When will the drownings stop? Another four young children die in weir in Surin

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Four dead!

Daily News reported yet another mass drowning of young children in the North Eastern region of the country.

It was a reminder in a country where motorcycle accidents now rival death from drowning, that in years past drowning was always the number one cause of death in children under 15. 

Pol Capt Kowit Thongphen of the Kap Choeng police in Surin were called after four children aged 10-12 went missing while swimming.

Six children had gone swimming to celebrate after a ceremony in the village to celebrate the building of a new tarmac road into the community.

Four had gone swimming while two remained on the bank. These two couldn't swim and were helpless.

They rushed off on a motorcycle to alert village elders but by then it was too late.

The story did not explain in any detail what exactly happened to the children.

Divers fished out the bodies some while later.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

As relatives gathered and consoled each other on the bank there were heartfelt scenes as rescue workers helped the bereaved and administered first aid to people who fainted in grief.

Such a tragedy after the happy cultural event in the village must have been traumatizing. 

A picture published by Daily News showed the tragic scene yesterday. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

People who don’t want to make sure their children become excellent swimmers when they begin to walk, shouldn’t be having kids. 
ESPECIALLY if they live near water. 
  It only takes two or three minutes for tragedy to happen in water to a child who does not know drown-proofing or how to swim. Or ANYONE who doesn’t know drown-proofing or know how to swim. 
 There is not much sadder than pulling the limp, lifeless, not breathing body of a little boy or girl out of the water, And then the family has to make funeral arrangements. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition.

1 minute ago, Catoni said:

People who don’t want to make sure their children become excellent swimmers when they begin to walk, shouldn’t be having kids. 

They would love to if swimming classes were even around their area or for free, but kids would stil drown, due to the lack of proper supervision. Plenty of them drown even they could swim.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

I just had to look up what a weir was... But I remember getting a bit to close to one in Indonesia, in a place for tourists where they rent inflated tires to swim down stream, and the current close to the weir is quite strong. Locals started shouting and waving hands, and I managed to reach the shore despite by poor swimming skills. The weir was two or three meters high, and falling on the rocks on the other side would have definitely hurt or more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They would love to if swimming classes were even around their area or for free, but kids would stil drown, due to the lack of proper supervision. Plenty of them drown even they could swim.

I might be wrong, but I bet a lot less would drown if they knew how to swim. 
     You don’t need professional swimming classes. Anyone who knows how to swim can teach a kid to swim.   Just like anyone who knows how to read can teach reading.  (I taught my own three children to read fluently before they started grade 1 using a $30 book on phonics) 

I would have taught them how to swim myself, but we had a YMCA just a bit of a drive away. They learned how to swim shortly after beginning to walk. They even had “water babies” classes before that.. to learn to relax in 10 foot deep water and roll over on their back and float. A life saving skill for babies.  
  Parents could teach their kids to swim in any shallow slow moving little river or creek.  You do not need a swimming pool. 
   When I became a parent….to me the most important responsibilities was, make sure they learn to swim, make sure they learn to read, make sure they learn to safely cross the street, make sure they say “No” and run from strangers, make sure they respect the police, make sure they learn to floss and brush and care for their teeth. And get them regular health checkups. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 2

"When will the drownings stop?"

When they give swimming lessons.

I realize that is unrealistic, but an hour at school -  with parents attending - discussing water safety would hopefully discourage some from swimming alone without an adult swimmer present and watching them.

But then it is clear that the under 15 year old kids drove off to get help on a motorcycle. 

i assume the parents knew, so is there any hope to stop needless deaths of children here?

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Young children with no adult supervision, swimming in a weir, some can't swim,

When I was young we used to go swinging on a rope tied to a tree above a river. Nobody ever mentioned not being able to swim and I am sure my parents never knew.

Only difference being we cycled there.

Edited by VocalNeal

When will the drownings stop?

It will stop when adults take their responsibilities towards children seriously and supervise the heck out of them. Also goes for kids left in vehicles and all kinds of other predicaments. The parents may think that if the kids are going to swim with a group, they would be all right - but nope... They need to be supervised, if the parents can't do that for whatever reason, then the kids can't go swimming.

20 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

It will stop when adults take their responsibilities towards children seriously and supervise the heck out of them. Also goes for kids left in vehicles and all kinds of other predicaments. The parents may think that if the kids are going to swim with a group, they would be all right - but nope... They need to be supervised, if the parents can't do that for whatever reason, then the kids can't go swimming.

Licence to drive

Should be licence to have a child 

I have never understood the aversion Thais have to both learning how to swim, and teaching, or making sure their kids get taught how to swim. It takes 15 minutes to learn basic survival skills in water. 15 minutes!

A friend of mine told me he offered to teach a friend's daughter how to swim, in his pool, when they were over the house. The grandmother was so scared, she forbade it. And it was totally safe. So easy, so simple to learn. Fear can be an incredible thing, and it can be your worst enemy, if you let it.

There is so much water here, it should be mandated learning in school. 

Edited by spidermike007

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Implement swimmingclasses in the primary schools and get the parents of their phones and watch their kids....

60 years ago we had swimming lessons once a week for 11 and 12 year olds. Mind you we only had about a 1/2 kilometer from school to walk.

It's going to be a lot harder here  when public swimming pools are almost non existent and private ones (hotels) wouldn't what a lot of local kids in their pools.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Young children with no adult supervision, swimming in a weir, some can't swim, riding illegally on a motor bike. 99% did not have crash helmets........

Then families and people are surprised and heartbroken asking how something like this could happen...even after they know full well children are drowning each year or getting killed in motorbike accident s? What is wrong with people?! 

No brains?

• Like 1