30 Baht Insurance Coverage in case of Motorbike accident (No periodical technical inspection, No Taxes payed, No compulsory insurance)

Luckyman999

Some days ago I got a request from my lovely girlfriend to cover the costs of a accident. The case: Her 12 year old daughter in rural Isaan went with the old Motorbike of her family to the school. The motorbike slide away and in this accident her daughter broke the lower leg. No third party involved. The bill for some days in the public hospital: 18.000 Baht. Now my lovely girlfriend told me that I have to cover the costs. The reason:  The Thai public health Insurance scheme  (her family are poor farmers) dont cover the costs for accidents which are caused by Motorbikes without insurance. IS THIS THE TRUTH?

IMO there is no way a Thai public hospital should be charging 18,000 baht for a Thai citizen's broken leg, irrespective of the circumstances.

In your shoes, I would be asking my GF to show me the bill from the hospital.

If she can't or won't, she is trying it on. It then depends on what value you put on the relationship, and if you are prepared to accept being lied to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO there is no way a Thai public hospital should be charging 18,000 baht for a Thai citizen's broken leg, irrespective of the circumstances.

I agree .. but how can I prove? Anyone here in the forum has experience?

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In your shoes, I would be asking my GF to show me the bill from the hospital.

If she can't or won't, she is trying it on

Yes .... I asked also for the bill ... item pending ....

7 minutes ago, Luckyman999 said:

If you have the bill let a Thai speaker call the hospital and confirm that the bill is from them.

You could also post the bill here (remove personal details) to get the opinion of other members.

If you decide to pay for it only pay directly to the hospital.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luckyman999 said:

Yes .... I asked also for the bill ... item pending ....

Bear in mind it is quite common for a farang to be asked to help out with a large bill in a Thai family. That's based on the assumption we are all rich. I was asked to put in 10,000 baht to the funeral of my GF's father, it cost about 30,000 baht and was all about maintaining face with the neighbors.

I am also contributing to the cost of her grand-daughter's education, I know the parents have no money.

Having said that, my GF has learned from early experience it is not a good idea to lie to me.

• Like 2

Guess you have to understand if you are stumping up for the associated 'accident' costs 

Motorcycle repairs, new uniform, perhaps phone smashed, perhaps as stated above private room, food costs, maybe other medical checks if any head injury, or scrapes and bruises elsewhere, maybe pick up, transport to the hospital 

I guess all that rolled into 'money for hospital' request would not make it so expensive 

• Like 2

I don't know the legal details, but it might be true that the 30B insurance, or even a normal employee insurance, does not pay if a motorcycle was involved.

Some time ago I rode slowly with my motorcycle with my gf on the back of the bike. With very slow speed we collided with another bike and my gf fell down. It was not really clear who was responsible. I agreed with the other rider that we don't blame each other.

A little later my gf told me her leg hurt. Ok, let's go to the hospital. There the doctor looked at it and then the question came up: how did it happen? And the moment when she told them she fell from a motorcycle they wanted to know lots of info about that bike. We didn't have any info because we didn't write down any license plate number of name of the guy or insurance company.

Then they wanted to know my name and insurance and and and. I didn't see a reason to give them that information, I thought she has a health insurance and that's it, that insurance will pay. But they repeatedly asked again and again for that info.

I have to admit I forgot what we did at the end, this was years ago. But it seems that they want to get money from the motorcycle insurance. I don't know what happens if there is no such insurance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Guess you have to understand if you are stumping up for the associated 'accident' costs 

Motorcycle repairs, new uniform, perhaps phone smashed, perhaps as stated above private room, food costs, maybe other medical checks if any head injury, or scrapes and bruises elsewhere, maybe pick up, transport to the hospital 

I guess all that rolled into 'money for hospital' request would not make it so expensive 

That is a good point. Whenever someone from the family visits the doctor the doctor is free. But the transport to and from that doctor has to be paid. And maybe some medication and other supplies are not part of what any insurance pays.

why I open this item? Its first time I have the impression my girlfriend wants to rip me off... I assume its not her idea ..but her extended family... because sometimes I was too generous. I just know my girlfriend some month .. before everything was ok... until I went for some time to germany and gave her a bigger amount of money for her expenses and family support .. (she is 31 years old..but I send her back to school .. massage and english) .. as I leave end of July I gave her in total in advance around (3*15.000 for August, September, October) and ..as her family visit us .. their children get our "Saving Pork" money of around 7.000 Baht and a little extra also... so in total nearly 60.000 .. and now all money is gone???? mmhhhh ..something fishy ....

again ..my girlfriend is not bad.. in my opinion .. but her family ... I dont know... 

1 minute ago, Luckyman999 said:

and now all money is gone???? mmhhhh ..something fishy

It doesn't have to be fishy.

If you give a poor Thai person 60,000B then many will have this feeling that that is soooooo much money that it can't possibly be spent in no time.

If you would have explained to her that you give her 700B per day, then she would have understood that that is a limited amount. Mathematics, even basic mathematics, is not really a strength of many people here.

Some time ago I gave cash to my gf every couple of days, or maybe once a week. Not because I don't trust her, but she will more likely spend money if she has 10000B in her pocket compared to 1000B. And I am sure that is the case for many of the girls.

Now I think it depends on how much you love her and how much you can afford and how much you might blame yourself for giving her a lot of money without explaining to her that so much money is not really so much money if it should be good for 3 months.

Maybe it's just something you both had to learn. Or maybe she wants all your money. Both are possibilities. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

It is unlikely that you would be ripped off for 18,000 (only). When I was asked for help with two very recent funerals it was 50,000 and then 100,000. I gave both even though I knew that one person had funeral plan cover. 

Even with funeral cover that doesn't mean that money will be paid a day or two after the death. It's normal that someone has to advance that money before (maybe) it will be returned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Even with funeral cover that doesn't mean that money will be paid a day or two after the death. It's normal that someone has to advance that money before (maybe) it will be returned. 

Spot on! My Mrs posted on Facebook the insurance company guy presenting her with a giant cheque (you know the sort of thing) for 100,000. I was amazed that it was, in fact, only a few days after the death. 

If you pay direct into the hospital bank account its more likely to be legit. This is often harder than it sounds, my kids school fees for example do not go into an official school account for some reason. 

Lying and making up stories to get money from farang is a bit of a game for some, they do not see it as wrong in any way as farang can afford it. Downside is when some emergency does actually happen they have cried wolf too many times, hope that's not the case here.

• Like 1

you all mention good points ..thank you. I gave her in total something around 60.000 baht for 3 month .. was also her birthday included .. and yes .. I tried to be genereous at her birthday.. she never had a birthday party in her life .. her family and her kids have been never at the sea .. never holiday... and this was not a lie.  this generousity was maybe a mistake .. but everyone make mistake .. and now I guess she make a big mistake .. I think she tried to fool me .. this is not a good idea ..the story goes on ...

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

There would be no charge for a Thai child going into a public hospital--regardless of the circumstances. 

And even  if there was, I had 4 nights 2 blood transfusions in Khon Kaen public cost 14,000 baht

Do Thai people pay the same rate as foreigners in a public government hospital? 

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Do Thai people pay the same rate as foreigners in a public government hospital? 

In most government hospitals yes, same rate for Thais and foreigners.

There are some who have dual pricing, but these are usually in tourist hotspots, not a village hospital in nakhon nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Luckyman999 said:

why I open this item? Its first time I have the impression my girlfriend wants to rip me off... I assume its not her idea ..but her extended family... because sometimes I was too generous. I just know my girlfriend some month .. before everything was ok... until I went for some time to germany and gave her a bigger amount of money for her expenses and family support .. (she is 31 years old..but I send her back to school .. massage and english) .. as I leave end of July I gave her in total in advance around (3*15.000 for August, September, October) and ..as her family visit us .. their children get our "Saving Pork" money of around 7.000 Baht and a little extra also... so in total nearly 60.000 .. and now all money is gone???? mmhhhh ..something fishy ....

again ..my girlfriend is not bad.. in my opinion .. but her family ... I dont know... 

It is not uncommon for families to put pressure on a farang's GF/wife to provide money for their support. To them, we are all ATM's. Why work, if you can bludge off a farang?

I used to give my GF's father small amounts of money for doing gardening. I also hand out gifts of money at Christmas time.

I've found unless I set boundaries with Thai people, they will usually attempt to expand them.

1 hour ago, Luckyman999 said:

birds of the feather flock together... it's on their DNA

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It is not uncommon for families to put pressure on a farang's GF/wife to provide money for their support. To them, we are all ATM's. Why work, if you can bludge off a farang?

I used to give my GF's father small amounts of money for doing gardening. I also hand out gifts of money at Christmas time.

I've found unless I set boundaries with Thai people, they will usually attempt to expand them.

Good point, it takes understanding to appreciate the pressure applied to a Thai lady connected to a farang, the sense of duty to family is drilled into them throughout their formative years, no hesitation in using this, after all that is the objective 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Good point, it takes understanding to appreciate the pressure applied to a Thai lady connected to a farang, the sense of duty to family is drilled into them throughout their formative years, no hesitation in using this, after all that is the objective 

I agree.

The girl will always get pressure. Pressure from the family to bring more money. And pressure from the farang to spend less money (on the family).

She is often in the bad situation to decide which pressure is easier to handle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

In most government hospitals yes, same rate for Thais and foreigners.

There are some who have dual pricing, but these are usually in tourist hotspots, not a village hospital in nakhon nowhere.

how can they charge the same, Thai's are free as long as it's their registered hospital, Non Thai's pay