O Visa Criminal Records Check

I have searched extensively, but cannot find an answer to our specific situation. My wife and I, both American, plan to retire to Thailand in 2011. Her retirement income alone will qualify for the 65K per month requirement. Mine will be half that. I have learned that she qualifies in every respect for the retirement visa, but what are the requirements for me as her spouse?

I am specifically concerned with the criminal records check. I have a record, not extensive, but serious. It was long enough ago that a cursory internet background check reveals no record, but I assume a Live Scan fingerprint-keyed, agency check would reveal the record.

If I am the spouse, do I have to go through the check, or would it just be for my wife? Does it have to be a Live Scan agency check? If I apply for an 'O' visa while in Thailand is that requirement waived?

I don't want to circumvent any procedures, or get around any rules. I just don't want to waste time, effort and money on trying to retire in Thailand if it's not going to be possible. It's our first choice and we would be disappointed, but there are other options.

Thanks for any help with this. I just found the forum and already have learned a lot.

BTW, I'm a pretty good guy these days, and have been living a responsible, productive life and making positive contributions to society for a long time now, just in case anyone is wondering if I would make a good neighbor. I would.

Thanks for the quick replies! And the welcome news.

We will be continuing to visit on 30 day visa waivers for the next several years. When we make the move, would it be best to arrive on a 30 day waiver, then apply for the long term visas, and then the retirement visa? We are already both over 50.

Or arrive on 90 day visas, and proceed from there with the retirement visa?

Obtain the 90 day Non Imm visa based on your wish to retire

and then extend the visa once you arrive.

No criminal checks required.

As long as your wife can meet the financial requirements that will be sufficient,

your visa extension will be linked to your wife's with no further financial evidence required,

only your marriage certificate.

When we make the move, would it be best to arrive on a 30 day waiver, then apply for the long term visas, and then the retirement visa?

As Thai immigration law stands right now get a Multiple Non-O-Visa from i.e. Huston or Denver. This not only gives you 12 months (in fact 15 months, if activated again before expiry date) enough time to ponder, but will be the ideal start for retirement once inside the country. And as far as I know a 30 day waiver does not qualify for seeking retirement.

No a 30 day visa exempt stamp does not qualify for retirement. Nor does any visa other than an O-A. But if you visit Immigration with 2,000 baht they can issue a non immigrant O visa if you have the qualifications for retirement; and then you can use that for long stay/retirement.

But as said best to have the non immigrant O visa and save the extra paperwork.

When we make the move, would it be best to arrive on a 30 day waiver, then apply for the long term visas, and then the retirement visa?

As Thai immigration law stands right now get a Multiple Non-O-Visa from i.e. Huston or Denver. This not only gives you 12 months (in fact 15 months, if activated again before expiry date) enough time to ponder, but will be the ideal start for retirement once inside the country. And as far as I know a 30 day waiver does not qualify for seeking retirement.

Sunbelt have reported that it is possible to obtain an O visa in Thailand having entered on a 30day stamp which can then be etended to a full year. But I agree that entering on a 90 day O visa (single or multi) is the best option.

Referring to the OP original post he says he does not want to circumvent the Rules. In fact as he has a serious conviction he would be entering unlawfully. He will have no problem entering and he will certainly not be alone. But he needs to be aware not to disclose that information to anyone when here.

Actually there is a form specifically used for obtaining a non immigrant visa from a visa exempt entry (TM.87) and a first person account from Mai Sai was posted in the last few days. It is being done on a regular basis this year.

I understand the North of Thailand is an extremely nice place to retire.

That is the plan.

Sunbelt have reported that it is possible to obtain an O visa in Thailand having entered on a 30day stamp which can then be etended to a full year. But I agree that entering on a 90 day O visa (single or multi) is the best option.

Referring to the OP original post he says he does not want to circumvent the Rules. In fact as he has a serious conviction he would be entering unlawfully. He will have no problem entering and he will certainly not be alone. But he needs to be aware not to disclose that information to anyone when here.

I guess that was somewhat disingenuous.

How could it not be circumventing the rules to find out how to retire to Thailand having had a criminal conviction? Somehow it felt like if I could get around the check, it wasn't an issue.

Classic rationalization.

Also, a year ago I (an American) entered Thailand on a visa waiver stamp, converted to an O visa as lopburi3 mentions, and ended up with a one-year extension for retirement. My experience is detailed on The express lane to a Thai Retirement Visa within Thailand and I know the process still exists and works today.

That said, however, Lite Beer has a good point that retirement in 2011 could be completely different

• 2 weeks later...
Also, a year ago I (an American) entered Thailand on a visa waiver stamp, converted to an O visa as lopburi3 mentions, and ended up with a one-year extension for retirement. My experience is detailed on The express lane to a Thai Retirement Visa within Thailand and I know the process still exists and works today.

That said, however, Lite Beer has a good point that retirement in 2011 could be completely different

Many thanks for a very informative and interesting summation of how to go about obtaining a retirement visa. I will try your method and hopefully get the same result (even though I'm an Aussie). :o

• 8 months later...
An OA visa can not be issued without a police clearance. It is a requirement.

An OA provides a one year stay in Thailand upon entry.

An O provides a 90 day stay in Thailand upon entry.

Sawatdee khrap! :D ... Anyone still home? :o Just snooping around in here after a recent tourist stamp visit (stayed a couple weeks) and now I'm considering a retirement move but the "criminal record" definition is so vague, what kind of thing rises to the level of trouble on a criminal record printout? Jail-time? Jay-walking? An old DWI? Is this check suppose to be an FBI record check? I read "county of residence" someplace or is it a "state" record check?...I have nothing serious that I didn't do my dues on; restitution and successfully completed (required) probation many years ago (a DWI 11+ years ago :D , no accident/noone hurt but DWI's are considered serious just about everywhere nowadays and for good reason). Can anyone clarify a bit please? Just where am I suppose to get my record copy from anyway? Fed?, State?, County? or City where I live? :D

Thanks for the forum :D and I hope I can go back to stay longer as in retirement status as I qualify all other ways w/o any doubt(s)

Laa gaawn` na'

MaiThaiMai

Sawatdee khrap! :D ... Anyone still home? :o Just snooping around in here after a recent tourist stamp visit (stayed a couple weeks) and now I'm considering a retirement move but the "criminal record" definition is so vague, what kind of thing rises to the level of trouble on a criminal record printout? Jail-time? Jay-walking? An old DWI? Is this check suppose to be an FBI record check? I read "county of residence" someplace or is it a "state" record check?...I have nothing serious that I didn't do my dues on; restitution and successfully completed (required) probation many years ago (a DWI 11+ years ago :D , no accident/noone hurt but DWI's are considered serious just about everywhere nowadays and for good reason). Can anyone clarify a bit please? Just where am I suppose to get my record copy from anyway? Fed?, State?, County? or City where I live? :D

Thanks for the forum :D and I hope I can go back to stay longer as in retirement status as I qualify all other ways w/o any doubt(s)

Laa gaawn` na'

MaiThaiMai

If you are worried, come and do it all from within Thailand. No police check needed.

A fairly simple procedure.

Laa gaawn` na'

MaiThaiMai

If you are worried, come and do it all from within Thailand. No police check needed.

A fairly simple procedure.

Sawatdee khrap! B) Thanks for the quick reply :D ...I am very concerned because I will be selling my condo to satisfy the 800,000 baht-in-bank-to-retire-requirement, I really don't want a big move ever again (the big move; furnishings and all thing, I'm downsizing and simplifying for the "olden" years...) so I have a real estate liquidation broker meetig tomorrow for several options; to take it all one price including condo+all or some other "package deals" on collectables, furnishings, things of value etc. The last thing I need is something petty from my past (petty in the big picture of course). If this record thing is not a hanger it sounds as if the way the visa rules are today (always subject to change too I read) I can go on a temp 30-day tourist stamp, apply for the "O", ride it our until 21 days are left out of the 90 and then apply for retirement -eh? I guess my only other concern would be the 90-days-800,000-baht-in-bank-requirement prior to retirement extension approval and making sure it's there long enough. So, If I sell my place, deposit the baht in Bankok Bank immediately, I'll need to hang my hat for 90 days someplace and don't want to rent here at home, I'd rather condo-shop there :D did all that make sense or am I wrong-stepping the visa type/timeline move someplace? I very much apprciate your input...

Khaawp khoon khrap... :D

MaiThaiMai

Without a visa you may not even be allowed on the plane. Get at least a tourist visa before you travel. That, with the conversion, should take care of the 3 months if you transfer the money soon after arrival. Also be sure to set up a wire transfer agreement with your bank before you leave so you don't have to return to make the money transfer.

Without a visa you may not even be allowed on the plane. Get at least a tourist visa before you travel. That, with the conversion, should take care of the 3 months if you transfer the money soon after arrival. Also be sure to set up a wire transfer agreement with your bank before you leave so you don't have to return to make the money transfer.

Sa`wat`dee khrap'! :D Thanks fo the reply. My concern now is the 90-days-800K-baht-in-Thai-Bank prior to retirment extesion grant by coming over as a 30-day tourist, getting an O visa then auhorizing a sale of my condo assets while I am away. I have a meeting set up with an estate liquidator tomorrow to number-crunch and I would prearrange to sell-all for one check if so decided from Thailand once all else lines-up, then get the funds into a Thai Bank to beat the all deadlines, this 800K baht Thaimeline dance may be too much of a Thaitrope :o I'll probably have go back over back as tourist then apply for extended visit and double-make sure I want to sellout for retirement status after taking bigger culture dip and a 20-hour Thai language class I heard about for 6,000 baht to see how much more I can pick up and how quick, my short term memory is :D tho I'm up for the challenge. I heard rumor of visa(s) possibly coming avaiable online soon? I really don't want to travel out of state to the nearest Thai Consulate to get a visa before I go :D , that's just not going to be an option at this point.

Khaawp` :D

MaiThaiMai

You got your visa by mail. There is no 30 day tourist visa for Americans. A tourist visa will allow you a 60 day stay and can be extended 30 days - as you also have to obtain a non immigrant for the extension and that allows an additional 60-90 days you should have plenty of time to get the money aged.

You got your visa by mail. There is no 30 day tourist visa for Americans. A tourist visa will allow you a 60 day stay and can be extended 30 days - as you also have to obtain a non immigrant for the extension and that allows an additional 60-90 days you should have plenty of time to get the money aged.

Thanks for the reply, I see we are getting 30-day tourist "stamps" and the dozen or so visa options mixed-in/up. I've never had a visa of any kind other than my 30-day stamp on my passport for my vacation to Thailand recently. This part of this thread actually belongs someplace else as I see other forum areas for this kind discussion, I'll snoop through there for awhile later. The original reason I asked here I was wondering on the "criminal record" ***definition*** per a long stay visas to Thailand, I have no felonies or anything I would even consider serious especially nothing involving violence, never have and no plans to start, but I have no doubt if I ran a check on my adult legal history the *WORD* "criminal" will show on my record because of a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) over decade ago. What I don't know is what is unacceptable under the definition of "criminal record" per O visas? Same words mean different things in different countries. If you have any input as to if a DWI 11+ years ago is going to cause me problems in retirement visa terms I'd like to hear it and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

Thanks for the follow-up once again... :o

MaiThaiMai

Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand (I have never seen a list of exceptions) :

(6) Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations.

Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter Thailand (I have never seen a list of exceptions) :
(6) Having been imprisoned by judgment of the Thai Court; or by lawful injunction or judgment of the Court of a foreign country, except for when the penalty is for a petty offence, or negligence, or is provided for as an exception by the Ministerial Regulations.

I think that pretty much answers the concern as I have never been judged, convicted and sent to prison (imprisoned by order of any court anywhere). Our laws these days have a mandatory 1-day jail time for today's DWI unfortunates but not for me there either so I seem to be an acceptable farang ...thank you very much, it was really eating at me...

Many thanks...lotsa other stuff to go read (more of) in the forum...it's a great resource and thanks for your involvement in help making it posible for a n00b :o to get unn00b'd :D

Bye...

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D