Efforts Continue to Chase 100 Wild Elephants from Farmland

snoop1130

1662718901_098867-tnamcot.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Sept 9 (TNA) – Officials, rescue workers and villagers joined forces to scare away about 100 wild elephants from the farmland of the Khao Pradu community in Khon Buri district.

More than 50 park rangers, forest protection workers, rescue workers and villagers launched their operation to push about 100 wild elephants back to the Thap Lan National Park as the pachyderms had fed on the farmland and the Khao Pradu community forest in the northeastern province since Sept 5.

Initially there were about 30-40 elephants but later their number grew to about 100.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1014709

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-09-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Last week I visited a poor school in Buriram that cannot grow vegetables for lunch as elephants keep coming and eating the vegetables, and stomping on fish in the pond nearby.

There seems to be no confirmed method of keeping them away. Electric fences don’t work after they figure out their tusks don’t conduct electricity. Fences or trees don’t obstruct them. 

Maybe they can be driven away once but with deforestation, their habitats are being destroyed and they return for food. 

5 minutes ago, Purdey said:

There seems to be no confirmed method of keeping them away. Electric fences don’t work after they figure out their tusks don’t conduct electricity. Fences or trees don’t obstruct them. 

I once saw a documentary where they successfully repelled elephants by putting beehives on posts around the boundary of a field. It seems they are terrified of these creatures.

I don't remember which country.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Last week I visited a poor school in Buriram that cannot grow vegetables for lunch as elephants keep coming and eating the vegetables, and stomping on fish in the pond nearby.

Maybe they can be driven away once but with deforestation, their habitats are being destroyed and they return for food. 

Must be a fairly small pond (or some stupid fish) if the fish cannot avoid an elephant foot.

No easy answer, except to plant some kind of food they love in their own environments as much as possible, and respect national preserves.

We've got bears and deer and turkeys in the USA.

Bears get into my garbage on occassion. Deer and turkeys try to eat everything I plant. There's always a solution.

Just now, jaywalker said:

Must be a fairly small pond (or some stupid fish) if the fish cannot avoid an elephant foot.

No easy answer, except to plant some kind of food they love in their own environments as much as possible, and respect national preserves.

We've got bears and deer and turkeys in the USA.

Bears get into my garbage on occassion. Deer and turkeys try to eat everything I plant. There's always a solution though, and I'm no tree-hugger.

More than one deer had wound up being dinner atound my Florida pad, while he was looking for dinner.

Just now, jaywalker said: