Old City

Sparktrader

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

You in bkk?

Yeah, I've stayed behind Siam Square, behind the Royal Palace, and now I'm staying a bit of North Khao San Road. It's shocking how chill it can be just a km from a high traffic neighborhood in this town. 

I want a low-rise mix of old teak, 70's aquamarine concrete, and fake-Roman new builds with some old growth trees.

This area has the most old teak I've seen so far so close in, so I'm now 50/50 on this versus Old City Chiang Mai -where there's not an awful lot of rental inventory. Plus the hipster restaurant selection here is mega. And the river is close.

I'm def going to check out the other side of the river and Nonthburi. If I can get a bit more green shade -and possibly rent a teak house-  and a good train connection to Bangkok, that's prob my long term choice. Having a little patch to grow some veg and flowers within the city limits seems doable.

I also want to check out a few boat stops going north. The further out I go tho, the more pressing learning some Thai becomes. 

Edited by LaosLover

And across from the CHUM restaurant, there's a Korean restaurant (lunch only) serving stinky tofu, which is not that stinky and very hard to find outside of Korea.

Around the corner from Wat Yu near CHUM is a very dark wood interior, ancient vegetarian restaurant with super-cheap lunches. Best vegan Khao Soi I've had to date. The shredded tofu tastes like chicken. 

So you're walking from CHUM past Wat Yu, then making a right at the corner, Maybe 6-8 stores north.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:27 PM, Sparktrader said:

Never seen so many hipsters.

Or no  “hipsters” at all.

It is now a fashion has been for going on two decades. Your beard grooming, neo beatnik, is as likely to be a digital nomad, glam packer, backpacker, traveler, new young expat brigade, ex military, hard right maga conspiracy theory mumbler, as a real honest to god hipster, if they still exist. It’s like saying people are hippies if they have long hair. Somewhere post 1971, having long hair became a fashion, not a social group designator. Same for hipsters & groomed facial hair.

Edited by LomSak27

11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Or no  “hipsters” at all.

It is now a fashion has been for going on two decades. Your beard grooming, neo beatnik, is as likely to be a digital nomad, glam packer, backpacker, traveler, new young expat brigade, ex military, hard right maga conspiracy theory mumbler, as a real honest to god hipster, if they still exist. It’s like saying people are hippies if they have long hair. Somewhere post 1971, having long hair became a fashion, not a social group designator. Same for hipsters & groomed facial hair.

Ponytail modern age dreamer

I dont know

Im too cool type thing

• Haha 1