Visa exempt on arrival

We are planning to stay in Thailand for 3 months next year, with the permission to stay for visa exempt entry recently extended to 45 days until 31st March. I would be grateful if the usual suspects could do a sense check on the following.

Arrive BKK from UK early January, enter visa exempt. Stay in Hua Hin for 44 days then fly HH to KL, stay for 2 or 3 days then return to HH, again entering on visa exempt. 44 days later (early April) fly back to UK. Assuming Air Asia still fly to KL are there any pitfalls with this plan? Cheers.  

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you checked those flights availability and cost.

Thinking land border bounce would be better option. 

I believe Air Asia are restarting HH to KL flights which we used pre-covid. Cost manageable as we enjoy our mini-holiday in KL. However, haven’t been able to find any flights as yet. Re: land border, is the Kanchanaburi border open now? Otherwise is the plan viable? Thanks for your response doc.

1 hour ago, DanielFR said:

With the 45 days exempt visa upon arrival, it can be renewed for 30 days?

if affirmative, how long into the 45 days can you apply for the 30 extension ? 

The 45 day visa exempt entries start on October 1st and they can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 45 day visa exempt entries start on October 1st and they can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Thank you Ubonjoe, but I was asking how far into the 45 days can I go to the immigration office to extend by 30 days? 

sure, why not BUT be aware u might be asked for an onward or return ticket for the visa exempt, so if u already have ur flight ticket on to kl within 45 days an than on ur 2nd entry to the uk within 45 days

you will be fine

3 minutes ago, andyman57 said:

Would u still have to have a return ticket for 30 days or would it be 45 days???

It should be 45 days but the airlines may not be aware that it was changed to 45 days. Best to get a temporary onward ticket within 30 days for about $14 online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

sure, why not BUT be aware u might be asked for an onward or return ticket for the visa exempt, so if u already have ur flight ticket on to kl within 45 days an than on ur 2nd entry to the uk within 45 days

you will be fine

You do not seem to be aware that a 30 day extension can obtained for each 45 day entry.

10 hours ago, retayl said:

I believe Air Asia are restarting HH to KL flights which we used pre-covid. Cost manageable as we enjoy our mini-holiday in KL. However, haven’t been able to find any flights as yet. Re: land border, is the Kanchanaburi border open now? Otherwise is the plan viable? Thanks for your response doc.

OP,

Myanmar not open so Kanchanaburi not an option.

Think you will not find many flights to KL from HH.

You would need travel to Bangkok and fly from there.

Very messy option for just couple of days in KL.

Thinking you need look for alternative. 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be 45 days but the airlines may not be aware that it was changed to 45 days. Best to get a temporary onward ticket within 30 days for about $14 online.

Can you provide the website for the onward ticket at $14? 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not seem to be aware that a 30 day extension can obtained for each 45 day entry.

yea i am, but he wants 90 day stay
so why bother paying 1,900 to add 30 days to the free 45 days ( 75 days) 
and STILL have to fly out an back?

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

yea i am, but he wants 90 day stay
so why bother paying 1,900 to add 30 days to the free 45 days ( 75 days) 
and STILL have to fly out an back?

He doesn't need fly out and back.

He can do a border bounce for his second 45 day visa exempt entry.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He doesn't need fly out and back.

He can do a border bounce for his second 45 day visa exempt entry.

nothing close OVERLAND  to HH until Burma land borders reopen
HH= Malaysia apx 14 hours x2
HH-Cambodia  apx 9 x2
OK?

Edited by zzzzz

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

nothing close OVERLAND  to HH until Burma land borders reopen
HH= Malaysia apx 14 hours
HH-Cambodia  apx 9
OK?

So fly where? 

Travel to Bangkok and fly where.

He could consider flight DMK to Udon Thani and minivan to Nong Khai.

Since he wants 90 day stay...in hindsight should have entered with tourist visa and obtained 30 day extension 

Edited by DrJack54

Hua Hin is not that far from  Bangkok airport  !! Plenty options from Bangkok for a nice week away. Siem Reap Cambodia ( great without the crowds)  Saigon or Hanoi. Singapore or KL. I did that often while staying in Hua Hin ! Plenty flights to choose from. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Hua Hin is not that far from  Bangkok airport  !! Plenty options from Bangkok for a nice week away. Siem Reap Cambodia ( great without the crowds)  Saigon or Hanoi. Singapore or KL. I did that often while staying in Hua Hin ! Plenty flights to choose from. 

Certainly, flying from Bangkok to KL is an option. However, if living in Hua Hin (like the OP) and flights were available from Hua Hin to KL (announced from October) I would be very tempted to fly from Hua Hin rather than Bangkok.

Flying from Bangkok becomes the best option, of course, if wanting to spend time outside Thailand which is not available with the limited AirAsia flights from Huan Hin, or via an easy journey overland.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 11:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

Do airline check-in staff check if these onward tickets are legit? Seems like these onward ticket sites sell fake tickets with no PNR codes. For example "OnwardFlights(dot)com 

Edited by bbi1

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Do airline check-in staff check if these onward tickets are legit? Seems like these onward ticket sites sell fake tickets with no PNR codes. For example "OnwardFlights(dot)com 

Been shown to have no issue by many reports. 

Next question.