Drugs to be an election issue as Anutin digs in insisting that attitudes must change on cannabis

webfact

On 9/19/2022 at 1:01 PM, spidermike007 said:

If the Thai people act rationally, sensibly and if the election is fair, I doubt anyone associated with the current party would get more than 5% of the votes. Anutin is toxic and should be the last person in the world, chosen to lead Thailand. 

So ????????????????????????

Thai people acting rational and sensible all in the same sentence ???????????????????? i

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thaichina said:

That is total BS and shows you know nothing about waht you are talking about.

Maybe you would believe the CDC, though, after noting the "long-lasting mental disorders" (bolded in the quote below), they focus on schizophrenia.

Marijuana use, especially frequently (daily or nearly daily) and in high doses, can cause disorientation and sometimes unpleasant thoughts or feelings of anxiety and paranoia.1

People who use marijuana are more likely to develop temporary psychosis (not knowing what is real, hallucinations, and paranoia) and long-lasting mental disorders, including schizophrenia (a type of mental illness where people might see or hear things that are not really there).2 The association between marijuana and schizophrenia is stronger in people who start using marijuana at an earlier age and use marijuana more frequently.

Marijuana use has also been linked to depression; social anxiety; and thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts, and suicide.1

I do know whereof I speak...but you are unlikely to be persuaded of it if you have a taste for weed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

To a point, perhaps.  But the mental impairments with alcohol are much less permanent, with the exception of memory.  Once sober, a drinker will still have possession of sound logic and judgment.  Marijuana disrupts one's reasoning abilities and its effects are more lasting.

Absolute rubbish ,yet again,  

• Love It 1

On 9/19/2022 at 9:10 AM, phetphet said:

Then perhaps you should tell the police, because they don't seem to know.

What a ridiculous statement ,  There is no need for me to tell the police anything , they get their orders from their  superiors.  they know exactly how things stand  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I am also of the opinion that you have no idea at all what you are talking about ,  You can cut and paste as many meaningless reports and studies as you like It doesn't change the fact that you have no idea ,  Yes there are mentally ill people , yes some of them may have smoked cannabis ,   but the overwhelming majority of mentally ill people have never smoked it,  (maybe they should have)

The argument that mental illness is caused by cannabis is impossible to prove,    Its as illogical as me arguing that I have smoked it for over 40 years and I am not mentally ill,  therefore I owe my sanity to cannabis !!

The only thing that is making me depressed is reading nonsensical posts about cannabis , written by people like you, who have never smoked a joint in their  lives and having read a few biased reports ,  consider themselves experts.

For the record, I am not saying that marijuana causes mental illness (the CDC said that, not me--perhaps they evaluated heavier users).  What it causes, per my personal observations, is not particularly an illness; and it frequently does not exhibit itself in every area of life, but only in some particular area of thought.  In that area, a person can become imbalanced in thinking or judgment--whereas he or she had not exhibited any imbalance in that area prior to marijuana use.  I have not, personally, observed a strong correlation to one's emotional well-being--only to the ability to rationalize, analyze things clearly, and make proper connections.  Post-marijuana use, there is a long-lasting tendency toward mild incoherence on certain subjects, the particular subjects varying from person to person.  The thinking becomes a little "far out" in that area, and attempts to have a rational discussion on that subject may be disappointing.

The memory issues for marijuana use that I have observed have been that memories made prior to the marijuana consumption will be retained, but new memories are made with much greater difficulty--and this effect seems permanent.  This would, obviously, be less than desirable for any student.  Alcohol has a similar effect on memory, but with alcohol, staying dry for 6 months to a year will restore the memory to near full capacity.

In terms of public danger, alcohol trumps marijuana, hands down.  But in terms of permanent alterations to the brain, marijuana is the riskier drug.

As I think about the potential medical connections between the observed symptoms, it occurs to me that marijuana use may be depleting the body's stores of vitamin B12 which is important to nerve activity, being involved in the nerve signaling process.  Prolonged deficiency in B12 is known to cause brain damage, and if not caught early enough, the brain damage will be permanent.  This may, therefore, be the actual mechanism behind the observed results.

That's saying it just like I see it.

• Haha 1

I would suggest that any discussion or attempt at debate on board the ship of fools which is Thai politics is unworthy of attention for more than, say, three-tenths of a second.

Whatever decision they come up with will be the product of ignorance combined with arrogance and personal vanity, and the chance of a generally beneficial outcome is vanishingly small.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

For the record, I am not saying that marijuana causes mental illness (the CDC said that, not me--perhaps they evaluated heavier users).  What it causes, per my personal observations, is not particularly an illness; and it frequently does not exhibit itself in every area of life, but only in some particular area of thought.  In that area, a person can become imbalanced in thinking or judgment--whereas he or she had not exhibited any imbalance in that area prior to marijuana use.  I have not, personally, observed a strong correlation to one's emotional well-being--only to the ability to rationalize, analyze things clearly, and make proper connections.  Post-marijuana use, there is a long-lasting tendency toward mild incoherence on certain subjects, the particular subjects varying from person to person.  The thinking becomes a little "far out" in that area, and attempts to have a rational discussion on that subject may be disappointing.

The memory issues for marijuana use that I have observed have been that memories made prior to the marijuana consumption will be retained, but new memories are made with much greater difficulty--and this effect seems permanent.  This would, obviously, be less than desirable for any student.  Alcohol has a similar effect on memory, but with alcohol, staying dry for 6 months to a year will restore the memory to near full capacity.

In terms of public danger, alcohol trumps marijuana, hands down.  But in terms of permanent alterations to the brain, marijuana is the riskier drug.

As I think about the potential medical connections between the observed symptoms, it occurs to me that marijuana use may be depleting the body's stores of vitamin B12 which is important to nerve activity, being involved in the nerve signaling process.  Prolonged deficiency in B12 is known to cause brain damage, and if not caught early enough, the brain damage will be permanent.  This may, therefore, be the actual mechanism behind the observed results.

Here you go again, you show that you don t know anything about what you are talking about. And I believe my vitamins B12 are ok, thank you for all that BS!

You could not be more wrong and arrogant!

Edited by thaichina
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Well I have smoked for years, I have no memory issues, and I don't know of anybody that considers me to be either "far out"  or "incoherent"  although I have met many people with those characteristics who have never smoked.  I have never taken a vitamin B12 supplement either, or maybe I just don't remember.

One thing that people should remember is there has never been any research commissioned   relating to the positive aspects of cannabis use,  All the research commissioned  and funded by governments is by its very nature preoccupied with highlighting the fictitious negative effects , should any positive effects have been discovered they would never have been published.   

On a slightly different subject but one which nevertheless gives an example is the Uk government some years ago commissioned some research into "ecstasy"  the "experts" decided it was relatively harmless and suggested declassifying it from class A to Class B.   The government decided to ignore the findings of the research,  Why ?   purely because "its drugs innit"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaichina said:

Here you go again, you show that you don t know anything about what you are talking about. And I believe my vitamins B12 are ok, thank you for all that BS!

You could not be more wrong and arrogant!

Would you be interested in seeing the studies that show how vitamin B12 deficiency can cause permanent brain damage?  There is no security in simply believing you are okay.  The brain damage becomes permanent because of a lack of early treatment, and the lack in early treatment is a result of the fact that the individual did not immediately exhibit symptoms of deficiency.  In other words, thinking you are fine is the indirect cause of the permanent damage. 

You might be fine.  I hope so.  But not everyone, and perhaps not you, will be.

10 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I would suggest that any discussion or attempt at debate on board the ship of fools which is Thai politics is unworthy of attention for more than, say, three-tenths of a second.

Whatever decision they come up with will be the product of ignorance combined with arrogance and personal vanity, and the chance of a generally beneficial outcome is vanishingly small.

Are you saying that this is unique to Thai politics ?   You should consider looking a bit further afield , You would see that arrogance, vanity and personal gain is a recurring factor in decisions made by ALL governments

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well I have smoked for years, I have no memory issues, and I don't know of anybody that considers me to be either "far out"  or "incoherent"  although I have met many people with those characteristics who have never smoked.  I have never taken a vitamin B12 supplement either, or maybe I just don't remember.

One thing that people should remember is there has never been any research commissioned   relating to the positive aspects of cannabis use,  All the research commissioned  and funded by governments is by its very nature preoccupied with highlighting the fictitious negative effects , should any positive effects have been discovered they would never have been published.   

On a slightly different subject but one which nevertheless gives an example is the Uk government some years ago commissioned some research into "ecstasy"  the "experts" decided it was relatively harmless and suggested declassifying it from class A to Class B.   The government decided to ignore the findings of the research,  Why ?   purely because "its drugs innit"

While I agree with some of your points here, and I share your distrust of the government always doing the right thing, I have legitimate concerns for those using marijuana.  As I have said, not everyone will be affected identically, and you may be one whose symptoms are less noticeable.  I agree that balanced research is hard to come by, which is why I feel one must have good judgment by which to filter any "study" that may come off the press.  There are myriad reasons why studies can be flawed or compromised by conflicts of interest.  However, there are some very good reasons to steer clear of marijuana.  Time will bear this out here in Thailand as more marijuana-using subjects increase the size of the experimental study group.

I would encourage you to look into the B12 connection and how nervous stimulation (which any drug enhances, including marijuana) will deplete this important vitamin.  If you're interested, I could provide links to some of the studies--but some of it is "medicalese" and not written in laymen's terms.

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Would you be interested in seeing the studies that show how vitamin B12 deficiency can cause permanent brain damage?  There is no security in simply believing you are okay.  The brain damage becomes permanent because of a lack of early treatment, and the lack in early treatment is a result of the fact that the individual did not immediately exhibit symptoms of deficiency.  In other words, thinking you are fine is the indirect cause of the permanent damage. 

You might be fine.  I hope so.  But not everyone, and perhaps not you, will be.

Maybe you are on to something regarding  vitamin B12  deficiency , perhaps you should start a campaign calling for more  public awareness of this, until now, little known condition , perhaps handouts of free B12 supplements  when one buys a bag of weed  or for the benefit of non smokers maybe it could be added to the water supply like fluoride    You could start by telling us all which foods are particularly rich in this vitamin as I am sure its not only cannabis users that may benefit

1 minute ago, AsianAtHeart said:

While I agree with some of your points here, and I share your distrust of the government always doing the right thing, I have legitimate concerns for those using marijuana.  As I have said, not everyone will be affected identically, and you may be one whose symptoms are less noticeable.  I agree that balanced research is hard to come by, which is why I feel one must have good judgment by which to filter any "study" that may come off the press.  There are myriad reasons why studies can be flawed or compromised by conflicts of interest.  However, there are some very good reasons to steer clear of marijuana.  Time will bear this out here in Thailand as more marijuana-using subjects increase the size of the experimental study group.

I would encourage you to look into the B12 connection and how nervous stimulation (which any drug enhances, including marijuana) will deplete this important vitamin.  If you're interested, I could provide links to some of the studies--but some of it is "medicalese" and not written in laymen's terms.

I have  a total distrust of any government ever doing the right thing,  particularly regarding this matter. 

100 years of "reefer madness" propaganda is never going to disappear and still  taints any attempt at reasoned debate or discussion.  It is the basis for all fears and concerns regarding cannabis.

You may well have concerns about people using cannabis but I feel your concerns are disproportionate, you might be better occupied worrying about some of the additives   that are legally added to the things we eat on a daily basis    sugar for example , to name but one

By all means post some links,  maybe you did not mean to appear so , but I find your references to "medicalese" and  "laymen's terms"  somewhat condescending 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

No.

But Thai politics is what we are discussing.

"I would suggest that any discussion or attempt at debate on board the ship of fools which is Thai politics is unworthy of attention for more than, say, three-tenths of a second."

Well the above opening to your  previous post was not indicative of you wanting any sort of  discussion, at least not a discussion that will last longer than three tenths of a second  (your words) It seem you have made your mind up

"Whatever decision they come up with will be the product of ignorance combined with arrogance and personal vanity, and the chance of a generally beneficial outcome is vanishingly small."

and your closing statement above   confirms it.

Anutin is a billionaire businessman , he was rich before entering politics, he is certainly not a fool , He is to be applauded for the recent relaxation of the outdated and repressive cannabis laws.  He is following what is starting to become a well trodden path as more and more enlightened governments choose to ignore the "reefer madness" rhetoric" started by the USA   and  forced on the rest of the world by them.

A trend that was actually started by some of the more forward thinking administrations in the USA itself and will no doubt continue around the world

If Thailand were to continue with the ridiculous ban on cannabis it would mean that the country and the population as a whole would miss out on the financial benefits of a burgeoning market 

Can you even begin to imagine the opposition he must have faced from certain sections of the government in a country that previously had some of the most punitive anti cannabis laws in the world? It is certainly a testament to his tenacity 

The man is a genius, and if he makes a bit of money out of it himself , then so be it, it is further evidence of his business acumen. 

What have you ever done that compares? What is your basis for feeling so superior?

That would be a better way of starting a discussion would it not

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Love It 2

5 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

So ????????????????????????

Thai people acting rational and sensible all in the same sentence ???????????????????? i

I don't think they are any less rational or sensible than anybody else, more so actually, especially when compared to Americans  or Europeans.     Particularly Americans

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Love It 1

On 9/19/2022 at 6:04 AM, arithai12 said:

Where is the "sad" icon when we need it.

Are you seriously suggesting that smoking cannabis recreationally gives permanent effects? You mention 2 of them, and then you say "some of these". So which of the two is permanent, reduced memory or impaired logic? With links to demonstrated medical studies please.

Its not a "sad" emoji we need for comments like that it is nowhere near strong enough, I suggest an emoji of the internationally recognised w anchor  sign

Edited by Bday Prang

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

By all means post some links,  maybe you did not mean to appear so , but I find your references to "medicalese" and  "laymen's terms"  somewhat condescending 

Well, if you have a medical or biology background, this stuff won't be hard to grasp at all.  I just added that caveat to make sure you wouldn't be disappointed and/or think the material was too  mind-boggling to waste time on. 

There are multiple studies published in the NIH online library that address vitamin B12 deficiency and its link to cognitive issues.  Here are a few links, with abstracts and/or excerpts following, to get you started.  (NOTE: I may bold certain parts that are especially pertinent for easier skimming.)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31094486/ (Neurological disorders in vitamin B12 deficiency)

Abstract

The review discusses the steps of vitamin B12 metabolism and its role in maintaining of neurological functions. The term "vitamin B12 (cobalamin)" refers to several substances (cobalamins) of a very similar structure. Cobalamin enters the body with animal products. On the peripherу cobalamin circulates only in binding with proteins transcobalamin I and II (complex cobalamin-transcobalamin II is designated as "holotranscobalamin"). Holotranscobalamin is absorbed by different cells, whereas transcobalamin I-binded vitamin B12 - only by liver and kidneys. Two forms of cobalamin were identified as coenzymes of cellular reactions which are methylcobalamin (in cytoplasm) and hydroxyadenosylcobalamin (in mitochondria). The main causes of cobalamin deficiency are related to inadequate intake of animal products, autoimmune gastritis, pancreatic insufficiency, terminal ileum disease, syndrome of intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Relative deficiency may be seen in excessive binding of vitamin B12 to transcobalamin I. Cobalamin deficiency most significantly affects functions of blood, nervous system and inflammatory response. Anemia occurs in 13-15% of cases; macrocytosis is an early sign. The average size of neutrophils and monocytes is the most sensitive marker of megaloblastic hematopoiesis. The demands in vitamin B12 are particularly high in nervous tissue. Hypovitaminosis is accompanied by pathological lesions both in white and gray brain matter. Several types of neurological manifestations are described: subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord (funicular myelinosis), sensomotor polyneuropathy, optic nerve neuropathy, cognitive disorders. The whole range of neuropsychiatric disorders with vitamin B12 deficiency has not been studied well enough. Due to certain diagnostic difficulties they are often regarded as "cryptogenic", "reactive", "vascular» origin. Normal or decreased total plasma cobalamin level could not a reliable marker of vitamin deficiency. In difficult cases the content of holotranscobalamin, methylmalonic acid / homocysteine, and folate in the blood serum should be investigated besides carefully analysis of clinical manifestations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/ (Effects of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency on brain development in children)

During pregnancy, vitamin B12 is concentrated in the fetus and stored in the liver [4, 5]. Infants born to vitamin B12-replete mothers have stores of vitamin B12 that are adequate to sustain them for the first several months postpartum. Vitamin B12 deficiency rarely occurs before about 4 months of age. Infants of vitamin B12-deficient breastfeeding mothers, or infants receiving low amounts of animal-source foods, may be vulnerable to vitamin B12 deficiency between 6 and 12 months of age. Neurological symptoms appear to affect the central nervous system [6] and, in severe cases, cause brain atrophy. In addition to neurological symptoms, infants may experience other physical symptoms, including abnormal pigmentation, hypotonia, enlarged liver and spleen, sparse hair, food refusal, anorexia, failure to thrive, and diarrhea.

Most of the initial data regarding vitamin B12 deficiency in infancy are from case studies of infants exclusively breastfed by mothers on vegan, vegetarian, or lacto-ovo vegetarian diets. Several authors have described developmental retardation and “infant tremor syndrome” in 4- to 11-month-old infants of vegetarian mothers from India [7, 8]. Four case studies from the United States described lethargy, irritability, and developmental delay among exclusively breastfed infants (ages 6 to 10 months) of vegan or vegetarian mothers [912]. Restoration of developmental skills after therapy was variable, with at least two cases reporting ongoing delays [9, 12], and one reporting developmental recovery [11]. Similar cases have been reported from Europe [1317]. Again, the infants displayed delayed motor skills, along with lethargy, and were exclusively breastfed by mothers who were vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian. After therapy, recovery was variable, with some children remaining moderately or severely retarded [13, 1719].

Here's a more public-oriented article on the subject (layman's terms):

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-Consumer/ (Folate)

Taking large amounts of folate supplements might hide a vitamin B12 deficiency because these supplements can correct the anemia that the vitamin B12 deficiency causes, but not the nerve damage that the vitamin B12 deficiency also causes. The vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to permanent damage of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Large doses of folate supplements might also worsen the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.

As you might glean from the above, getting adequate and/or too much folate (a B-vitamin; also called vitamin M) can prevent a person from realizing that he or she is not getting enough B12--which can lead to brain damage.

The fact is, enervation of the nervous system through overstimulation of any type, which might be through drugs, sex, roller coasters (motion sickness), etc., will deplete vitamin B12 levels. 

To know more about vitamin B12 supplement forms and absorption rates, please refer to what I shared in a separate thread HERE, HERE, and HERE.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, robertson468 said:

Due to smoking cannabis my Grandson developed bi-polar mental illness, which if he does not take his prescribed medication regularly, comes back to haunt him and he gets sectioned in a hospital.  There are different strengths of cannabis and sadly few people are aware of this and that contrary to what this person has written, it can have a detrimental effect on some people, which can be very long lasting.  Further research needs to be done on this drug before Governments give it the blessing for consumption by everyone.

Despite what you choose to believe there can be  no evidence that cannabis caused your grandson to be bipolar, it is only somebody's opinion,  however I understand that you feel the need to blame something, that is a normal reaction 

Everybody knows about different strengths of cannabis  available  but it sounds like you just found out. 

The research you call for  is well overdue , it  should have been done 70+ years ago before people were deprived of this gift from the gods,  and before the opinions of people were tainted with the "reefer madness" propaganda

8 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Well, if you have a medical or biology background, this stuff won't be hard to grasp at all.  I just added that caveat to make sure you wouldn't be disappointed and/or think the material was too  mind-boggling to waste time on. 

There are multiple studies published in the NIH online library that address vitamin B12 deficiency and its link to cognitive issues.  Here are a few links, with abstracts and/or excerpts following, to get you started.  (NOTE: I may bold certain parts that are especially pertinent for easier skimming.)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31094486/ (Neurological disorders in vitamin B12 deficiency)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3137939/ (Effects of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency on brain development in children)

As you might glean from the above, getting adequate and/or too much folate (a B-vitamin; also called vitamin M) can prevent a person from realizing that he or she is not getting enough B12--which can lead to brain damage.

The fact is, enervation of the nervous system through overstimulation of any type, which might be through drugs, sex, roller coasters (motion sickness), etc., will deplete vitamin B12 levels. 

To know more about vitamin B12 supplement forms and absorption rates, please refer to what I shared in a separate thread HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Doesn't look good for pot smoking vegans then  lol   can't say I am surprised  never been a fan of that fad

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

looks like being a vegan is not good when breastfeeding. 

the fact is, enervation of the nervous system through overstimulation of any type, which might be through drugs, sex, roller coasters (motion sickness), etc., will deplete vitamin B12 levels. 

hence the saying   "I <deleted>+k%d her stupid" 

although it would appear it would  more accurately used when speaking in the context of "over a period of time" ,   probably years       as opposed to its current usage which generally implies a single ( often exaggerated) sexual encounter.      And more likely to happen to a   pot smoking , car sick,  vegan 

14 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

To a point, perhaps.  But the mental impairments with alcohol are much less permanent, with the exception of memory.  Once sober, a drinker will still have possession of sound logic and judgment.  Marijuana disrupts one's reasoning abilities and its effects are more lasting.

And what about the permanent damage to the liver caused by daily alcohol consumption? 

If ganga affects the reasoning at all, it is by allowing one to see outside the box, and the extent to which we are being deceived by government, society and popular culture. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And what about the permanent damage to the liver caused by daily alcohol consumption? 

If ganga affects the reasoning at all, it is by allowing one to see outside the box, and the extent to which we are being deceived by government, society and popular culture. 

I think we can all agree that over use (abuse) of anything is not good.  Hell, when I was younger in the 70s we were never told that MacDonalds was bad for your health.  But a steady stream of Rotten Ronnies and Mr. Donut and bars has me a diabetic.

I now many people that exercised 12 hours a week with the military that have many issues.

Smoking a cigar after dinner will not kil you  but if you chain smoke it will

Cigarettes were not legislated as much because they killed but because of their addictive ability with young people.

Alcohol is not restricted not because of it's affects but its addictive abilities.

Marijuana was not that big a deal in the 70s because of marijuana it was because it was the starting point for people to try other drugs,  People have now skipped weed and go directly to crack.

Selling Pot is not an issue for me if you are old enough to know what you are doing and have a mature attitude then fine.  My only issue is with teens and young people that are driven and susceptible to peer pressure.   

I have seen no rules yet that state that you can not sell a legal drug to anyone of any age at this point.  

Anutin screwed the pooch and put the cart in front of the horse.  

Pot should not have been legalized until the rules of the game had been made.

Imagine playing football before there were any rules.  Picking up the ball and carrying it to the other end, tackling would be allowed

Why is shish still banned if they are allowing marijuana