Indian man agrees to pay 200k baht to dance teacher over inappropriate touch on Pattaya Walking Street

webfact

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I see from the linked article that the Indian, just another low-class tourist that Thailand attracts like a bee to honey, is being charged not with assault but for causing chaos in public. Chaos? Really?

Had she turned around and whacked him one, and then enrolled the help of a few WIN guys, or similar, he may have got a similar treatment that last weeks samosa thief got. 

• Like 1

Had the exact thing happen to me in Taiwan about 4 yrs ago and guess what the girl "asked for"?? (street-side/with cops there).....Yup, 200,000nt (235,000b). Only thing is I made sure I went right to the cop station to get myself on video as I had no idea how many of them were in on it. Got myself on tape pointing to the 2 cops in the office looking at the cameras (girl/her bf didn't enter of course).

My friends in the Taiwan attaché office + Investigation Bureau looked into it the next day and the 2 cops questioning me + girl were caught. Plus the girls' bf was in police training school and had the 2 corrupt cops' phone numbers in his phone so they were all connected (including calls to each other that night earlier). The bf / cop-in-training was ousted righted away. Then a short time later one of the "bad" cops got caught doing something else. So, he ratted to the "good" cops about the other intoxicated foreigners they had previously targeted so to get a good plea bargain!! So, they had enough to get them all.

Can't believe they got away with it for a while as I knew it was a scam right away and then my police friends noticing the one SCTV camera on my regular Saturday night course home / in front of my place, was turned away 2 days earlier. But "on" SCTV were the cops lying in wait up the street in their cruiser as the girl screamed and I then wondered how the cops got there so fast when they usually just drink tea at the station and don't patrol normally. These guys were amateurs but got away with it for a bit it seems.

Not saying the guy here in Pattaya didn't do it (but think they had video of him) but I sure didn't, and I feel myself lucky I had authorities in higher places to look into it all.

But seems the scam may have hit Thailand now!!......or others were just educated with this whole story!!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

It's all about money, I wonder how they agree on the price of 200,000 for a grope? If he pays out we are all in trouble, even the working girls will make much more money being groped

Approximately 5000USD, rounded up. A number I have heard before. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Hopefully this shameful behaviour and it's out come will be given publicity in India to warned all would be tourists to behave themselves and respect the host country, something that is right now surly lacking...

This is exactly the point of this made for T.V horse and pony show....

I will lay good money there have lots and lots of reports of many Indians not behaving well...So the A team was standing in wait for the next inappropriate touching........They then bagged a Indian......And are now making a HUGE show of it to warn others....

And about a 99.99% chance the 200,000 baht number is a complete fabrication.......With the real fine a fraction of this...

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For the record - I believe anyone should be free to go anywhere they please (legally) and be free from inappropriate and illegal behaviour. 

At the same time, I also believe people have to be realistic and look after themselves.

The issue is somewhat more complex than the ‘black and white’ arguments we have read in the other thread...  Life exists beyond absolutes of the black and white world of right and wrong... Life exists in the grey area, issues become multifaceted, they overlap, intertwine, there is accountability... 

In this case the behaviour of the man was clearly wrong, but the lady also carries a certain amount or moral accountability to herself for placing herself in such an area in the first place.  

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but that is the reality of the real world beyond absolutes. 

I’d never take my Wife to such an area, and there’s a reason why. 

Without casting aspersions to the current victim, but there are so called "high class working ladies" well dressed, well spoken, that do frequent "hot spots" . Maybe we will see some of them at walking street at 3am. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've never walked down walking street or other ‘red light areas’ of Pattaya and been ‘groped’ by Ladyboys and bar-girls ??? - its difficult to avoid - and no, I don’t like it, but it comes with he territory ?

So..  the next foreigner who walks down Walking street and gets their crotch grabbed by a ladyboy, can they report it and get 200,000 baht ???

And therein lies the rub?

Countless times on this forum alone we have seen ladyboys assault foreigners, it gets reported and the ladyboys get a 500 baht fine and are back on the street.

Perhaps he is one of these wealthy Indians. we hear about??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

the victim's willingness to put herself in that setting needs to be taken into consideration when assessing damages.

she is walking on a public street... and attacked from and in the behind... I don't think she needs to prove she is not a sex worker nor do I think he should attack a sex worker in unwanted fashion either... her butt ain't a free grab... I think 200,000 is fair game - - I just don't know of a situation where it is more acceptable to molest someone... 

• Like 1