When will the drownings stop? Another four young children die in weir in Surin

webfact

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

There is nothing in the news story that suggests they vould not swim.

A very high percentage of kids (& adults) in Isaan cannot swim. When I lived in a small Isaan village, there was (unfortunately) a number of similar incidents

4 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

A very high percentage of kids (& adults) in Isaan cannot swim. When I lived in a small Isaan village, there was (unfortunately) a number of similar incidents

Through my iwn experiences I would disagree. Our house is opposite a canal and we have avlarge pond behind our house. Kids always playing andcswimming in the water.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 1:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

We used to take ‘life saving’ in the UK... half of the classes were always dry side... 

Taught first aid, CPR, electrical safety etc  as well as life saving itself... 

Then there was the pools side classes which taught us to use clothing etc to stay afloat

I remember those also, Personal Survival courses in the 60s?  I think I've got a certificate somewhere!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 9/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, jak2002003 said:

Young children with no adult supervision, swimming in a weir, some can't swim, riding illegally on a motor bike. 99% did not have crash helmets........

Then families and people are surprised and heartbroken asking how something like this could happen...even after they know full well children are drowning each year or getting killed in motorbike accident s? What is wrong with people?! 

Most of the people dont think of the possible consequences that is one of the fundamental problems. Swimming classes maybe should be an integral part of every school.

• Like 1