Huge price increase.

ripstanley

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference: Being a Type 2 diabetic, any canned food in syrup is a "no, no". As other posts have suggested, I buy frozen peaches from MAKRO in Siem Reap (Cambodia) where I now live. I used to live near Phayao and I know you have a MAKRO . Here frozen peaches are sold in 1 KG bags and are currently on special offer. My freezer is now well stocked!  I use sweetener on them.

FZ HALVES PEACH-ARO-1 KG

Code 150183
$2.40
-16%
$2.00 (about 74 baht!!)

product

thank you for the price of peaches in cambodia, its a real help,

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

But the experts don't all agree...

No one disputes that BPA is toxic at high levels of exposure. But experts are divided over whether BPA at the low levels found in foods poses significant risks to human health.

FSANZ, in line with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), maintains that it's safe to ingest up to 50 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight per day - none of the foods we tested delivers more than 10% of this amount per serving.

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

But the experts don't all agree...

No one disputes that BPA is toxic at high levels of exposure. But experts are divided over whether BPA at the low levels found in foods poses significant risks to human health.

FSANZ, in line with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), maintains that it's safe to ingest up to 50 micrograms of BPA per kilogram of body weight per day - none of the foods we tested delivers more than 10% of this amount per serving.

Up to you, prefer real fresh fruit. 

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Up to you, prefer real fresh fruit. 

Not up to me I just post what's being proven. 

Fresh fruit you say, I haven't seen any decent fresh fruit here ,It all has been picked to early so no taste , just look at the tomatoes none of them are ripe.

I am growing my own Veg , well whatever we can grow here and survives.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Not up to me I just post what's being proven. 

Fresh fruit you say, I haven't seen any decent fresh fruit here ,It all has been picked to early so no taste , just look at the tomatoes none of them are ripe.

I am growing my own Veg , well whatever we can grow here and survives.

It is up to you to choose what to eat.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

The govt is not lying.

Do you know how inflation is measured? A basket of goods is put together. The folks who assemble the basket try to determine what the average citizen spends on everything from rent/mortgage to gas to home electricity to clothing to medical care to the Standard American Diet (SAD, a perfect abbreviation)

The basket should reflect the average consumer. Obviously some people consume way outside of the average, so they feel inflation more, or less, than this average.

Lots of investment banks have analysts who also construct baskets of goods and services, and their numbers tend to closely reflect what the Commerce Dept puts out.

Somebody sees milk prices rose, say, 20% and they extrapolate that increase over every single cost they have, deciding that inflation is 20% and the govt is lying. Maybe their rent, a much more impactful monthly cost, is only up 3% year-on-year.  Maybe they spend $300 per year on milk, but $12000 for rent, yet they extrapolate the milk price rise, not the much less but more impactful rent increase. Human nature.

The basket does not even come close to reflecting the average consumer. Every time I go back to the US, things are 20% higher, and I have been back 3 times in the past 9 months. 

When a chicken sandwich at Carl's Jr. goes up 70% in one year, they are not reflecting the average consumer increases, with that deceptive number. Same with their French fries going from $2.29 to $3.99 in one year. 

Sorry. But this is covid gouging, and not 8.5% inflation. That is a sick joke, intended to deceive the most naive. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

^ dairy products - what's country of origin; recently back from a stay in New Zealand where the price of cheese / dairy products seems to be a national indicator of inflation most often quotes in news as impact on familiy expenditure ... huge price increases there, and NZ's Fonterra is the world's largest dairy producer.

Lotus's Go Fresh has NZ's Mainland Tasty Cheddar 250g for 209 baht (NZ$9.50) buy the same item in NZ 187 baht (NZ$8.49). Freight and mark-ups no doubt, but the prices have definitely risen.

Three years ago - Tesco Lotus often had Mainland cheese selling at equal and sometimes even lower prices than in NZ. 

Yes, the 250 gram block size is a ripoff here in New Zealand. But the 1 kg Mainland tasty is not so bad. $16.99 for 1 kg is fine. 250 grams currently $5.99, or around 130 baht. Pang!

15 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference: Being a Type 2 diabetic, any canned food in syrup is a "no, no". As other posts have suggested, I buy frozen peaches from MAKRO in Siem Reap (Cambodia) where I now live. I used to live near Phayao and I know you have a MAKRO . Here frozen peaches are sold in 1 KG bags and are currently on special offer. My freezer is now well stocked!  I use sweetener on them.

FZ HALVES PEACH-ARO-1 KG

Code 150183
$2.40
-16%
$2.00 (about 74 baht!!)

product

Made in China.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:51 PM, Kenny202 said:

Makro have frozen peaches 2kg bag for about 80 baht. They are awesome. Cut up slices, put in a pot semi covered with water and about 4 desert spoons of sugar or to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes and result exactly the same as tin peaches in syrup. You will not be sorry

That was good, although i used cane syrup, have you tried with any other frozen or fresh fruit?

Edited by scubascuba3

9 hours ago, davemos said:

Made in China

Thank you, yes I know.

37% of the World's fruit and vegetables are supplied by China (Wikipedia).

I have been eating Makro's frozen Chinese peaches since pre-pandemic days and interestingly, I have never been tested for, or experienced symptoms of Covid-19. 3 of my jabs were Chinese Sinovac.

48 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I dont think ive eaten canned fruit in donkeys years,here in Pattaya by our house a whole watermelon 30baht ,wife buys lots of fruit and veg from beside the road ,cheap and always fresh .

Fruit in juice often ice cold is a different experience to just eating fresh fruit, it's more of a dessert experience, for me anyway

Makro have frozen peaches 2kg bag for about 80 baht. They are awesome. Cut up slices, put in a pot semi covered with water and about 4 desert spoons of sugar or to taste. Simmer for about 15 minutes and result exactly the same as tin peaches in syrup. You will not be sorry

Thanks a lot for the tip. Wifey bought a bag today because of your advice. But I do not understand completely what you mean by "semi covered with water". You need to stir then all the time or what is the idea that all peaches get cooked if they are only covered by 50% with water ?

My wife made some according to your instructions. Good advice. Thanks for the suggestion.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

also good with frozen strawberries although 10 mins works well, no lid 

For sure. Can try, as well as the blueberries (they sell as well some in BIG C Extra).

Thailand has changed for the better a lot concerning fresh fruits. My wife buys local strawberries at a market in Sattahip which are really very good (when in season). And I mean not good considering that this is Thailand, but REALLY good. And comparatively cheap.

They have as well the best grapes (although imported) and fresh blueberries are available from Peru in 500g packages at Makro and not too expensive either. The best grapes are from the US although they come with a hefty price tag (TOPS Central Festival). Never had such quality even in Europe. I recently saw as well Shine Muskat Grapes from Japan (for the neglegible obulus of only THB 4'300.-- per kg ???? at Villa Market, but this price range is rare even over here). Japanese are a bit crazy if it comes to the prices of certain foods. I know of a pair of ("ordinary") honey melons for a mere US$ 42'000.--. And the most expensive tuna ever was auctioned for about 3 Mio US$ (no printing error - one fish only).

What is still missing are really good pears which are affordable plus ready to eat and cheaper rasberries. On the positive side, their selection of apples is second to none.