Increasing Water Pressure - Installing a Pump without a Tank?

Morakot

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe where you come from not TIT.

Actually it is and direct pumping from mains is not allowed (not saying some do not still do it - but they are much fewer than previously). 

Holding tank filled by mains.  Be sure it blocks all sun (not light blue tanks used for farms).  Pump from tank.  Choice of normal well type pump with built in tank that keeps pressure - or pumps that operate full time when water used.  The idea that 4 psi is going to make people happy is nonsense in my mind and experience but it is a personal opinion - but you do not see many homes with water towers these days - most of us are used to about 40 psi I suspect and anything below about 20 psi is not likely to make us happy campers.

Be aware pumps come with various noise levels so that is often a real concern in city.  Grundfos is normally on the very quiet side.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it is and direct pumping from mains is not allowed (not saying some do not still do it - but they are much fewer than previously). 

Holding tank filled by mains.  Be sure it blocks all sun (not light blue tanks used for farms).  Pump from tank.  Choice of normal well type pump with built in tank that keeps pressure - or pumps that operate full time when water used.  The idea that 4 psi is going to make people happy is nonsense in my mind and experience but it is a personal opinion - but you do not see many homes with water towers these days - most of us are used to about 40 psi I suspect and anything below about 20 psi is not likely to make us happy campers.

Be aware pumps come with various noise levels so that is often a real concern in city.  Grundfos is normally on the very quiet side.

Yeah I have never had to worry about water where I  live, water for our house and for our farm is not or never a problem, eventually it is only the pumps that need attention after many years and the Well on the farm where I can suck as much water as I want.????????????

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What part about " This is Thailand"  do you not understand. ????

My understanding is that there are few, rare "rogue" households that are still unaware or couldn't care less..

Have you actually seen anyone still running such setups?

Even in remote villages with centralized water distribution system?

And if they do, then those must be exclusively leftovers from prior days of everything goes DIY setups.

I'm certain no contractor in modern times would even consider doing direct hookup.

Edited by unheard

On 9/19/2022 at 2:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

We have this with 255 Watts for a two story house.

(but still a separate tank for the deep well water)

How's your experience with that pump?

My question is related to the shower heater usage if you have one.

Does the water pressure and temperature noticeably fluctuate (pressure tank refill cycle)?

1 hour ago, unheard said:

How's your experience with that pump?

My question is related to the shower heater usage if you have one.

Does the water pressure and temperature noticeably fluctuate (pressure tank refill cycle)?

We have that same pump, mrs will not have a tank for some daft reason. Lasted 10 years with minor repair. It did start to leak last year from pin hole rust spots. Use with good filter like pure and should be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for everyone comments; a lot of good advice.

However I'm slightly surprised about the turn of the conversation here!

I am neither a plumber nor a hydraulics engineer. I simply came here to get some practical help, as well as understand the rational behind your kind suggestions.

Btw, a long-term interlocutor to this forum contacted me via PM and presented this insight (see below).

Again thank you everyone for sharing their ideas and experiences! I weighted the pros & cons, and  I've made up my mind; it's very likely that I will get a tank when I install the pump.

It is very common in Bangkok to have a pump in a shop house to get water to the top floor. A common Mitsubishi water pump say 250W will do the job. [...]

I lived in Bangkok for [XX] years with no tank jus pump as did all my neighbors. Ours were under the stairs. 

If you have room for a tank, say, in a carport then it does give minimal supply security but most guys with tanks live in outlying areas with dodgy supply not in Bangkok.

23 minutes ago, Morakot said:

I weighted the pros & cons, and  I've made up my mind; it's very likely that I will get a tank when I install the pump.

Unless I'm missing something, but you're obligated by law to have a tank if using a pump.

It's not an option to go tank free.

Again, unless I'm missing something and your pump won't be directly tapped into the municipal water supply.

Here are the only available legal installation diagrams, straight from Hitachi and Mitsubishi:

2002271104_tankinstall.PNG.eb6f0e45f4ad21d85a19cb1c57dfa4db.PNG

tank install 1.PNG

Edited by unheard

29 minutes ago, Morakot said:

Any citation for that regulation?

I'd like to know as well..

You can ask any contractor. They'll tell you exactly what it is.

I've really never bothered to look for a specific citation since the "law" is well known and just common sense, or so I thought.

Edited by unheard

After a quick search that's the best I could come up in English (sort of).

"This is very important. I believe that there are probably many people who do not know that there is a law enforcing " not to use water pumps to suck directly from the central water supply pipe " in order not to affect the public use of water."

https://wave.co.th/2021/06/12/ถังเก็บน้ำสำคัญอย่างไร/

Look at number 3.

tank law.PNG

Edited by unheard
  • Thanks 1