Can We Rename This Site And Drop The Word Soccer

keddy

If you want to be democratic, you'd agree that it should be called "football/soccer" forum so the Americans could feel included. Democracy is about including everyone. We have 300 million calling the game "soccer" so I wouldn't call that a small amount. Quit your childish whining.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be democratic, you'd agree that it should be called "football/soccer" forum so the Americans could feel included. Democracy is about including everyone. We have 300 million calling the game "soccer" so I wouldn't call that a small amount. Quit your childish whining.

Oooo, sorry about our history. :o

Out of the 300 million, 299 don't know their Arsenal from their Aston Villa. Their Barcelona from their Bolton, Their West Ham from their Wigan Why should TVisa accomodate people who neither care about football or respect how the vast majority of the rest of the world describe their sport. We don't need or use duel terms for any other sport like Baseball/Rounders, in order to include the British and others, so why have the same with football. Not whining just want to use the right term. FOOTBALL IS FOOTBALL :o

But some Americans on this site, such as myself, do know their Arsenal from Aston Villa, and do enjoy the sport, so just quit your bitchin'. I fail to see why you have to be so uppity about this. I do care and respect football, and usually call it football. But some who know and care may prefer to call it soccer, as that is what it's called in our country.

Also, there are Americans on this board who like American football and hopefully it can help clarify that this is a soccer topic, not an American football topic. I admit some fail to notice this, however.

Language is different in different countries. In England, football is the correct term. In the U.S., soccer is the correct term. I'm not going to start demanding that you stop calling flashlights "torches" or trunks (of cars) "boots". Differences are something that just are, and you can't change that.

I for one would love it if Americans called the sport by the name the rest of the world uses, but we got the word soccer from England in the first place and it caught on. And there's the little problem that the most watched sport in the U.S. is American football, and changing soccer to football would confuse most of the population. It ain't going to happen in this lifetime.

By the way, your argument doesn't appear to hold weight. Does anybody still call it rounders?

Edit: The correct term is being used on this topic. Soccer is secondary. Also, the forum leader of this topic said it ain't (like my horrible grammar?) going to change, so the subject is moot.

Edited by Jimjim

But some Americans on this site, such as myself, do know their Arsenal from Aston Villa, and do enjoy the sport, so just quit your bitchin'. I fail to see why you have to be so uppity about this. I do care and respect football, and usually call it football. But some who know and care may prefer to call it soccer, as that is what it's called in our country.

Also, there are Americans on this board who like American football and hopefully it can help clarify that this is a soccer topic, not an American football topic. I admit some fail to notice this, however.

Language is different in different countries. In England, football is the correct term. In the U.S., soccer is the correct term. I'm not going to start demanding that you stop calling flashlights "torches" or trunks (of cars) "boots". Differences are something that just are, and you can't change that.

I for one would love it if Americans called the sport by the name the rest of the world uses, but we got the word soccer from England in the first place and it caught on. And there's the little problem that the most watched sport in the U.S. is American football, and changing soccer to football would confuse most of the population. It ain't going to happen in this lifetime.

By the way, your argument doesn't appear to hold weight. Does anybody still call it rounders?

Edit: The correct term is being used on this topic. Soccer is secondary. Also, the forum leader of this topic said it ain't (like my horrible grammar?) going to change, so the subject is moot.

[/quote

Rounders is Baseball a game we used to play at primary school. Most people from England don't follow Baseball but know the game through having played it but we dont impose the term on others just because we know it by this name. I like the game and I'm prepared to respect the tradition and terms and learn about it as an outsider without changing any of the terms (even though we invented it :o ). Talking of language and Culture many people are resentful of the USA's dubious influence in globalization. Would you like one homogenous culture where everything is decided by the market economy and marketing, including what we call things. Most fans don't want or like the word soccer it has never been used by the fans. It was a term invented by the establishment and has been dealt with earlier in the thread. Oh and by the way, the real 'bitch' is Walter Camp who wanted to change the rules of Rugby but decided to call it football without realizing there was a game called by that name already. :D

many people are resentful of the USA's dubious influence in globalization. Would you like one homogenous culture where everything is decided by the market economy and marketing

Football or Soccer then?

Moss

many people are resentful of the USA's dubious influence in globalization. Would you like one homogenous culture where everything is decided by the market economy and marketing

Football or Soccer then?

Moss

I think they call it football here in Thailand. :o

Why not call it "Headers" since a large proportion of goals are scored by players diving forward and smacking the ball with their foreheads into the goals. :D

A lot of penalty goals are scored by this diving method also. The player just has to grab his shin and roll around on the ground crying for a few minutes. :o

Australian Rules FOOTBALL is the only code where the singular way to score a goal is to kick the ball with the boot directly through the goal. :D

Edited by Old Croc

Get rid of "soccer" in the forum title? Well, of all the arrogance! Next you'll want us Yanks to throw away our inches, feet, miles, ounces and pounds! :o Heresy!

Edited by toptuan

Why not call it "Headers" since a large proportion of goals are scored by players diving forward and smacking the ball with their foreheads into the goals. :D

A lot of penalty goals are scored by this diving method also. The player just has to grab his shin and roll around on the ground crying for a few minutes. :o

Australian Rules FOOTBALL is the only code where the singular way to score a goal is to kick the ball with the boot directly through the goal. :D

I thought somebody from the chain gang would eventually turn up and add their 2 cents worth. I thought Mullet ball was a more appropriate term for this sport. If any sport has an award for the most outrageous hair styles it would have to go to the Aussie Rules players. As you say you kick the ball but how many times in a game. Most of the time your patting it, bouncing it, throwing it but the kicking is kept to a minimum. As for the rolling around in real football yes I agree but so what? They still have to kick the ball in the net and pass the ball with their feet. Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Aussie Rules on the Telly it would certainly be better than the golf, pool,spelling competitions, wrestling (where the acting is worse than football) and skateboarding currently on offer on UBC. :D

Football or Soccer then?

Moss

I think they call it football here in Thailand. :D

I thought somebody from the chain gang would eventually turn up and add their 2 cents worth. I thought Mullet ball was a more appropriate term for this sport. If any sport has an award for the most outrageous hair styles it would have to go to the Aussie Rules players. As you say you kick the ball but how many times in a game. Most of the time your patting it, bouncing it, throwing it but the kicking is kept to a minimum. As for the rolling around in real football yes I agree but so what? They still have to kick the ball in the net and pass the ball with their feet. Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Aussie Rules on the Telly it would certainly be better than the golf, pool,spelling competitions, wrestling (where the acting is worse than football) and skateboarding currently on offer on UBC. :D

Is that really the best you can do?

Moss

Football or Soccer then?

Moss

I think they call it football here in Thailand. :o

Is that really the best you can do?

Moss

Is that the best you can do? I haven't noticed any pearls of wisdom or any devastating Oscar Wilde style quips from you either :D:bah::bah:

Rounders is Baseball a game we used to play at primary school. Most people from England don't follow Baseball but know the game through having played it but we dont impose the term on others just because we know it by this name. I like the game and I'm prepared to respect the tradition and terms and learn about it as an outsider without changing any of the terms (even though we invented it :o ). Talking of language and Culture many people are resentful of the USA's dubious influence in globalization. Would you like one homogenous culture where everything is decided by the market economy and marketing, including what we call things. Most fans don't want or like the word soccer it has never been used by the fans. It was a term invented by the establishment and has been dealt with earlier in the thread. Oh and by the way, the real 'bitch' is Walter Camp who wanted to change the rules of Rugby but decided to call it football without realizing there was a game called by that name already. :D

Doesn't rounders have a few different rules than baseball? I'm pretty sure it does, hence a different name. No problem here. Very similar, though.

Soccer, however, is of course the same game as football. I'm not trying to impose the name soccer on anyone.

The problem is you're arguing about nothing. You can't change the way it happened. We got the name from England whether it was invented by the establishment or not. We can't change that here. The U.S. being a different country, language evolves differently and for whatever reason, soccer caught on instead of the world football. I don't see what's to be so bitter about. So, just get used to it. You don't have to call it that, but at least it's nice for forum members to realize that this is a football forum, and not an American football forum.

Doesn't rounders have a few different rules than baseball? I'm pretty sure it does, hence a different name. No problem here. Very similar, though.

Soccer, however, is of course the same game as football. I'm not trying to impose the name soccer on anyone.

The problem is you're arguing about nothing. You can't change the way it happened. We got the name from England whether it was invented by the establishment or not. We can't change that here. The U.S. being a different country, language evolves differently and for whatever reason, soccer caught on instead of the world football. I don't see what's to be so bitter about. So, just get used to it. You don't have to call it that, but at least it's nice for forum members to realize that this is a football forum, and not an American football forum.

Not bitter just don't like the word thats all and I'm prepared to have a friendly joust about it with a few of the members. I'm happy to watch American sports (except Ice Hockey and Basketball) and learn about them, including all the terminology and tradition without imposing any terms on them. The word Soccer does come from England or a section of the English Establishment but it is a word that has never been used by the fans themselves. We don't want it or need it as the word football describes the sport, adequately. Most of the world uses the word football including Thailand. If you want to learn about football, respect the traditions, including what we call it. :D

You don't have to call it that, but at least it's nice for forum members to realize that this is a football forum, and not an American football forum.

American Football has names like West Ham, Manchester City ,Reading and Oxford. ? With the greatest of respect, it's not rocket science or anything. Anyone looking at the forum should be able to realise for themselves that it's about English football and nothing to do with America football whatsoever.

Anyway, it's sort of heartening that a few Americans apparently do seem to take an interest in our game. But it is called football and not bleedin' soccer. :o

Is that the best you can do? I haven't noticed any pearls of wisdom or any devastating Oscar Wilde style quips from you either :o:D:D

Touché Ked. :bah:

But it makes me chuckle when I hear Football called Soccer. :o

Next you'll want us Yanks to throw away our inches, feet, miles, ounces and pounds! :D Heresy!

No, no, no Toptuan. I still like to use those methods also. I run a Kilometre when i hear people using that stupid metric system!! :bah:

:D

give the Yanks an Centimetre and they'll take a Mile!

this is a football forum,

Oxford. ?

Wow H I am surprized, Oxford and Football in the same sentence.

Moss

Wow H I am surprized, Oxford and Football in the same sentence.

Moss

Dunno mate. In the absence of an Accrington Stanley fred, I thought that I was proving my credibility as an aged non glory hunter. Either that or I'm still lost in my Ruskin days. :o

I think it's perfectly ok to use the word soccer, especially considering that the largest natively anglophone nation use the word and would otherwise clutter the forum with threads on a different sport and be justified in doing so.

I think it's perfectly ok to use the word soccer, especially considering that the largest natively anglophone nation use the word and would otherwise clutter the forum with threads on a different sport and be justified in doing so.

I'm not so sure about that. In it's proper sense, the notion of "Anglophone" reaches beyond the mere dictionary definition of "English-language speaker". The term specifically refers to people whose cultural background is primarily associated with English language, regardless of ethnic and geographical differences. The Anglophone culture beyond the "mother country" is the legacy of the British colonial empire.

The narrow term can also refer to nations which have English as an official language or where a majority of the population speak it, such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, India, Malta, Jamaica, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Australia, Singapore, South Africa, Gibraltar, Pakistan, The Philippines, New Zealand, Nigeria.

How many of those nations , even in the narrow sense, use the word 'soccer' ?

I personally reject the notion of American English for speaking either English or American as being different. A point that I always make when staying in hotels if they refer to 'elevator' instead of 'lift' (or 'lif 'as the Thais say) or end a sentence with an affirmative "right !" instead of using it a correctly as a question; "is that right?" Koon cow jai took ! :D

Oh, don't get me started on this one :o

I hate to disagree with a fellow West Ham supporter but you're got to look how football fans themselves define their sport. Yes a lot of Americans call the sport soccer- though an increasing Spanish speaking section call it futbol-but how many of them watch it or care about it. One of the great things about the game is the history and tradition built up over the decades. I don't expect American sports to change their name to accomodate a European audience in fact it would spoil it for me if they started to call Baseball rounders. Look what's happened to Rugby league and Rugby Union with the club name changes and image makeovers . In an attempt to bring in a new audience for TV they have damaged the history of these sports.Would you want to see the same with Football. Football is football unless it's Futbol. :o

They call their sport football in the US when the players mostly carry the ball with their hands. :o

Yep, as a die-hard fan of the American game, I've always thought that "football" was a strange name for it. A friend of mine from Oz always refers to it as "Grid Iron"--much more appropriate IMO.

Anyway, it's sort of heartening that a few Americans apparently do seem to take an interest in our game. But it is called football and not bleedin' soccer. :D

Right. Except in the U.S.

And by the ex-colonials in Australia and new Zealand. But they're of little consequence in the great scheme of all things football either. :D:o

Anyway, it's sort of heartening that a few Americans apparently do seem to take an interest in our game. But it is called football and not bleedin' soccer. :D

And by the ex-colonials in Australia and new Zealand. But they're of little consequence in the great scheme of all things football either. :D:o

Neither is England. Have seen their international performances?

Neither is England. Have seen their international performances?

Are you really asking ? Well let's just say that I refer to the England team as 'us' and not 'them'.

Whatever the well documented faults of the England side, suprisingly we still are respected throughout the world - particularly in South America.

Despite that fact that we English view the team more cynically. You see, we think that we should win everything given that we gave football to the world, but the reality is somewhat different.

Oh, you need to be English to understand. :D

"The narrow term can also refer to nations which have English as an official language or where a majority of the population speak it, such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, India, Malta, Jamaica, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Australia, Singapore, South Africa, Gibraltar, Pakistan, The Philippines, New Zealand, Nigeria.

How many of those nations , even in the narrow sense, use the word 'soccer' ?"

The game is known as football in countries where English is an official language, such as; England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jamaica, Malta, India, Nigeria, Cameroon, Puerto Rico, Belize, Anguilla, Pakistan, Singapore and others. It is worth noting that for many of these nations, the game is also the national sport of the country.

However, in other vartions of the "English language", spoken by countries who do not hold the sport as their national game, it is known as soccer. In these countries the word "football" is applied to other codes of football which are not as wide-spread or popular worlwide in comparison. Examples of this includes Australia, Canada, the United States, and parts of Ireland; and in areas where rugby union or rugby league are more popular than association football, such as Australia, New Zealand, and the white communities of South Africa. In these countries "football" was often included in the names of the earliest leagues and governing bodies of the sport, but as that word became increasingly associated with other domestic forms of the game, soccer became more widely used. Wikipedia