Can We Rename This Site And Drop The Word Soccer

keddy

It's about time we kicked the word soccer out into touch and stick with football only . The other forms of so called 'football' can be called various names like American rugby, Victorian pat-ball and Gaelic pat-ball, as they really kick their air bags, they are really misnomers. I know soccer derives from association football but only a small minority call it this in the world. I sometimes enjoy watching Pat ball and American rugby but it ain't football. :o

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Aussies call it soccer too :D

Well the football authority there now call it Football Federation Australia to bring them into line with most of the world. Maybe they should rename Aussie Rules: Mullet ball to celebrate the hairstyles of the players from the 80's onwards. :o

It's about time we kicked the word soccer out into touch and stick with football only . The other forms of so called 'football' can be called various names like American rugby, Victorian pat-ball and Gaelic pat-ball, as they really kick their air bags, they are really misnomers. I know soccer derives from association football but only a small minority call it this in the world. I sometimes enjoy watching Pat ball and American rugby but it ain't football. :o

Get bent. (trans: I'd like to keep it the way it is, thank you.)

Get bent. (trans: I'd like to keep it the way it is, thank you.)

No, Bent costs too much. Get Tevez (again). Now that would be a good thing! :D

Don't want to spoil your fun, but

The word "soccer" comes from the original name of the game "Association Football" or more precisely from its abbreviation Assoc. Assoc. was a slang term used in UK universities from about 1889. It later became socca, socker (1891) and finally evolved into soccer (1895).

The Football Association was founded in London in October 1863 by eleven clubs/schools. The Association agreed upon a standard set of rules prohibiting use of the hands or carrying the ball. The clubs which opposed this rule eventually broke away conceiving their own version of the game - rugby.

At that time, Rugger meant "rugby rules" football while soccer meant "association rules" football.

Ok ok, so I do want to spoil your fun. :o

Edited by Torv

The word "soccer" comes from the original name of the game "Association Football" or more precisely from its abbreviation Assoc. Assoc. was a slang term used in UK universities from about 1889. It later became socca, socker (1891) and finally evolved into soccer (1895).

The Football Association was founded in London in October 1863 by eleven clubs/schools. The Association agreed upon a standard set of rules prohibiting use of the hands or carrying the ball. The clubs which opposed this rule eventually broke away conceiving their own version of the game - rugby.

At that time, Rugger meant "rugby rules" football while soccer meant "association rules" football.

The great sport of Rugby Union is quite rightly called Rugby Football, whilst those that roll around on the floor and try and insist it is Association football, should really wake up, it is Soccer, full stop.

Good Day

Moss

The great sport of Rugby Union is quite rightly called Rugby Football, whilst those that roll around on the floor and try and insist it is Association football, should really wake up, it is Soccer, full stop.

Good Day

Moss

No, you wake up. Every country in the world, apart from a couple of anglophone countries, call it by it's proper name. Do I need to spell it out to you. Rugby is a form of sport mainly played with the hands while football is mainly played with the feet. Hence the name Football. If you want to look up what's going on in the world of American Rugby, Rugby Union and League, Victorian Mullet ball then it's served up on the other sports site. Good Day to you :o

Hey, all I'm saying is that we (Americans) are just using what the English came up with.

We didn't make up this "sockaaa"

They should be proud.

Hey, all I'm saying is that we (Americans) are just using what the English came up with.

They should be proud.

We were. And stop using 100-200 year old words like ''scallion'' and ''skillet''* and ... loads of others. Wake up dood, it's an evolving language and you're falling waaaaay behind (and, I might add, confusing nouns, adjectives and verbs).

PS And you're all crap at football ... except, of course, the wonderful Jay DeMerit.

[* Not all of which start with the letter ''s'', although I'm obviously fixated with the letter ''s'', since we're talking ''soccer'', ''scallions'' and ''skillets''.]

Edited by MarkBKK

Ok ok, so I do want to spoil your fun. :D

They should be proud.

Although you never hear English football fans calling the game 'soccer' . You do hear a few Rugby types call it that but it's usually a class thing and they say it to demonstrate their social position along with the snobbery of claiming their game as real football and that 'soccer' is a game played by the lower classes. However, before Web Ellis and Walter Camp (great name :o ) diverted from the mainstream and started handling the ball, the game had been called football. Soccer has really been a term imposed from establishment figures from above. The name was first coined by Charles Wreford-Brown, a rich Oxford graduate, but has never been a term used by the vast majority of fans. Now it has been adopted by Americans but football is football; a game played mainly with the feet. :D

They should be proud.

We were. And stop using 100-200 year old words like ''scallion'' and ''skillet''* and ... loads of others. Wake up dood, it's an evolving language and you're falling waaaaay behind (and, I might add, confusing nouns, adjectives and verbs).

PS And you're all crap at football ... except, of course, the wonderful Jay DeMerit.

[* Not all of which start with the letter ''s'', although I'm obviously fixated with the letter ''s'', since we're talking ''soccer'', ''scallions'' and ''skillets''.]

I'm not sure what you're on about Mark. I explained my point, and as you tried to explain yours, it resulted in you saying "dood". Is it because I live in the US? I also live in California, so we must go around saying "dood" and high 5 one another Top Gun style? We're suppose to be the stereotypical one, not you. Is that word a part of your "evolving" language too? :o I dont' know if you'd understand this, but the language hasn't invented new words in many years.

We had never claimed to be good at football. We're not a footballing nation, and we realize that. Though the development of football here in the States has dramatically accelerated, but we're a long way off.

My point is that. We call it soccer (I personally don't). England invented the word, and we're now using it. "Football" is used by a massive amount of people that follow "American football". And it's just a word. It has no impact in life or the way we play the game whatsoever. Are you also displease with us saying elevators and french fries too?

They should be proud.

Although you never hear English football fans calling the game 'soccer' . You do hear a few Rugby types call it that but it's usually a class thing and they say it to demonstrate their social position along with the snobbery of claiming their game as real football and that 'soccer' is a game played by the lower classes. However, before Web Ellis and Walter Camp (great name :o ) diverted from the mainstream and started handling the ball, the game had been called football. Soccer has really been a term imposed from establishment figures from above. The name was first coined by Charles Wreford-Brown, a rich Oxford graduate, but has never been a term used by the vast majority of fans. Now it has been adopted by Americans but football is football; a game played mainly with the feet. :D

Thanks for an informative post Keddy. That's a history lesson in a couple of lines there. :D

It's just that it really is no big deal what you call it. Thailand calls it "football", but can't beat Australian's "soccer". I don't think there'd be a panel somewhere in the Alps' deep dark cave discussing and distressing over how a "football" has lost to a "soccer" today.

The weird thing is that "Soccer", for some reason has been Americanized even though the Americans neither liked the sports (it's getting better now), nor did we invent the term. I blame World War II. :D

Edited by Torv

You say the word "football" in any place in America and it only means American football or gridiron. Only word used for soccer is soccer.

You say football anywhere else in the world and it means soccer.

I don't think any Americans here would care if you changed the forum name because everyone knows what "football" refers to here. If necessary, add an "American football" subforum. But, I suspect there just aren't enough Americans here to support it.

You say the word "football" in any place in America and it only means American football or gridiron. Only word used for soccer is soccer.

I don't think any Americans here would care if you changed the forum name because everyone knows what "football" refers to here. If necessary, add an "American football" subforum. But, I suspect there just aren't enough Americans here to support it.

We are neither in America nor am I American so why should we continue to use this imposed term. How would baseball fans in the states like an imposed name like Crockit to descibe their sport. Everytime I hear the word 'soccer' with that drawl, it makes me think of mainstream American culture pervading the entire globe at the moment. You can stick Starbucks, sneekers and soccer where the sun doesn't shine, along ,with all the other depressing Americanisms though I'm happy to listen to American music and other form of culture, I just don't want the whole package. :o

Come now boys. They're just words. Football = Soccer. It doesn't equate to "American Imperialism".

Change it if you want, no one really cares (and that's the whole point I'm desperately trying to get across).

Come now boys. They're just words. Football = Soccer. It doesn't equate to "American Imperialism".

Change it if you want, no one really cares (and that's the whole point I'm desperately trying to get across).

Yes, me too. No Americans care if you change it. Do a poll if you like.

Good Day

Moss

Good Day

Moss

No, you wake up. Every country in the world, apart from a couple of anglophone countries, call it by it's proper name. Do I need to spell it out to you. Rugby is a form of sport mainly played with the hands while football is mainly played with the feet. Hence the name Football. If you want to look up what's going on in the world of American Rugby, Rugby Union and League, Victorian Mullet ball then it's served up on the other sports site. Good Day to you :o

I guess your new to my posts regarding Soccer/Football, but if you had been aware of my previous posts regarding the subject, I feel you would understand that it was in jest.

Although, I do feel you need to try and understand irony when it would appear to be quite obvious.

I for one could not give a hoot whether you called Footy, Football or Soccer. I am just in the EPL compo, for a bit of a laugh.

Good Luck

Moss

To be fair mate you come over as polite and reasonable.

But I understand keddy's anathema to American cultural imperialism and how they are now trying to hijack our game as if their own. Blimey, as if we ain't already got the embarrassing spectacle of cheer leaders at Bolton. If they had enough supporters to heave a collective cringe then I'm sure that they would.

But as much as we don't like the word it ain't gonna change according to chon. So let's hope that the Totts replace their cockrel with a KFC advert and whilst wer'e at it, I'll drop the dipthong and call this my favorite Thai soccer forum.

Thanks to Nick Hornby they made my game an acceptable middle-class commodity, and now a mere extension of American linguistic and cultural domination.

ked, could this be our last stand geez ? :o

To be fair mate you come over as polite and reasonable.

But I understand keddy's anathema to American cultural imperialism and how they are now trying to hijack our game as if their own. Blimey, as if we ain't already got the embarrassing spectacle of cheer leaders at Bolton. If they had enough supporters to heave a collective cringe then I'm sure that they would.

But as much as we don't like the word it ain't gonna change according to chon. So let's hope that the Totts replace their cockrel with a KTFC advert and whilst wer'e at it, I'll drop the dipthong and call this my favorite Thai soccer forum.

Thanks to Nick Hornby they made my game an acceptable middle-class commodity, and now a mere extension of American linguistic and cultural domination.

ked, could this be our last stand geez ? :o

I think there are enough americans to support a forum on Football but many of us have lost track because of the time differance. I used to watch football (not soccer) religiously when i lived in the USA. It is just to hard to force myself to start watching at 2am and stay up all night in order to watch a live game. Recording them and then watching after the scores are in the newspaper never appealed to me.

I think there are enough americans to support a forum on Football but many of us have lost track because of the time differance. I used to watch football (not soccer) religiously when i lived in the USA. It is just to hard to force myself to start watching at 2am and stay up all night in order to watch a live game. Recording them and then watching after the scores are in the newspaper never appealed to me.

I was lucky enough during the last playoffs and superbowl to get CBS streamed online on TVU. That's been shut down now I think.

Chelsea won the Soccer's Association Cup this year didn't they....................................NO, they won the Football Association's Cup!!

Do Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc play in the Soccer Association's Premier League? NO, they play in the Football Association's Premier League.

Nuff said :o

I was lucky enough during the last playoffs and superbowl to get CBS streamed online on TVU. That's been shut down now I think.

The American Rugby is on the other sports site but it might be found under the title of another site where men like to dress up in tights and shoulder pads just like your founder Walter 'cottaging' Camp. :o It's not here because this is a real football site. :D