Has anyone received a new UK passport recently?

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

but if you apply in good time what's the big deal? the guys who are lousy at planning and leave to last minute type of guys have trouble

We have applied with plenty of time to spare so no worries on that score.

The UK Embassy in BKK used to have a one week turnaround for passports, that was good service. My daughter's Thai passport was delivered to our house within two days of applying, the whole application process was efficient and an excellent experience.

Waiting months for a passport is an appalling indictment of the whole sorry process introduced by the UK Govt. The process for UK residents seems to be almost as bad judging by the number of complaints appearing online.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

We have applied with plenty of time to spare so no worries on that score.

The UK Embassy in BKK used to have a one week turnaround for passports, that was good service. My daughter's Thai passport was delivered to our house within two days of applying, the whole application process was efficient and an excellent experience.

Waiting months for a passport is an appalling indictment of the whole sorry process introduced by the UK Govt. The process for UK residents seems to be almost as bad judging by the number of complaints appearing online.

It's a post covid working from home problem, probably sort itself out in a couple years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Thai wife - obtained her British citizenship recently.

She applied for her first UK passport - which requires additional documents to a simple renewal and a face-to-face interview.

The interview they skipped, notified by email.

From application(incl' sending her Thai passport ) to receipt of UK passport ( from Liverpool ) it took 4 weeks. This was  in the last week.

So not too sloppy !!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My Thai wife - obtained her British citizenship recently.

She applied for her first UK passport - which requires additional documents to a simple renewal and a face-to-face interview.

The interview they skipped, notified by email.

From application(incl' sending her Thai passport ) to receipt of UK passport ( from Liverpool ) it took 4 weeks. This was  in the last week.

So not too sloppy !!

This was applied for from within uk though, right?

OP is asking about applying from Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, edwinchester said:

Just got an email from VFS letting me know my daughter's passport is ready for collection. 12 weeks and 5 days since submitting the application.

After 15 weeks my agent in BKK has my new PP, but I now have a EMS post delivery problem......????

Gate6.jpg.904a81912d0da1929ddb234a343aecbe.jpg

6 minutes ago, transam said:

After 15 weeks my agent in BKK has my new PP, but I now have a EMS post delivery problem......????

Yes, I'm wondering what the traffic is like into BKK right now...may leave it until next week for it to dry out a little.

16 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Just got an email from VFS letting me know my daughter's passport is ready for collection. 12 weeks and 5 days since submitting the application.

Remember, VHS only keep it for you for 30 days, after that it goes back to the UK...

1 hour ago, transam said:

Would it be worth having it held at local Post Office fof you to collect ? Go get it when you can.

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Would it be worth having it held at local Post Office fof you to collect ? Go get it when you can.

Just spoke to our lad, he is Border Patrol Police in Ubon, he told me to EMS it to his office at the Police Station, no water, I hope the agent is OK with that....????

• Like 1

Just picked up daughter's passport from VFS yesterday. The office was very quiet and I was in and out in 5 minutes. The journey in from Kanchanaburi was plain sailing, easiest trip in a long time and I saw no signs of flooding in BKK but then I was on the expressway all the way from before Rangsit. Sukhumvit was remarkably quiet but then wifey was earning merit points in a temple the 3 previous days so according to her Buddha was smiling on us.

VFS did a fine job but wish HMPO could get their act together, 2 days shy of 3 months for delivery of a renewal passport is very poor performance.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:40 PM, transam said:

My postman delivers NAFF all, i got my OZ pp sent to a friend's place, who then sent him to my house, next day i got 3months of undelivered mail 2nd delivery in 2.5 years ! nothing since of course. (7weeks and 4days for new OZ pp)

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

13 weeks and counting since UK Passport Office took the $$$ from my credit card ????

I knew there were delays, but ...

There was a post earlier suggesting to ring HMPO back in the UK. I did just that after 12 weeks and the guy who took the call said he'd do what he could to get it printed asap. It was back in Thailand within a week. Staff on the help desk are as helpful as they can be but we'll aware the current waiting times are absolutely shocking.

• Like 1