Where to get Grass Fed and Grass Finished Beef around Chiang Mai

sawademe

22 hours ago, jij said:

https://www.facebook.com/cmbeef/

https://paleorobbie.com

Makro has ground grass fed beef

Thanks for sharing, I was aware of these 3 and I'm grateful they exist, but I was hoping there was a local source which I wasn't aware of rather than sourcing from overseas.

I wish I could just buy some cows here and some land to provide a healthy, local source of meat. Might be a red tape nightmare though.

Pon Yang Kham -  Thai/French Butcher. Only beef products.

Canal Road just south of the Huay Khao intersection on the west side.

They supply many of the hotels and restaurants in the city. You can order anything from one steak to a side of beef.

Excellent quality IMO

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, orang37 said:

With due respect for the gravitas of this important health moovement: where around here would cattle find grass to eat ? Have you seen any meadows ?

Meadows aren't required for small holder farm production, if there's a demand for quality beef to be shipped from thousands of miles away then a local supply would be advantageous for many reasons ( especially as energy costs continue to rise for the forseeable future).

Edited by sawademe

4 hours ago, sawademe said:

Meadows aren't required for small holder farm production, if there's a demand for quality beef to be shipped from thousands of miles away then a local supply would be advantageous for many reasons ( especially as energy costs continue to rise for the forseeable future).

I'm glad you have a rich fantasy life, and wish you all the best with your future career as a cattle rancher ! Perhaps your lack of experience with cattle, agriculture, and veterinary science, will work for you.

Surely the heifers and steers you raise for meat will put the scrawny local pathetic cattle I've seen to shame ... no disrespect to the few local cows I've seen who look okay.

cheers, ~o:37;

• Like 1

Rimping near the Nawarat Bridge seems to have a fairly big range of beef, although the staff will probably tell you what they think you want to hear when you ask if it is local grass-fed.

AFAIK Thailand does not have feedlot operations for cattle.

I buy local beef occasionally, fairly tough.

• Thanks 2

On 9/17/2022 at 8:06 AM, sawademe said:

Thanks for sharing, I was aware of these 3 and I'm grateful they exist, but I was hoping there was a local source which I wasn't aware of rather than sourcing from overseas.

I wish I could just buy some cows here and some land to provide a healthy, local source of meat. Might be a red tape nightmare though.

sorry to rain on your parade but as mentioned by others,  Thai/French beef is rubbish .....  it's tough, chewy and nothing like a good hereford steak or an angus steak.

Thai's don't know enough about cattle production and stock management, veterinary requirements, stock feed knowledge, grain production and harvesting. 

Take a look ...   Australian beef ...

image.png.64b9cbee26be4ad83163e5672d28d7f8.png

and Thai beef ...

image.png.4fc0c15704256a199279aaab8ccf9a70.png

On 9/19/2022 at 9:06 AM, ohpont said:

I do the same with the free range pork of Nong Bua Lamphu, fresh of the day.

By the way, every meat can become tough if you cook it wrong...

Very interesting; is there any place in CM I can buy some extra-lean pork and have it minced/diced/ground ?

And, any cooking tips you care to share for ground pork to make it as tender as possible ? Right now I bake it wrapped in tin-foil, with hard to control results.

Maybe higher fat content is better for getting "tender" ?

Actually, I think most beef raised in Thailand is grass fed. That's one reason it tends to be kind of tough and low in fat. You can usually tell if cattle are grass fed because the fat tends to be yellow because of the carotene in the grass.  Feeding cattle grain or soybean is expensive.  Prohibitively so for most Thais who generally don't have muich use for beef anyway.  The beef rimping offers is raised to American standards. It's called KU because the way it's raised has something to do with an agricultural school called K********* University. Which should mean that these cattle spend some of their lives in feedlots where they eat grain and/or soybeans. The beef tastes like American beef that is available in American supermarkets.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 11:00 AM, ohpont said:

Ground pork wrapped in tin-foil and baked? Please let me know what you do after ( cook with or eat with) as i am not familiar with that, then i can try to share my tricks...

Thanks, after baking, I chop the pork up and mix with canned mushroom soup; I do this because permanent deformation of my lower tongue and esophagus post cancer treatment makes it difficult to swallow.

If I could afford a sous vide, I'd get one ????

Ok, so I think the most appropriate will be the Bica

Treatment.

Cover the chopped pork with water and Soda Bicarbonate and let it soak for 15 to 20 minutes,

more doesn't change anything.

A pound of meat and 2 teaspoons of Bica, can be

reduce to one...Then wash it and dry it and cook it in a Teflon pan or wok, so you don't have to add any fat, if you don't like.

Then you can season it, add some herbs or spices, a drop of brandy or some white wine, fresh chopped parsley, etc. etc. That way you don't have

the same taste every time. If you had some flour at the beginning, it will absorb the fat and do a liaison, your soup will become thicker and richer, and a little sugar will help caramelize the meat.

Let us know the result please and Bon Appetit.

surinfarm.com has been recommended to me by professionals, many different pigs there, they are in Hangdong ([email protected])

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ohpont said:

A pound of meat and 2 teaspoons of Bica, can be reduce to one...

Not quite sure what "reduce to one" means here.

Thanks for the advice ! I'll try that method. I've written to Surin Farm for information.

Sorry try with 2 and reduce to one if tender enough. depending of your meat...

Maybe I shall  recommend filet Mignon (tenderloin of pork) very lean, very tender and I find it at reasonable price here, some places will ground it in front of you. A tip, greenish or brownish color could mean too old or treated with borax which is a no, no. In the other side too white, washed, and to shiny, Tiffany, for make up...

With the Baking Soda, a lot of smell will go away, so lean supermarket minced should fit, when no better!

Cheers And Bon Appetit.

oh

• Thanks 1