I assume you can keep on going by making a new application and paying said fee.

• Like 1