Civil Service Pensions

Bloggi

Hello, are there any Civil Servants out there living and residing in Thailand permanently and receiving their Civil Service Pension, please note this is not about the state pension?

Is the CS Pension uprated annually and if so, is this by the CPI rate, also does anyone pay tax on this and if yes is it taken out at UK source or do you to contribute in Thailand?

Yes, Civil Service Pensions are uprated anually, in line with the CPI, wherever you live in the world, even Thailand.

UK Pensions are taxed at source by MyCSP, your Personal Allowance is reduced by the amount of your State Pension, effectively taxing your State Pension.

As your State Pension will be frozen your Civil Service Pension will be increased on the full amount, irrespective of its division between pre and post 88 GMP, I think that has something to do with the contracting out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bloggi said:

are there any Civil Servants out there living and residing in Thailand

Yes, myself, but not in Thailand, in neighboring Cambodia however what "theoldgit" kindly stated is exactly the same for me. I also receive a UK Local Government Pension which has the same benefits. I am taxed at UK source on both pensions.  It is my State OAP that is frozen at 102 GBP per week without any benefits. 

For reference, you can set up your own CS pension portal whereby you can change personal details and check your pension benefits and payments etc.

https://members.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Would the state pension be frozen if it was paid into a uk bank account ?

Yes, mine is frozen and paid into a UK account in the Isle of Man.

It’s where you’re actually resident that decides whether your State Pension is frozen or not. 

28 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, mine is frozen and paid into a UK account in the Isle of Man.

It’s where you’re actually resident that decides whether your State Pension is frozen or not. 

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick but how would the UK authorities know where you reside ?

4 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick but how would the UK authorities know where you reside ?

Because when you leave you have a legal obligation to tell them:

https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

"You need to tell the relevant government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax that you’re moving or retiring abroad.

Tell your council

You need to contact your local council if you move or retire abroad, and give them a forwarding address.

Benefits

You need to tell the relevant benefits offices that deal with your benefits that you’re moving abroad.

They will tell you if you can continue to get your benefits while you’re abroad.

Pensions

You need to contact the International Pension Centre.

Find out how moving or retiring abroad affects your pension - and how to claim it.

Student loans

You need to tell the Student Loans Company if you’re moving abroad to make sure you pay the right amount.

Tax

You need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that you’re moving or retiring abroad to make sure you pay the right amount of tax."

Edited by partington
  • Thanks 1