36 inch (90 to 92 cm) kitchen counters in Chiang Mai?

RamenRaven

Where in Chiang Mai do they have 36 inch (90 cm) kitchen counters, which is the standard kitchen countertop height in most Western countries?

I went to Thai Watsadu and the counters were all 33 and 34 inches (84 and 86 cm) high. I couldn't find any 36 inch counters.

Would you recommend custom building it or buying a ready-built countertop? I can't find any ready-built countertops that are 36 inches high. I'm also trying to figure out cost estimates. Then I'd have to decide whether to use marble, granite, ceramic, wood, or another material.

I'm asking because the counter in the new house that I just bought is 31.5 inches (80 cm), which is so low that I can't even use it except as a storage space and to do simple tasks like heating food in the microwave.

I asked the seller (a property development company) if they can raise it, and they said the only option is to completely demolish it myself and build a new one.

Current counter dimensions: about 88 inches long on both sides, measured starting from the corner. There's a big window above the sink that starts at 36 inches, but the stove area is entirely wall.

Edited by RamenRaven

Is this the standard Thai style concrete/brick/block kitchen counter?

If so it should be a relatively easy task to remove the top (probably destroying it in the process) and add a couple of courses or a steel framework (which would be lighter) to the existing structure before replacing the top.

Actually, thinking about it why not add a steel framework to the existing top with a new worksurface (sort of like a very low table) and make a feature of the "industrial-chic" exposed structure (and create a "handy" storage space into the bargain)? Your local metal basher should be able to knock something up in a few hours.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a contractor to chisel off the top, take off the tiles, and raise it to 91.5 cm, which is the US standard, with additional bricks. There's also a raised section on the side for me at 97 cm.

Fits everybody just fine.

Now I just have to get rid of the dust.